Punch Cards????

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Punch Cards????

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:30 pm

Heres the scenario>>>>Youre out fishing the salt in a 16' alum boat in moderate weather.Some water is spraying in and around the boat.You pull up your first crab pot in 65' of water using a 100' sinking line.By the time the pot makes it to the boat and in you're soaked head to toe in saltwater.Sweet you think you got 3 keepers out of 1 pull.Pot goes back in ,you get your punchcard out with the pen.

Ever try to punch a card when your hands just wont dry off completely.As soon as you touch that crummy cheeeaaappp paper it gets so you cant right on it w/out it tearing.Then because the paper is wet the pen wont write either.I find my endelible ink pen and use it but the tip is slightly worn and it smears the punchcard.

Who'se brilliant idea was to make a punchcard out of some fiberless computer paper?WAZ UP WIT DAT?So now my punchcard looks all @#$%&*# up.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

matador
Petty Officer

RE:Punch Cards????

Post by matador » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:19 pm

It makes you wonder if anyone that works for Fish and Game actually has gone fishing or crabbing.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:27 pm

racfish wrote:
Who'se brilliant idea was to make a punchcard out of some fiberless computer paper?WAZ UP WIT DAT?So now my punchcard looks all @#$%&*# up.
WDFW. They've chosen that crap for the last few years. It's garbage. It will also fade severly after time. If you leave your parking permit in that nifty rear-view mirror holder out for a while, the ink on that little parking slip will fade away...

Big thumbs down on that one WDFW...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:38 pm

i agree sam, mine turned black in the window cause of the heat sensitive paper
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:50 pm

christopherbeebe wrote:i agree sam, mine turned black in the window cause of the heat sensitive paper
I heard some folks worrying about the WDFW giving tickets for those things being completely faded. If I get a ticket or anything that has to do with that crap paper, I'm fighting it until the death. It's the DFW's fault for putting it on that crappy paper. I try and keep mine covered, dry and outta the sun as much as possible...

Those yellow stickers that were the previous generation of WDFW permits/licenses were much better....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:34 pm

I called the Mill Creek office.I explained to them the problem I had with the paper.She said Quote"Other states use the same paper".Is that not brilliant?She said you have to punch them right on the spot upon putting your crabs in the box.I asked about having a laminated copy to show the officers but its not good enough.My punchcard now looks like a Picasso.
I love the state when they copy another state.They probably think we have California weather or maybe Arizona does it.I'll just go on like I have been and hand the officer my rendition of a "Picasso".Hehehehe
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

joshswrench
Petty Officer

Post by joshswrench » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:14 pm

I had problems with mine too when I was fishing for pinks out at browns point last year. That had to be the worst part of the day, trying to fill out a form with wet hands while standing in two feet of saltwater... oh ya and trying to keep a fresh fish under controll. But I'm sure somebodies brother is making a killing on this paper...
Tight lines, JG

tumbleweed
Angler

Post by tumbleweed » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 pm

yeah man what's with that? my punch card does the same thing #-o #-o

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:29 pm

yep, them cards are crap. i'm sure the DFW knows this, but why they don't change it is beyond me. yeah, they invest millions of dollars in tracking catch rates, then send out 500,000 crappy CRC's??? i sent mine in this spring, and it wasn't even readable....(fading, smearing, sticking), i'm trying to do my best, but an unreadable card can't help...
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:14 am

I agree with all of you. There has to be a better card. I would also appear in court to contest a ticket regarding an unreadable card. I hope the officers have better judgment and desecration than that. I would never write someone a ticket for an unreadable card because the flaw is in the card itself. Hopefully the officers get that. Anyway, good topic. As for punching or marking the card immediately after the catch is in the boat; In my opinion, it can wait until the pink salmon is cleaned and on ice which takes all of about 3 minutes after it is unhooked and dispatched. Same with crab. It can wait until the chaos of crab attempting to flea from the pot is under control.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:09 am

Rollin with Rolland wrote: I sent mine in this spring, and it wasn't even readable....(fading, smearing, sticking),
Its all you can do. Maybe if the people recieving the cards has enough of it, they might get their coworker in charge of Paper Procurement to buy better stuff.

Same with the Wa St Lottery. Your million dollar ticket is toast if it gets to warm.