Kayak Fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
pugnaciouspete
Petty Officer

Kayak Fishing

Post by pugnaciouspete » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:18 pm

Has anyone on here considered kayak fishing on the PS?

I think this might be a great option for those stuck on the shore.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Kayak Fishing

Post by A9 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:53 pm

I do it for dogfish sometimes on calm days...I use a 6' trout rod, bring a few extra hooks and an extra roll of leader and some cut up chunks of herring....They pull you around pretty good if you hook a big one....

I wouldn't mind mooching for salmon off of one....

But I think if your thinking about a small boat, a small aluminum (12-14 feet) will get you out on the salt more often then a kayak will let you (in terms of water/weather conditions) and gives the ability to be more mobile (run around with the motor) and have a buddy or two and some more space....Just a thought...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

pugnaciouspete
Petty Officer

Post by pugnaciouspete » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:08 pm

My concern is that buying a boat is expensive...not to mention the maintenance costs.

The reason I ask about the Sound, is that I am wondering if it is relatively calm enough to fish from a kayak. The area I fish (Browns point), I see people wind and kite surfing, as well as the long narrow kayaks.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:22 pm

pugnaciouspete wrote:My concern is that buying a boat is expensive...not to mention the maintenance costs.
You could get a 12' aluminum, motor and trailer for well under $2000, heck probably even near $1000 if you find the right deal...They are all over craigslist, the good deals get taken FAST. Usually the day they go up. These boats usually have 9.9 or similar sized outboard motors on them. Very simple engines really, not a lot of maintenance costs involved. Change plugs and oil every spring and you are good to go. Both operations are simple to do and easy to learn so you don't have to pay a shop to do it for you....

A 12' boat and a small outboard is about as close to zero maintenance as possible....Plus they hold their value very well and are a great entry level boat and sip gas too....

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Heres what I'm talking about
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/744419052.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/745019525.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/746210893.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/746966703.html

It's just what I would go with, not sure what your financial situation is like or if you have a rig to pull them (a sedan with a trailer hitch would pull these fine) or if you have room to park it....
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pugnaciouspete
Petty Officer

Post by pugnaciouspete » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 pm

Another problem that I have is that Ilive in an apartment, and I can store a kayak versus a boat and trailer.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm

pugnaciouspete wrote:Another problem that I have is that Ilive in an apartment, and I can store a kayak versus a boat and trailer.
Yep then there's your answer...Limited to a kayak then...

They certainly do work out there, just be careful. Even in the summer some bad weather/waves can come up quick and a kayak isn't the most comfortable or safe thing out there...

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:06 pm

Do some searching using the "Search" function for posts from a guy named Kayak Chris.... he is the guru of Puget Sound kayak fishing. He fished in the middle of the shipping lanes! He is a very friendly guy, and happy to share the info. with you. If you can't figure out how to find him on hear, PM me.

You should check this out http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/videos/ ... ak-Fishing
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Robert
Angler

Post by Robert » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 pm

pugnaciouspete wrote:Has anyone on here considered kayak fishing on the PS?

I think this might be a great option for those stuck on the shore.
Pugnacious-- I haven't fished Browns Point, but I use my yak in the salt all the time- more than fresh water and fresh water is where a kayak really gives you a fun time.

Check out the Northwest Kayak Anglers. Com website-lots of info on sit-on-top kayak fishing, how to get started --even how to pimp your boat with fishfinder and all the toys.

Doesn't take long to figure them out and realize how much fun it can be-- give it a try --we call it the "Cure".

Rob.