Canoe bass fishing??? YES? NO?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
bassackwards
Commander

Canoe bass fishing??? YES? NO?

Post by bassackwards » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 pm

Because I haven't picked up my major sponsorship yet....to purchase my dream bass boat, I'm looking to get a canoe or something similar to get me out on the lake and into the bass. I'm getting pretty freakin frustrated with shore fishing. Either you're standing shoulder to shoulder with some idiot w/ 5 rods in the water (w/ bobbers) or I'm casting over a "wall" of bushes.

Just wanted to get everyone's take on bass fishing from a canoe before I went out bought one. I'm not looking to cross Sammamish in 5 minutes...I just want to get out on Pine, Beaver, Samm. and parts of Washington without having to knock on doors for permission to fish someones private dock.

Damn...this is sounding like a whining session , sorry about that. Can you tell how *&^&^#&(*( fed up I am with bank fishing????

Thanks!! :-({|=
God Bless our brave men and women fighting to preserve our way of life!!!

ChrisB
Captain

RE:Canoe bass fishing??? YES? NO?

Post by ChrisB » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 pm

What about a small boat with a trolling motor, do you have the truck to haul something like that around?? You are going to want something you can stand up in if possible. And rowing all day will get old really fast.
aka Powerworm

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:45 am

you could catch bass with a canoe no problem. a small jon boat would be perfect, or even a float tube.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Kelcey
Petty Officer

Post by Kelcey » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:22 am

I have fished out of a kayak... It wasnt too bad. It was actually kind of fun!

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 am

I've fished from canoes and smaller boats a lot over the years...

even when I owned larger boats, I ended up fishing from the smaller ones because they
allowed me to get into spots you can't get into with the big boats (i.e. anything over 250
pounds)......

Now personally I am rooting for you to get that major sponsorship bassackwards but in the meantime here are my humble opinions in regard to all the "under $1,000" small boat options you have...

canoes and kyaks move very well on the water and they give you desired lightness for portaging but they tend to be unstable and dangerous to anchor or pop an electric motor on... if I were you I would stay away from canoes... I've fished a lot from canoes and one of the problems is your back will start bothering you from constantly adjusting your body position to keep from flipping over... should also note that fishing from a position where you bottom is at roughly the same level as your feet is uncomfortable and hard on the buttocks and back.... fishing from a kneeling position is even worse.... even a slightly raised seat doesn't solve the problem... comfortable fishing must be done from a supported standing position or from a sitting position where the part of the leg that dangles below the knees can remain at least vertical at all times..... (like I said.. I've done lots and lots of fishing from small boats and I've analyzed these issued very thoroughly)

float tubes are the lowest cost and lightest option, they are stable and, personally, I think every serious recreational angler should have one in the garage even if they only use it every couple of years or so.... problem with float tubes is they don't move very well on the water and they put your arms and head down almost at water level..... I think this awkward for fishing... I like to fish from a stable platform and to have my feet at least 6" above water level... (sort of like when you are casting from a fully equipped $45,000 ranger bass boat.... OK, OK.. I don't have a major sponsorship yet either)..

pontoon boats move fairly well on the water (though not as good as a canoe or a ranger bass boat) are stable, reasonably light, and I've seen them on sale for under $500 though I think the really good ones are closer to $1,000 now... downside on pontoon boats is what I call the "building block effect".. that is to say.. it just seems like you spend all your time putting the thing together and taking it apart.. even when you leave it inflated all the time..... (by the way.. this is a disadvantage with the float tubes also)...

small specialty injection molded plastic bass boats are available from various vendors... I think they cost about $500 or so and they look like they might work for your purposes.... they are stable.. designed for easy installation of an electric trolling motor, can carry up to one guest, and they look like (I've never actually used one of these things.. my only experience is window shopping on this option) they fit nicely in the back of a pickup...... my percieved downsides on this option are that they are bit heavy for their size and they look to be dangerous in rough water (would only hit very small lakes with one of these) and they don't seem to have good backup propulsion if the battery from which the electric motor is powered goes dead..... That said though, and if I understand your situation correctly, this would be the first option I would look at really seriously if the only kind of fishing I wanted to do was to work smaller west side lakes for bass and panfish........ just stick to lakes that are on the small side....

and, of course, the other option is to work the "used boat" market for an older fishing boat package..... sometimes you will need to do a little work on the motor and there will be broken stuff on the main body and trailer and fixing it is never "free", but there are 16' class boats out their with lots of neat, but older, stuff on them that can be had for under $1,000 if you know how to bargain...

personally, after decades of experience in this area, I've finally settled on a specially rigged 12' mckenzie style drift boat...

I raised the seat 6" to the perfect height for fishing from a sitting position and rigged the padded swivel seat so it's on the "bow" side of the oars.. this way I can quickly swivel around and stand in a supported position for fly casting and stuff like that....

of course I also had to raise the oar sockets 6" for comfortable rowing and that was a major project involving expensive high density modern plastics and install custom oars that give me maximum propulsion..... but the bottom line is that I have something that pops easily into the back of my small pickup, moves gracefully on the water, can handle reasonably rough water (I actually tested it on a windy day down on the Bonneville Reservoir this spring... I had to dodge wind surfers as I rowed back to the ramp.. I don't like fishing in rough water, but when one tackles a large body of water on a calm day one has to account for the possibility of the wind coming up before the fishing day is done), can be quickly and easily anchored, will accommodate an electric trolling motor, has lots of room for gear and cooler when rigged for fishing solo, can drift rivers as well as be rowed on lakes, and is very stable to fish from...

of course the big downside on this one is I've got over $3,500 into it..... you can get pretty much the same thing at about the same price from Hyde boats (they call it the easy drifter or something like that)... but, for your situation, I think $3,500 would get you a pretty decent newer powered boat that would serve your needs much better............
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

kickerfish
Petty Officer

Post by kickerfish » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:50 am

I would check Craigslist diligently. ( a good deal does not last on the site very long) I found a 14' deep bottom V jon boat with trailer and 20HP Yamaha for $ 1000. I am currently converting it into a bass boat. Front deck is in with a aireated live well (large cooler converted). Floor is also in. I removed the middle seat to get some room. Marine carpet will be going down soon and I will be mounting a foot control bow mounted trolling motor. I will be installing an on board charger as well as a Lowrance 520 GPS/depth finder that I won in a contest. As soon as complete I will definitely post some pics. I have taken out on the water already and I can pitch and flip on the deck of the boat and remain pretty stable. The floor I put in allows me to fight a fish really well. I also can put this boat in some of the marshes around here since it is not very big.

jake campbell
Petty Officer

Post by jake campbell » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:39 pm

As long as it floats, and you can get into the area you plan to fish quietly without spooking the bass it shouldn't be a problem to fish from a canoe or smaller boat.

It could be a littly tipsy if you try to stand up and flip, or make casts.

"Any boat is better than the shore"

"Just make sure it doesn't look like this guys boat in the picture" LOL
Attachments
redneck_bass_boat%5B5%5D.jpg
redneck_bass_boat%5B5%5D.jpg (212.01 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:24 pm

I have a Bass Hound 10.2 from KL Industries. It is a polyethelene (plastic) boat and I absolutely love it. It has all of the big bass boat features for a lot smaller price tag. It is all internally wired for front and rear electric motors. (also rated for a 7 horse gas motor) It even has a fairly good sized airated livewell with pre-wired switch, half of the time I use for a cooler or storage. It also has two padded swivel seats and a battery box. This is a very stable boat, both my fishing partner and I can stand on the same side of the boat at the same time and be just fine, not to shabby for only a 10'2" boat. And if you were wondering about how durable it is being a plastic boat, it is extremely durable which is why I went with a polyethelene boat. My friend has a coleman crawdad (also plastic) with an 8 horse gas motor on it that we use for duck hunting, and we have abused that boat relentlessly (ie jumping logs in the water repeatedly, running it up on gravel/rock shorelines,and other underwater obstructions) which is why I opted for plastic. My boat is also light enough that my girlfriend can even help me lift it in and out of the truck (boat fits nicely between the wheelwells on my f150) Hope this helps your decision, try searching the web for "polyethelene boats". Good luck.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:29 pm

jake campbell wrote:As long as it floats, and you can get into the area you plan to fish quietly without spooking the bass it shouldn't be a problem to fish from a canoe or smaller boat.

It could be a littly tipsy if you try to stand up and flip, or make casts.

"Any boat is better than the shore"

"Just make sure it doesn't look like this guys boat in the picture" LOL

GAME OVER....I'm making one of these tonight. I almost spit my soda out on the screen, that fricking funny.

plunkr
Angler

Post by plunkr » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:54 am

my friend and i use a coleman ram-x scanoe and it works great! it's about 15 or 16 feet long and has a flat transom to mount a trolling motor to. the thing scoots along with a 40 lb. thrust troller and a deep cycle battery keeps us going all day. we troll with it, hit the bass lakes with it, we've even hit some small streams above the bass lakes with it that the bigger boats can't get into and found some sweet secret spots. and you don't need a trailer!!
short answer? bass love canoes too.
fish on!!

Basshunter046
Warrant Officer

Post by Basshunter046 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:34 am

Ok since I've had everything from a 20' stratos fish and ski to an entertube #-o , I think the most enjoyable fishing has been out of my coleman ram-x 10' bass hunter. I've had it now for about 20 years. It's small enough to through in the back of a pickup. It has 2 seats and is Coast Gaurd rated for 550 lbs with a 5 hrs. motor. Its great for the smaller lakes which have a lot less fishing pressure as the big lakes. Also I've used it in the bays of bigger lakes and even trolled for kokanne on CDA Lake with it. I also have a 12 jon boat (G3) with a trailer. For Bass fishing the bass hunter is a whole bunch better than the jon boat. To me each has its purpose. But I gotta agree with littleriver If you don't have a gas motor and running an electric, have a x-tra battery for a backup. Plus they not really good for big water for two reasons, one for the wind and two bigger boats aauuggggg [-o<
As for a canoe, never had one so couldn't tell ya :-s

littleriver
Commander

Post by littleriver » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:26 pm

was "grazing" at the Hawk's Prairie costco this afternoon and noticed a little pontoon boat there for about $300...

can't remember if it included oars or not though...

worst case you will need to fork out another $50 or so for 2 carlisle aluminum oars plus oar locks....

If I were "boatless in Seattle" I would definitely take a serious look at this option.... it's cheap, it's light, it includes a little wheel that lets you run it along short trails, it's comfortable..

I almost bought the thing myself and I already own 2 float tubes, one drift boat, a neat little 13' canoe, and 3 other row boats of various configurations.......

but I'm just uncontrollable when it comes to small boats....
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

bassackwards
Commander

Post by bassackwards » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:31 am

I appreciate everyone's comments / suggestions. I recently picked up a "fixer-upper" canoe (16' Mad River) that needs some love, the hull is solid, but that's about it. All the gunwales are rotted or gone.

Should be a fun project. I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll post some pics as soon as its "Lake worthy"

marksmith
Angler

Post by marksmith » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:36 pm

Dudes I've caught more bass in my one man boat then my bass boat. Canoes and the like will put you on the best water thats where no one else is.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:38 pm

I have been fising from a pontoon boat for about 4 mnths now and i love it .. it's easy to assemble ..easy to fish from .. i carry up to four rods at a time .. now that im use to moving backwards it's all good baby ! ..only down side if any is that when the wind blows so will you .. having an anchor is a must ... but on a rating leval of one to ten i give it a nine without wind and 5 with wind .. this rig has allowed me to fish right on top of them without spooking them .. i watch bass eat my bait all the time ..cool deal .. BBD

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:57 pm

that $300 Costco pontoon was tempting and I have a pontoon boat. I saw one on the water at Rattlesnake and it looked good in the water. I'm sure it comes with oars.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Noah
Angler

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:17 pm

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Coleman Scanoe! It's been around for years with a flat cast aluminum bulkhead in the stern for mounting a motor, internal tube frame, wider than a canoe, front and rear raised seats, and hidden floatation foam in the front and rear...$500. At 130# I can just manage to lift it over my head onto the luggage rack and I use a trolling motor. The biggest downside is operation in the wind. But I really like the portability, don't need a boat launch, don't need gas, and it's quiet.