Perch advice...?

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bscman
Warrant Officer

Perch advice...?

Post by Bscman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:22 am

Hey all,
I was wonderin' if you could help me out a bit.

With some talk recently about perch, and how tasty they are, I've decided it's due time to give 'em a full-fledged effort...
I've caught perch in the past, but never in large numbers and ALWAYS when I was targeting another species.

What I'm looking for is some tips on gear...I have next to nothing I could use to target these critters.

Small jigs?
Worms/maggots under bobbers?
Dead-baits?
Lures?

What colors and sizes do you recommened, and how do you set up your rigs?

I've heard they're typically found near the bottom, usually in 10-20ft of water.
Do they prefer to hang around structure? Coves? Weedlines?

Sorry if I asked too much...I rarely dive much out of the trout arena. :cyclops:

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

RE:Perch advice...?

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:21 am

basically, all you need is a small hook and a bit of worm/nightcrawler. Fish at the edges of the weedlines until you find them.

You can use a bunch of different lures and baits, but the plain old worm and hook is the best starter and all around rig for them.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:42 am

Once you catch one, cut out its eyeball and put that on the hook. Perch Eyes will last about 5 or 6 fish before it finally falls off. 10 feet of water just about anywhere in Lake Washington. They won't be big though.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:30 am

Joe Heater knows it.I use the eyes or the tounge from perch to catch them.Also Bullhead meat is another great bait.Whats good about Bullhead tails is that they last for a long time.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:16 am

Hi All,

Like Bscman, I want to get hooked up with perch (or actually just want my kids to think I can get them into a fishing hole). We spent a couple hours on Saturday in the East Channel and up to Groat Point, which I thought were the prime spots on the east side of Lake Washington. Not even a bite (white curly tail jigs with smelly jelly--we'll try worms next time).

After reading a lot about them I thought I'd be able to locate a school on my fishfinder but couldn't. Should I just forget the finder and hang a worm over until we have luck? Maybe we were too deep--didn't get into 10 ft.

Any advice to keep us from getting skunked again is appreciate. Thanks.
Gary

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:34 pm

I FISH SOUTH LAKE WASHINGTON 3-4 NIGHTS A WEEK (AFTER WORK FOR 2-3 HOURS). DO NOT IGNORE YOUR FISHFINDER, BUT, PAY ATTENTION TO IT MORE. I USED TO GO RIGHT BY THE SCHOOLS THINKING THEY WERE CLUTTER, BUT, A COUPLE OF KIRKLAND MILITARY VETERANS WHO FISH FOR THEM RELIGIOUSLY SHOWED ME THE TICKET AWHILE BACK. THEY ARE STARTING TO COME SHALLOWER, BUT, HAVE CAUGHT THEM IN 40 FT. OF WATER RECENTLY. I DRAG A BOTTOM-WALKER, UTILIZING MY FISH-FINDER, UNTIL I RUN INTO A SCHOOL OR THAT CLUTTER YOU WILL SEE, THEN I START TOSSING THE LARGER SWEDISH PIMPLES (STOP TROLLING). I USE THE LARGER PIMPLES TO GET PAST THE 6-9 INCHER'S THAT ARE ON THE TOPS OF THESE SCHOOLS. CABELA'S HAS ALL THE SIZES NEEDED NOW. OF COURSE, TIP THE HOOKS WITH WORMS. IM FINDING THE BITE TURNING ON RIGHT AT DARK. GOOD LUCK!!!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 pm

I have a spot on the Uof W area that produces 6-11'' perch consistantly.Its a heck of a walk but worth it.We use a double hook set up with weight on the bottom.Sometimes we get 2 at once.The perch by Seward Park area are much smaller.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bruce Nelson
Petty Officer

Post by Bruce Nelson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:24 am

I use a size 6 baitholder and start with a worm, then switch to a piece of perch meat if I catch a small one. Just cut a small pennant shaped fillet off the side. This bait is tough and will last through a lot of fish. I fish just a crank or two off the bottom. Joe Heater is right about perch eyes being good bait.

Bruce Nelson

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:20 pm

down here in lacamas i got 5 yellows in ten min's, with a brown trout magnet (walmart) and a skinny crappie. no bait need.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Also, you won't need to get up super early to catch them. You can catch as many during high noon, as early morning. Finding them is key.

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 pm

I have had some very good luck with Perch recently... along weed lines is the best place to find them... little jigs with worm down near the bottom... the earlier in the day the shallower the water they will be in... as it gets warmer throughout the day move into deeper water... but anything with a worm on it! worms work AWESOME!
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:07 pm

I highly recommend the 1/4 oz "perch velcro". :-$
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:54 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:I highly recommend the 1/4 oz "perch velcro". :-$
Hahaha. I got those in glass perch pattern..hopefully it will keep them away!

And for the perch fishing..if you're looking for eating size perch, im pretty sure lake washington and sammamish are you're best bets. Ive never caught a eating size perch in any other lake. I dont even know if smaller lakes allow perch to get big. Im not sure where Sedro Wooley is, but if its near WA or Samm, go there!

Lake Washington takes a while to get into larger perch. All the piers in the Seward Park area have perch, but you throw about a million back before you catch any good ones. It seems like just before it gets dark, larger perch move up. My favorite pier is the one on the peninsula of Seward park. Its about a mile walk from the parking lot though.
On the side of the peninsula towards bellevue is where the HUUUUUGE perch live. Just go to the old trout hatchery, and throw your line out as far as possible. You need alot of weight to get past the weeds. My dad and i both caught several perch over 1lb from there last summer. Im sure it would be the same this year.

In Sammamish, its pretty easy to find them (from boat). Just go sit on the north end of the lake in from 8 to 18 ft, throw a piece of a night crawler behind a few splitshots, let it sink to the bottom and then slowy retrieve it. I promise you will get some perch!! You will still catch some little ones, but you will also alot of keepers.

Heres a pic of some Sammy perch. first 3 fish are 12.5 inch then the next four are 12 and the rest are all a little smaller. But for perch, those are nice sizes.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:05 pm

JT26 wrote:
HillbillyGeek wrote:I highly recommend the 1/4 oz "perch velcro". :-$
Hahaha. I got those in glass perch pattern..hopefully it will keep them away!

And for the perch fishing..if you're looking for eating size perch, im pretty sure lake washington and sammamish are you're best bets. Ive never caught a eating size perch in any other lake. I dont even know if smaller lakes allow perch to get big. Im not sure where Sedro Wooley is, but if its near WA or Samm, go there!

Lake Washington takes a while to get into larger perch. All the piers in the Seward Park area have perch, but you throw about a million back before you catch any good ones. It seems like just before it gets dark, larger perch move up. My favorite pier is the one on the peninsula of Seward park. Its about a mile walk from the parking lot though.
On the side of the peninsula towards bellevue is where the HUUUUUGE perch live. Just go to the old trout hatchery, and throw your line out as far as possible. You need alot of weight to get past the weeds. My dad and i both caught several perch over 1lb from there last summer. Im sure it would be the same this year.

In Sammamish, its pretty easy to find them (from boat). Just go sit on the north end of the lake in from 8 to 18 ft, throw a piece of a night crawler behind a few splitshots, let it sink to the bottom and then slowy retrieve it. I promise you will get some perch!! You will still catch some little ones, but you will also alot of keepers.

Heres a pic of some Sammy perch. first 3 fish are 12.5 inch then the next four are 12 and the rest are all a little smaller. But for perch, those are nice sizes.
Wow! That's a nice catch! Perch are GREAT eating. :chef:

They are also very aggressive for a "panfish". When they hit a little crankbiat, they'll knock the paint off it!

Unfortunately, they don't put up much of a fight once they are hooked -- just like walleye. Don't get me wrong, they DO fight, but pound-for-pound, they aren't in the same league as smallmouth bass. (not even close)
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:17 pm

I love the first hit of a perch. Even the little ones are super aggressive on the hit. But then they just give up.

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:50 pm

what works the best for me is old faithful, a worm and sinker especially on lake washington near the weedlines.
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:20 pm

That's a nice batch of Perch JT,..funny we blow by that pier on the peninnsula all the time and never give it a 2nd look,..maybe next time we'll weigh anchor and fish for some Perch,..give the old Bassin Arms a well deserved break,..what do you think bassfanatic,..? Good job JT!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:20 am

How do you guys cook them? I've brought a few home over the past season..and haven;t really fallen in love with the taste?

I'm assuming frying is the way to go?

My buddy in TX said he guts them, removes the head and skin..and fries up the rest...

eats the bones and all? Has anyone else heard of this?

I steamed a couple for the misses and me with some ginger and random vegetables, good, but was picking through them because the bones.
Attachments
HPIM2652resize.jpg
HPIM2652resize.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 3250 times

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:24 am

[quote="PaulReilly"]How do you guys cook them? I've brought a few home over the past season..and haven]

Yup, that is the way to go. I fry majority of my freshwater fish..bluegill, crappie, perch, bass, etc..
Go Huskies!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Perch=The Other White Meat

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”