Crabbing results anybody??

Our hardshelled friends found here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Crabbing results anybody??

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:50 pm

Somebody please put in some crabbing reports... I don't know if people are putting them under the Salt reports section or whether that is considered just for fishing, but either way.... let's hear what's up.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Dave
Commodore

RE:Crabbing results anybody??

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 pm

I was wondering the exact same thing. I had to work today so I didn’t get to go. A buddy of mine at work did however go this morning at first light. They crabbed in Utsalady Bay soaking their pots for only 2 hours. 8 pots were pulled and all were full of male keepers. OMG I was so excited to hear that! So maybe the tribes didn’t crab all of June. I will go in the morning to confirm. I will post a report in 8-1 salt section. I checked the salt reports for 9, 8-1 and 8-2. No crab reports yet.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 pm

I am heading out this weekend for crab so it is good to hear that they are pulling full pots

crkohrin
Petty Officer

Post by crkohrin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:39 am

i didnt feel like going far so i just went out at shilshole and got two out around meadow point and i was out there a long time, there was a tribe string going all the way down the shore so i dont know how long its been there

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:57 am

Raining fairly steady so far here this morning so at the moment I have decided to wait a bit. I took my boat top off last week while prepping for the salt season thinking it would be sunny for a while. Guess not. I also see it's a very minus tide this morning which makes launching a bit less inviting. I’ll wait to see how this afternoon / evenings weather is like. If it is still raining, I'll likely put the top back on and go. Report to follow.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:02 pm

i got a report coming....wed. was better than today...all in all decent. that storm really put a damper on things. fishing and crabbing were better wed. here is a hint...8" dungie, my PB. i was out CAMPING during that crap...let me tell you...
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Posting my report in the salt report section, area 8-1. Total soak time 3 1/2 hours. 5 keepers (pictured). Poor!
Attachments
IMG_1806_Small.jpg
IMG_1806_Small.jpg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:25 pm

nice work Dave!! you must have went out tonight?? i didn't get a limit, but sure had a great time!! waiting for some pics to upload...

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 pm

report has been sent, so this is just supplemental...

biggest yet for me...

overall, good. not great, but good. saw some fellow crabbers with four keepers, half day. i already ate my three, now maybe a couple for the freezer....BTW, i'm waiting for the 16th...

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:05 am

Hey Rolland,

I was out the evening of the 3rd in Utsalady Bay from about 5 to 7 pm.. Were you out there as well? There were hundreds of pots in the water. It was depressing. All I could think of was how fast the keepers would be gone with this type of pressure. I’ve not seen anything like it before. The crab you caught is huge. It did well staying out of the tribal & sport pots for quite a while to get that big. Well done.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:28 pm

thanks Dave

i was actually out in area 7 south. which is a little deceiving, because i was around Sucia island, which in my book is nowhere near south, but in the regs it is. i'll be honest, i'm still learning a lot about crabbing, so i may not have been in the best spots. i did see FAIR pressure from other recreational harvesters, but not to bad. then again, there are a lot of places in area 7 to crab, and fewer people it seems. i was out both the 2nd and 3rd, and have not seen ONE tribal buoy or vessel....:scratch: .....maybe that means i'm in the wrong spot!! also, i actually prefer to use the tribes launch when heading way north, (never had my truck broken into on the reservation, but have TWICE at the public launch, plus they're cheaper) and it seemed like most of their boats and gear were still on dry land...not sure what to make of it.

anyway, i hope crabbing stays good for awhile and nice work on getting 5, maybe not the best for you, but i'd be happy with that!!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:15 pm

Only set pots out for one night. Tide was ripping so fast I spent an hour from 6am to 7am on Thursday morning (Set pots late Wednesday night) searching for my floats. Both of them underwater or just above. Don't know how I found them, but I did. Pulled 5 keepers overnight, and kicked it in. No sense in losing pots to the current, would only have been worse around 8 or 9 am that day.

Heard of a 5 star report from 8-2, a 3 star report in 10, so the crab are out there...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:41 pm

Was out crabbing yesterday in 8-2 and pulled a 3 person limit in a six pot drop in 1 and 1/2 hours. Used old pink salmon as bait so the crab are out there. The biggest was 7.6 inches. Also released a ton of small males and some small females.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:10 pm

I left a report in area 10... but it is slow uploading. got hosed! Only 1 keeper rock crab. I heard from people that it hasn't been very good in area 10.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:49 am

Two of us crabbed Saturday in 8.2 in the late afternoon .We launched at 3:00 pm after the minus 2.9 tide came in a bit.We dropped our first 4 pots and checked them 1 hour later. First pot for me was Nada.Second pot for me was packed.All males but only 2 dungie keepers and a red rock.My buddies first set yeilded one more dungie and a red rock.
The water started getting rough and my tiny ship was tossed.If not for the courage of the fearless crew the RACFISH wouldve been lost.So we pulled the second set and it wasnt that great.Between the 2 of us and only crabbing for 2.5 hours we got 5 dungies and 2 red rock.
Saturday night and sunday we greased heavy on fresh crab.
Attachments
rDSCN0834.JPG
rDSCN0834.JPG (111.08 KiB) Viewed 3140 times
rDSCN0829.JPG
rDSCN0829.JPG (77.37 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
rDSCN0827.JPG
rDSCN0827.JPG (64.61 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

Post by crappiemaster » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:33 am

Oh my gosh! Great pictures!! This is one of those times I feel like I am living on the wrong side of the state. I didn't see Ginger or Mary Ann, though. I'm getting so old, I would have settled for a picture of Mrs.Howell!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:39 pm

I wish I had Lovey and Thurstons Money.If I did I wouldntve been on the Minnow.Idve gone on that 80' Carver I saw at the Boatshow.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:20 am

Racfish,

Too funny! Great report and nice pics. I am hoping to brave the waters this afternoon (Thursday 7-10-08) and will give a report in area 8-1 section. I was told of a new spot north of Camano Island State Parks launch that a buddy swears it full of big dungies so we will see. Have a good day all.

Dave

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:03 am

i'll be out also, thinking 8-1 or 7, great afternoon tides. I'll keep a lookout for the HEWES Dave.....

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:29 am

Rollin with Rolland wrote:great afternoon tides.
Awesome PM tides...Nice and slow, no ripping tides like the opener....Going from a -4 to like a 10 in 7 or 8 hours? = tough crabbing...

We'll see how it goes....I'll have a report on Sunday evening when I return, planning on crabbing Friday & Saturday....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....