Summer Steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jdimonda
Petty Officer

Summer Steelhead

Post by jdimonda » Tue May 15, 2007 4:26 pm

What do I need for Summer Steelhead. I already have the rod and reel. What in terms of lures, colors, bait, leader, and what ever else I will need.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 15, 2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

littleriver
Commander

RE:Summer Steelhead

Post by littleriver » Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 pm

A fly rod and reel, a spinning rod and reel, or a bait casting rod and reel?????

need more info jd...

if you want to fish the north fork of the stilly I believe the fly rod is the only option (but's it's been a while since I've read the regs for northern rivers)....

Bank fishermen are doing pretty well using plugs behind side planers on the cowlitz at blue creek right now but if I were just headed out to "any river" and hoping to catch a summer run I'd go with a simple #2 red gami hook rigged about 18" below a split shot and that below a slip bobber........ set the bobber depth to work the sand shrimp that you have just impaled on to the gami into the tail of any pool you can find....

that still leaves you with a lot to figure out but sand shrimp rigged below slip bobbers catch a lot of summer runs every year...
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

jdimonda
Petty Officer

Post by jdimonda » Wed May 16, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks. I am using a Lamiglas Medium Action Spinning rod with an Okuma Inspira Reel. I usually use jigs for winter steelhead and am wondering what colors I should use for the summer run. I am looking to fish at rivers in the Snohomish area. No further than 30 miles away from the city of Snohomish. Thanx

FishSlayer
Petty Officer

Post by FishSlayer » Thu May 17, 2007 12:33 am

I tie my own jigs and it works twice as well as the store bought ones. Orange is what seems to work best for me. I fished a day last year with three other guys we started off fishing with store bought jigs and we had no luck at all. We tied on one the ones that i tied and wham!! Fish on! From then on i only fish my hand tied jigs.
<'(((><

juiced67
Petty Officer

Post by juiced67 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:37 pm

anyone have any luck on the green yet?

cmessling07
Petty Officer

Post by cmessling07 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:20 pm

my local sportsmans warehouse said summer steelies were slow but entering the river for the Green