Cabelas

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
noclothes1
Lieutenant

Cabelas

Post by noclothes1 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm super stoked. My wife and I are going to visit a friend in Shelton from up here in Bellingham. Which means I have to drive through Lacey. Therefore I will be making my first stop at our (as in WA) new Cabelas store. I hope to pick up some swimbaits and Big ikas if they have em. Is there anything that I must check out or pick up? I looked at the website and the store looks huge.

Sorry for such a lame topic but I'm bored at work and I'm looking forward to paying the wife back for all the dang times she drug me to mall.

:cheers: WIN!!
"It's the failure that keeps me coming back"

TravisRush
Commander

RE:Cabelas

Post by TravisRush » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm

They have a pretty sick "aquarium"...HUGE trout and some nice bass

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:41 pm

:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:05 pm

What kind of dropshot hooks could you be talking about,Gamakatsu makes the best:cheers: ,no one needs them fancy standout hooks if thats what you are thinking of:-k
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Seconded on the aquarium. It's insane. Bring some quarters - there's always a bunch of little kids watching the fish and you can put a quarter in the machine to get some Trout Snacks for them to toss in the water. The trout wolf them down and the kids always get a kick out of it. Watching the kids' reactions is almost as good as watching those monster trout.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:09 pm

Yeah that's probly it Sparky,..I've decided against it anyways,..I picked up some Gama-hooks ,..funny you should bring it up,..thanks though!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Don't expect to find much as far as fishing around here:-" I go to Sportsmans for fishing tackle after I go cruise the hunting section.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

lemagoat
Warrant Officer

Post by lemagoat » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:49 pm

My 2 cents on the store is other then the fish in the aq, the store is kinda lame and much more spendy then anywhere else right across I-5 sportsman wharehouse is much better. I couldnt even find any 7in plastic worms at the store and they have 4 rows of plastics!
Live life, Love your wife, drive a goat, Catch a hog and be happy

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:12 am

You will come out better to order from bass pro shops and cheeper!
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:04 pm

hey brownbomer, the store is less then 5 mins off the freeway but you have to circle around two traffic circles to get there. bis ass aquarium big boat selection and big prices to. but it is fun to go so you can say youve been. get a new hat and tee shirt. and try the shooting gallery up stairs.
stan
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:37 pm

lemagoat wrote:My 2 cents on the store is other then the fish in the aq, the store is kinda lame and much more spendy then anywhere else right across I-5 sportsman wharehouse is much better. I couldnt even find any 7in plastic worms at the store and they have 4 rows of plastics!
I couldnt agree with you anymore. Sportsmans has just as good of quality lures and even a bit better variety. Plus its a shorter drive and the lures arent as expensive. Who needs the aquarium, hit the lake and bring the aquarium to you.
If in doubt set the hook!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:11 pm

Thanks vacouverhandyman,..since I'll be in the area I'll give it a shot!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:51 am

The store was pretty huge. I wish I had more time to browse. If I ever go again I will for sure plan to eat at the cafe upstairs. The food looked amazing. As for my shopping list....I picked up some paddle tail swimbaits, but they had absolutely no hooks for them. They appeared to be all out. No Fat Ikas either. Bummer. All in all it was a good time and I saw lots of interesting items. I got my 1 yo daughter a Cabelas rag doll that she picked up and wouldn't put down. We fed the trout. I was a good time. I wish we had a BPS near by. Next time I'm down there I'll have to stop at Sportsman's. Well, anyway, back to work. MONDAYS.........

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 am

The Cabela's store didn't impress me too much. The aquarium was awesome though. You can see the Store from the freeway, but you have to circle around all those streets to get there- LAME. The prices are definetly not that good, plus we now have to pay tax on anything ordered online. Not the greatest now is it #-o
aka Powerworm

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:52 pm

when you go there make sure to go to the bargain cave thats the only reason i ever go out there got an 80 dollar st croix ultra lite one time for 35 bucks just had a lil tiny chip in it
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 am

Yes I agree a B-P-S would be awesome in this area,..it would definately get alot of traffic no matter where it is in the state! Too bad!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:16 pm

BPS is the only way!!!:cheers: But cabelas is pretty cool too. Some nice bass boats...:compress:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 pm

lemagoat wrote:My 2 cents on the store is other then the fish in the aq, the store is kinda lame and much more spendy then anywhere else right across I-5 sportsman wharehouse is much better. I couldnt even find any 7in plastic worms at the store and they have 4 rows of plastics!
+1. Hate to burst your bubble noclothes, but it ain't as awesome as you would think. More tackle for fish we never get the chance to fish for
(more deep sea saltwater stuff then salmon stuff) and actually pretty awful prices. Good selection of reels and bass stuff if thats what your there for, but again, prices aren't great. Management can't get the correct gear in the store, I don't know if it's them not caring or what...

I've heard some folks say a BPS just blows Cabela's away...Much bigger/cooler....

They've been getting beat up pretty badly on internet forums/BB's and I know on one other board I know one of the managers created an account, replied to a thread regarding their store and mentioned they have a pretty bureaucratic system so even while the store managers are supposedly working hard to get a more local tackle selection, they have tons of stuff/people to pass through, so the process is very slow.

I will say this, if you are nearby or are driving by, it's worth stopping by, but not worth spending money. I now put almost all of my money to local tackle shops, and will continue to do so for obvious reasons. I like being able to go in, find everything I need and have great local knowledge and be assured that the sales associates are giving good info, not regurgitated second hand stuff they read on the internet or are BS'ing so they can get through the conversation. Happens all too often at the bigger (chain) stores...
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 pm

Well said Sam! Or well written,...LOL
"Passion-4-Bassin"

noclothes1
Lieutenant

Post by noclothes1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:40 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
+1. Hate to burst your bubble noclothes, but it ain't as awesome as you would think. More tackle for fish we never get the chance to fish for
(more deep sea saltwater stuff then salmon stuff) and actually pretty awful prices. Good selection of reels and bass stuff if thats what your there for, but again, prices aren't great. Management can't get the correct gear in the store, I don't know if it's them not caring or what...

I've heard some folks say a BPS just blows Cabela's away...Much bigger/cooler....

They've been getting beat up pretty badly on internet forums/BB's and I know on one other board I know one of the managers created an account, replied to a thread regarding their store and mentioned they have a pretty bureaucratic system so even while the store managers are supposedly working hard to get a more local tackle selection, they have tons of stuff/people to pass through, so the process is very slow.

I will say this, if you are nearby or are driving by, it's worth stopping by, but not worth spending money. I now put almost all of my money to local tackle shops, and will continue to do so for obvious reasons. I like being able to go in, find everything I need and have great local knowledge and be assured that the sales associates are giving good info, not regurgitated second hand stuff they read on the internet or are BS'ing so they can get through the conversation. Happens all too often at the bigger (chain) stores...
I thought the store was entertaining. I would have liked to look around more. I'm the ultimate window shopper I only spent $15. I just like to look at stuff, beyond fishing gear. Good point about the local tackle stores. What I like about mine is that on the shelfs they have what works. No nonsense. As for them not having the right gear, it will take time. I am familiar with process of product line reviews and buyer meetings at larger nationwide chains. They may get it right. The thing I noticed was that there was several hundred people in the store, but only 3 checkouts open, and no lines. I think more people are looking than buying.