i might have to keep over the limit

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TheOne
Warrant Officer

i might have to keep over the limit

Post by TheOne » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:10 pm

since high gas prices are cutting my family down.its hard to buy food.and ima have to keep over the limit and hunt to feed us.but thats if we run out of food.witch more than likely wont happen...it sucks cause i never keep fish.and it really sucks that gas prices are to high......damn bush...i know hes doing what he thinks is right for america..but look around lol thats all i gots to say......despreate times call for despreate mesures
''Treat people and animals the way you would want to be treated''
catch and release!! ~Dont worry about me and what i do.worry about your own self~

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:i might have to keep over the limit

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 pm

Poaching will be a big problem soon! I can see extra tags being filled hunting this year. It really happens in the smaller communities where it is harder to get by.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:40 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:Poaching will be a big problem soon! I can see extra tags being filled hunting this year. It really happens in the smaller communities where it is harder to get by.
well some people gotta do what they gotta do to feed there family.man this is why i donot like the justice system.you can get in trubble for trying to get by......sad....but yea i see poaching becomeing a big problem aswell.its a shame its comeing down to this...but like i said people gotta do what they gotta do...but hopefully we wont run out of food.as long as gas prices dont go up,but they prob will and theres gonna be a lot of people poaching.i personly couldnt shoot a animal.mabey like a rat or something.cause ive done that b4 cause are house was infested with them.and i have to say it was a fun night.but yea.its gonna be hard.mabey thing s will get better with the ecomony. i really hope so cause i dont wanna be labed as a poacher.i hate poachers.but a poacher to me is sum hunting endanged animals.
catch and release!! ~Dont worry about me and what i do.worry about your own self~

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:24 pm

I get the concept of doing what ever we have to in order to survive and provide for our families. I’m not sure I get the idea of committing a crime to do so. It's like the guy who commits bank robbery or sells drugs or commits some form of theft to get by. How about get a job or two? If a person who is employed doesn't make enough money to maintain an ample food supply, it might be time to consider thinking about getting a second job or working overtime if it is available. Maybe re-evaluate their budget and become more creative by reducing unnecessary spending habits and eliminating non essential things for example get rid of the cable TV with movie channels, cell phones, internet service, Netflix, don’t eat out. Or liquidating assets like selling the travel trailer that sits on the side of the house and only gets used once a year. Stuff like that. Although I am sure no one here is actually considering criminal acts like poaching to get by, over limiting or poaching holds some amount of risk which could result in getting booked into jail. If that were to happen to someone trying to put some extra venison or fish in the freezer, it could spiral from there resulting in loss of employment and or career which means no income, no medical insurance, and no food in the cupboards, inability to pay bills, not to mention high attorney fees. Definitely a last resort and in my opinion and not worth. Just my thoughts on the topic. Not intended to offend anyone. Good topic though.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:32 am

If someone keeps one fish over their limit, they have in essence stolen that fish from someone else. Be very careful. Desperate measures may lead to steel bracelets. :pale: Believe me, I understand the need for desperate measures, but not outside the law.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:02 am

TheOne wrote:since high gas prices are cutting my family down.its hard to buy food.and ima have to keep over the limit and hunt to feed us.
Have you tried food banks? it might be better than having your gear taken from you.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:00 am

I understand the pinch...I'm feeling it too. Just about everyone is.

The problem is, most people aren't budgeting their money well enough--too many people have their priorities all messed up.

20 years ago, no one had a cell phone....life was fine. Now, people are paying $50+ a month and claiming that phone is a necessity. It's not....

20 years ago, people still read the newspaper and clipped coupons. Now, people just go to the store any buy anything they need. I go nuts when I see people pay $5 for a jar of peanut butter, or $8 for a brick of cheese. If ya spent 2 minutes flipping through the ads, you could've saved about $5 on those two items alone.

Too many people look at credit cards as a necessity...rather than get a part time job to pay for those extra's (they do or don't need) they put it on plastic so they can pay a little bit at a time. What a great way to throw money away.

Ultimately, there are food banks and other services willing to help those in need. IF you truly are in need, don't feel ashamed to use them. There is no shame!

With fuel prices, the prices of bait and tackle, and all the other expenses...it's cheaper to buy bread and rice than it is to poach a few extra fish--unless you live on the shore, fishing isn't a "cheap" way to supply your family with food.

JMHO.

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 am

Bscman wrote:
With fuel prices, the prices of bait and tackle, and all the other expenses...it's cheaper to buy bread and rice than it is to poach a few extra fish--unless you live on the shore, fishing isn't a "cheap" way to supply your family with food.

JMHO.
Very well stated! Do not poach, get a better paying job, second job, budget better, so on and so forth. If you put a pencil and calculator to the fish you go out and catch I bet the price per pound is WAY higher than buying Halibut or Salmon at $15/lb.

Mossy
Lieutenant

Post by Mossy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:43 am

bottom line is bush isn't causing the high gas prices, it will be the same no matter who we have in office. I know everything costs money, but I agree with dave as far as eliminating bills....could save what 20-30 bucks a month by getting rid of internet, $60 a month for the cell phone. There are alot of people that couldn't "live" with out their phones or internet and that's fine, you just have to set your priorities. Pound for pound, if you are going to spend money on a license to bring food back to the family I would suggest a deer tag. Granted the license and tag costs more than a fishing license but venison will feed you and your family for quite a while on 1 successful hunt. Poaching isn't worth it, my suggestion: find another person to go fishing with you and you have have 5 more fish in your boat.

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:47 am

what everyone must understand is that i siad (if our food runs out) witch will more than likely wont happen.and all im saying is its hard with all the high prices for everything and (IF) our food runs out thats what im going to do what i have to do to feed my family..noone of you cant say you wouldnt do the same...but i highly doubt we will run out of food.i mean i bring in at least a month 1600 plus my mom she brings in like 1200 a month and my cusin bringsin around 800 a month my dad brings in a lil over 1000.and like i said thats only going to happen if our food runs out.but check this out gas is expected to hit a massive $7 a gallon b4 the end of summer......and the ice in the north pole should all be broken up and ships will be able to pass though by the end of summer...man so much CRAP is going on..when are as american people going to get a break.cause im not likeing the stuff thats happening as im shure all of you are.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:49 am

Dave wrote:I get the concept of doing what ever we have to in order to survive and provide for our families. I’m not sure I get the idea of committing a crime to do so. It's like the guy who commits bank robbery or sells drugs or commits some form of theft to get by. How about get a job or two? If a person who is employed doesn't make enough money to maintain an ample food supply, it might be time to consider thinking about getting a second job or working overtime if it is available. Maybe re-evaluate their budget and become more creative by reducing unnecessary spending habits and eliminating non essential things for example get rid of the cable TV with movie channels, cell phones, internet service, Netflix, don’t eat out. Or liquidating assets like selling the travel trailer that sits on the side of the house and only gets used once a year. Stuff like that. Although I am sure no one here is actually considering criminal acts like poaching to get by, over limiting or poaching holds some amount of risk which could result in getting booked into jail. If that were to happen to someone trying to put some extra venison or fish in the freezer, it could spiral from there resulting in loss of employment and or career which means no income, no medical insurance, and no food in the cupboards, inability to pay bills, not to mention high attorney fees. Definitely a last resort and in my opinion and not worth. Just my thoughts on the topic. Not intended to offend anyone. Good topic though.
so your saying if your family was lying on the floor cryin cause they had no food.your telling me you wouldnt go out and get some food...hhmmm i think that says a lot.i dotncare if a have to commit a crim for me or my family to survive.man has hunted for thousands of years to survive.

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:51 am

Toni wrote:
TheOne wrote:since high gas prices are cutting my family down.its hard to buy food.and ima have to keep over the limit and hunt to feed us.
Have you tried food banks? it might be better than having your gear taken from you.
yea but food banks somtimes have out dated food and one time we found maggots in a canned green beans...eww im cool on a food bank.but like i said this will only happen if we run out of food and like i said witch will more than likely not happen

TheOne
Warrant Officer

Post by TheOne » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:52 am

Lotech Joe wrote:If someone keeps one fish over their limit, they have in essence stolen that fish from someone else. Be very careful. Desperate measures may lead to steel bracelets. :pale: Believe me, I understand the need for desperate measures, but not outside the law.
thats why i donot like the justice system.you can get throwin in jail for trying to feed your family

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 pm

Toni wrote:
food bank food spoils very fast and u really don't get much food anyways from them, plus they are feeling the crunch too and food is getting scarce at the food banks too cause its harder to get the food to the foodbanks. sorry had to put my 2 cents in
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Please do us all a favor and come back to post after you have aged some, finished your education and had some more life experiences. Your last few post were painful to read through. Please pay attention in English class. Man, your grammar is horrible. If you are only 8 years old I apologize.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:20 pm

fish4brains wrote:Please do us all a favor and come back to post after you have aged some, finished your education and had some more life experiences. Your last few post were painful to read through. Please pay attention in English class. Man, your grammar is horrible. If you are only 8 years old I apologize.
ok this is where i have to step in "the one" is just stating a hypethetical situation that could happen if things don't change. there is no need to be rude to each other we are all feeling the crunch. and we are all entitled to our opinions. but this is an online fishing community not a place to put down other ppl, there are other websites for that so lets try and keep things civil here everyone, and lets all try and get along.. thanx :salut:
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Edit:

Note: Just to be clear here, my comments were and are not intended to be rude or offensive. If they were taken as such, my apology. This is a forum. That means opinions are welcome.

I don’t believe that this topic was posed as a hypothetical. The statement was made more than once that if the family ran out of food, it would result in over limiting, aka poaching, to put food on the table.

TheOne,

Yes, I'm absolutely saying I would not commit a crime and place my family in jeopardy by being incarcerated and loosing my job. I'm saying I would take the steps I and others have noted so that I and my family wouldn't be in that predicament.

You said if your family ran out of food, you would poach. You stated you don’t like the justice system because you can get in trouble for, “just trying to get by.” Just trying to get by is in my opinion not related to breaking the law. Trying to get by is done by making adjustments in a person's lifestyle. Thank God for the justice system. It’s far from perfect but If there was no justice system, the world would be in more chaos than one could ever imagine. You stated that you, “don’t care if you have to commit a crime for you and your family to survive.” Think about that for a moment. If a person were to commit a crime such as poaching, that person could be arrested and could loose their job. How is getting arrested and loosing your 1600.00 per month income, plus any medical benefits you might have had with your employer, going to benefit your family? That kind of thinking is why in my opinion the justice system is needed! Remember there is a victim associated with every crime. Ethics! As I read your replies, I see that you comment on food banks having outdated food. Are you kidding me? If you are picky about the expiration date on a free loaf of bread, you might want to re-evaluate your needs.

I think if you Read the replies and take the advise being provided to you by the group you will be fine. By the way, poaching is NOT hunting endangered animals, it is harvesting any animal beyond the limit as set forth and defined by state law. Personally, I have no time for criminals, nor does the general public.

Give these suggestions provided to you by the group some consideration and lack of food willl likely not be an issue;

1) Budget your money correctly (You stated your family brings in $4,600.00 per month). That’s allot of money! Money management is essential.
2) Eliminate all nonessential things like cable TV, cell phone, internet service, and liquidate things you don’t “need”.
3) Supplement your income by finding additional employment
4) Work overtime at your current job.
5) Great suggestion by Toni and Bscman, FOOD BANK.
6) Consider alternate forms of transportation: bicycle, walk, bus, carpool ect, motor scooter under 50 cc’s.
7) Don’t live above your means. Example; If you drive an expensive vehicle, downgrade and get rid of that payment.

Desperate times call for;
1) Creativity
2) Extra effort
3) Intelligent decision making
4) Common sense
5) Thinking outside the box
6) Faith

I wish you and your family the best. Good luck.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:49 pm

christopherbeebe wrote:
Toni wrote:
food bank food spoils very fast and u really don't get much food anyways from them, plus they are feeling the crunch too and food is getting scarce at the food banks too cause its harder to get the food to the foodbanks. sorry had to put my 2 cents in
I know exactly because I have been to food banks. Sometimes when I was down in my spirit I thought of them as using me just to get rid of their garbage. I did get a few things and we made it through.
The food banks aren't doing as well because people aren't doing as well.
Wow, TheOne, you make more that me I just gross 1600, not bring that much in. I have made less than $10,000.00 a year and have never had to poach. I had 4 kids to take care of. I do fish for food as well as fun. I will keep what I can.
What I could afford last year I can't this year. That is what the economy has done.
My 2 cents. Don't poach!!
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:01 pm

[quote="Dave"]Edit:
Desperate times call for]

I think I put Faith at number 1 or try to.
"Pro 30:7-9 I have asked two things from You Lord; do not deny them before I die;
remove far from me vanity and a lying word; give me neither poverty or riches; tear for me my portion of bread, lest I be full and deceive, and say, Who is the Lord? Or lest I be poor, and steal, and violate the name of my God."

I end up making it.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Me to Toni, They were in no particular order. :)