Crabbing results anybody??

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Dave
Commodore

RE:Crabbing results anybody??

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:24 am

Rolland,

Sounds good. I am thinking if my wife and I go today, it will be around 2 or 3 pm. Not positive yet but hoping we can get out on the water for a few hours. I'm hoping this new spot in 8-1 will be hot. It's up by Camp Grandy which is at the North west corner of Camano Island. I'm going for sure this Friday (tomorrow) at 0600 hrs w/buddies from work. With Sam's blessing, we are gonna give his spot a try. Also might try the oil docks in Mukilteo which was recommended by a guy at work. I'll let you all know how it goes. On Friday I will be the biggest guy in a 21 foot Crestliner in case you are out there Rolland. Side note since I said I would be the biggest guy on the boat on Friday; as of this morning I have lost 70 pounds in just under 7 months. Done by eating healthy and working out, aka the old fashioned way. I'm Jacked! There will be four of us on board this Friday.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Good luck to all you crabby crabbers.Im jealos with my new hours I will have Saturdays only for a while to get in what I can.Just leave me a few.Hehehe
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:05 pm

just got back...gotta get the report/pics together then i'll give an update...

UPDATE:

well it was alright considering the short time i was out. crab were active, so were the salmon. 2-5 slack was awesome. six total crab, 4 c&r Rockfish, 2 c&r ling, 1 c&r (cracker) chinook. pretty active for three hours. wind picked up a bit later, but can't wait for tomorrow.....i have a feeling it will be better than today, and i'll be posting some salmon pics for sure....:bom:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:just got back...gotta get the report/pics together then i'll give an update...

UPDATE:

well it was alright considering the short time i was out. crab were active, so were the salmon. 2-5 slack was awesome. six total crab, 4 c&r Rockfish, 2 c&r ling, 1 c&r (cracker) chinook. pretty active for three hours. wind picked up a bit later, but can't wait for tomorrow.....i have a feeling it will be better than today, and i'll be posting some salmon pics for sure....:bom:
]

God I'm jealous you can keep salmon already...July 16th is my green light for retention in Area 9, can't freaking wait. I know the blackmouth are THICK out there, but I'm looking for those clipped kings, nice 10-20 lb fish...

I'm gonna be doing a lot of crabbing tomorrow and Saturday, going to also pick up a rockfish every day I think, for the bbq...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 pm

well you got six days to wait Sam K, no big deal. i wish i had your experience so i COULD keep one....:salut: (you have to get them in the boat to keep'um, right??)

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:well you got six days to wait Sam K, no big deal. i wish i had your experience so i COULD keep one....:salut: (you have to get them in the boat to keep'um, right??)
HUUUGGEEE Deal. That's the biggest date of the summer for me, no question. Gonna be a long 6 days, and I am seeing tons of bait and fish jumping out there too...

I just blew another $50 at Joes buying lures, line, leader, etc., getting ready for that fishery...Salmon fishing seems to put the fattest dent in my pocket.....

Those salmon can be tricky to keep on sometimes. I've had streaks where I'll go a few days, get 10 hits and land EVERY ONE of them. But then I've had days where I'll make ONE DRIFT along a productive area, get 4 hits and not even get ONE to stick for longer then a few seconds....What do ya do? Same gear, same technique, etc, just gotta stay optimistic I guess and hope the next one sticks, eventually one will...

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:26 pm

I dont mind crackering a chinookie every so often.What slays me is when you got the fight of your life going on and then its gone,but still feels draggy a lil bit.When you reel in you see a 1/2 of fish and blood in the water where the darned sea-lion took a chunk.They got me 2 times last year like that.
The other bad part is I'll be in Yakama all day Saturday buying okra.I'll have to wait 2 weeks to crab again.Next week is the picnic.hmmmmmmmmmmm
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:11 pm

Crabbed in 8-2 today and killed em. 20 nice keepers in under 3 hours, 4 on board. Report submitted in the salt report section, 8-2. Here is a pic of the live well stuffed with the 20. The crab on top of the pile is 8" across.
Attachments
IMG_1938_Small.jpg
IMG_1938_Small.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:41 pm

nice work dave...great pic also. i got 4+2 (RR/D) this evening so they were moving...

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Rolland, were you in 8-1 or 7? Nice work also. It's just nice to get some keepers without having to work all day for a few.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:19 am

Dave wrote:Rolland, were you in 8-1 or 7? Nice work also. It's just nice to get some keepers without having to work all day for a few.
area 7. i REALLY want to hit 8-1, but same old story, it's an extra $30 in fuel. i have to rationalize...$30 bucks will get me out 2-3 times up here. stupid fuel. anyway, let's keep up the good work and i'll be out later this evening and tomorrow probably. Plus, i bought a ticket for the Bellingham Salmon Derby, and i already had a nice weigh-able chinook on.....come on big money!!!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:22 pm

I totally understand the gas issue. It cost me 55 bucks to fill my tank the other day. I like to stay close to home when it's like this so I don't blame you. Good luck fishing.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:14 pm

Decent crabbing for me last Friday and Saturday (11th and 12th)
Not red hot, but got 4 each day pulling my two pots once a day, so enough crab for me to have and to give the neighbors...

Also went out looking for rockfish but ended up having to CnR a big ling instead. Oh well, I know where he is so next season, watch out Mr. Ling, I'll find ya!

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks of crabbing. It always seems to be slow at the start of the season then heats up and is pretty darn good by late July, and continues to be until mid August when it gets picked clean.....

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:12 am

my parent went out to spencers spit and cought 10 keepers in two pots. they only set them for 3hrs
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:04 pm

not worth a full report.....or else i would,

went to B-ham bay this afternoon for slack, lots of boats, lots of buoys, lots of crab. to bad i ended up with 8 male dungies, all 6 to 6 1/8 in. can't keep those. i only dropped for two hours, wind was terrible (3 ft'ers). saw lots of keepers, but at this point looks like a lot of sorting already, it just opened yesterday. overnight soaks got limits......
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:09 pm

Absolutely great crabbing again this first day of my 3 days off. We crabbed 8-2 this morning, same spot as last week, south of Hat Island in 65 to 125 feet of water. In 1 1/2 hrs (8 pots set, 4 of us on board) we handled 25 keepers, returning a limit of 5, and keeping our limits, 20 total. We also released numerous males that were barely under legal size. Also lots of healthy females. Pots had between 15 and 35 crabs in each in that short soak time. Report submitted in salt section, area 8-2. I have crabbed this area twice now this season on my buddy's boat. He also went once last week with his wife and 12 year old. Everyone has limited on all 3 trips in under 2.5 hrs. Total kept in 3 trips as of last Thursday, 55 crabs or 11 limits. Outstanding! This area was clearly not fished by commercial or tribal crabbers.

15 or 16 in this pot, 4 were keepers, 3 or 4 others were just under.
Attachments
IMG_1967_Small.jpg
IMG_1967_Small.jpg (34.67 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Alright, that's it....i'm stopping at 8-2 before the BBQ on Saturday morning........

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Once again absolutely great crabbing in 8-2. We (3 of us) set 6 pots south of Hat Island in 65 to 80 feet of water at 7am and returned to check them at noon. 3 of the 6 pots had been raided or picked by unknown A-H's, the other three yielded 30 male keepers. We kept our 15 and returned 15 keepers to the water. No fictitious stories here, one pot had 38 crab in it. (See pic of that full pot in my report) OMG it was absolutely fantastic! We have crabbed this spot now 3 weeks in a row and have limited effortlessly every time out. The full report is in the salt section, area 8-2.
Attachments
IMG_2033_Small.jpg
IMG_2033_Small.jpg (56.37 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
IMG_2026_Small.jpg
IMG_2026_Small.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:50 pm

Good looking on the pictures there Dave...You don't cook them whole/live?

I think they taste better when you dump em in live/whole and cook em in a pot loaded with water and rock salt for 15 minutes at a rolling boil....They seem to cook in their fat/juices and they get a great taste when cooked whole. Just my opinion though...

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 pm

Hey Sam,

Yea, I always cook my crab live in the Sound water. This trip since I was on my buddy’s boat, we went to his house after the outing and I decided to hang out and help him wash his boat and he cooked them up cleaning them first. Usually when I am a guest on his boat, I take my 5 home and cook them on my front porch in the Sound salt water but this time it was actually nice to just take them home cooked, cleaned and on ice. But I agree with you that they taste better cooking them live. I haven't sampled this limit yet but will tomorrow. It was a long day.