catching crappie in western WA

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Home Skillet 123
Angler

catching crappie in western WA

Post by Home Skillet 123 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:41 pm

man i just caught my first crappie recently on lake sawyer and now im hooked anyone know where i can get into sum serious crappie fishing

heck if anyone has tips on where to catch a lot of panfish im listening

CK14
Lieutenant

RE:catching crappie in western WA

Post by CK14 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:24 pm

roesiger has some nice crappie...gotta search a little for em though. the key i found last year was small, 1/100oz-1/64oz jigs casted and slowly jigged over the weeds. i couldn't get a single fish on a bobber....

there's a lot of fish in tanwax, not to much size though. same with cassidy.

you can catch a lot of perch in lake washington...

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:30 pm

CK14 wrote:roesiger has some nice crappie...gotta search a little for em though. the key i found last year was small, 1/100oz-1/64oz jigs casted and slowly jigged over the weeds. i couldn't get a single fish on a bobber....

there's a lot of fish in tanwax, not to much size though. same with cassidy.

you can catch a lot of perch in lake washington...
What brand are the 1/100oz jigs? where do you get them? and do you use 2lb test or does 4 still work?

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:41 pm

i use glo ez jigs that i found on ebay. they are simple but flat out catch fish. i don't really know for sure if they are 1/100oz, but i think they are at least 1/80oz. either way they are super light. i use 4lb.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Yeah 1/100oz in tiny. But they do exist, I have just never seen them. I was thinking they have to weight about as much as a fly or nymph. Thats got be be next to impossible to cast, but with those you probably don't cast much. Thanks for the tips CK

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:55 pm

http://thumpitjigs.com/ they have the 1/100oz jigs here.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:14 pm

Kitsap County's Long Lake has some nice crappie. While fishing for bass earlier this spring, I hooked a 16 inch, 2 pound, 4 ounce crappie on a 1/4 ounce bass jig. Picture on Mike Carey's Long Lake report.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:36 pm

1/32 oz white jig with a small white twister tail. real very slowly and twitch it every so often.

Lake Cassidy is full of them. I don't even go there until 9pm or so and fish until well after dark. There is a 9 inch slot limit on them and you will be lucky to keep 1 that is 9 inches. Slot limits certainly have there place and are useful, but the state really needs to get rid of it on Cassidy. That thing is way over populated with small crappies. It isn't going to get any better.

Panther lake and Roesigner are some other crappie lakes.

Towards evening I would suggest fishing in or near lilly pads. Before that if you know of any submerged brush piles they love to hang out there.

You are doing the right thing here because most people on this site love to help out. I heard a lot about maggots when I was strugglin to catch them here. Eventually I found what they really wanted. a small white mister twister with a white lead head jig. I haven't fished for them in a month or so things may have changed.

Good fishing.
Joe
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:13 pm

Bass Tracker wrote:Kitsap County's Long Lake has some nice crappie. While fishing for bass earlier this spring, I hooked a 16 inch, 2 pound, 4 ounce crappie on a 1/4 ounce bass jig. Picture on Mike Carey's Long Lake report.
Have you caught the crappie up by the lillypads or another area on the lake?

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:13 am

jbball50 wrote:
Bass Tracker wrote:Kitsap County's Long Lake has some nice crappie. While fishing for bass earlier this spring, I hooked a 16 inch, 2 pound, 4 ounce crappie on a 1/4 ounce bass jig. Picture on Mike Carey's Long Lake report.
Have you caught the crappie up by the lillypads or another area on the lake?
:

That big one was caught by a big off-shore log on the west side of the lake.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

martekk42
Petty Officer

Post by martekk42 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:15 pm

Fished Sawyer abit this year ..great smally fishing as well as some very nice trout..
Big perch as well.. Alot a Crappies there, but they all were on the small size .. But alot of fun to catch . I use a slip bobber with a small jig .. Seems to work really well when I get into them its non stop action ....Also looking for new lakes to fish in around the Kent area. Since I am new to this state and I am Boggled by all the rules ect ect.. #-o