Don't Blame those "greedy oil companies"

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Don't Blame those "greedy oil companies"

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:17 pm

Something has to be done soon, or the entire nation will be in the same boat as Enron. Too high, too fast and no regulation.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Something has to be done soon.
Not soon enough. Did anyone read that Seattle Times article about the man developing the solar car in Oregon? It was in the Seattle Times last week. I'll have to find it and post it up here. It's pretty amazing. Pure electric...20-30K...charges the battery on one gallon of fuel for some 125 miles or so. It's quite cool.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Jesper
Petty Officer

Post by Jesper » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:45 am

kantill wrote: The one thing you won't let go of is bio-diesel is a term. The main pull for corn, switchgrass and sugar cane is to make mainly ethanol not bio-diesel as the article you are referring to says. Ethanol is not bio-diesel bio-diesel is not ethanol, ethanol was a replacement for normal gas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
That's because my first post was about commercial transport and then we got into the "ships-run-on-diesel-thing". I know cars can use ethanol, and I don't have a problem with using sugar canes for that, but there needs to be some thinking done where and how to grow it without affecting food prices, or destroying wildlife habitat.
To tell you the truth I personally believe that more time needs to spent in hydrogen on demand systems like this one

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/11 ... droge.html
That we can agree on.
"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." - Henry Ford

kantill
Warrant Officer

Post by kantill » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:35 am

Again that is why I said we need to look at bio-diesel for them. It is a concept that we can get in production much faster than other ideas. To clarify yes I am meaning the "fat" to be recycled and made into fuel. I once found a article that broke down the different fuels and the pros and cons but I can't seem to find it again. I did find a boating website that is encourging people to look at bio-diesel for their boats. Now I know these are not tanker ships but it is a start.

http://www.boatus.com/cleanwater/outreach/biodiesel.htm
Need tech support? I can Help!
http://www.crossloop.com/KellyAntill

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:24 pm

fish4brains wrote:
kevinb wrote:. I certainly don't have a problem with a good debate but when oil companies report record breaking profits,theirs a big problem..
Yeah, because 8% profit is freaking CRAZY. Just who do they think they are making a whole 8%?! I saw on the TV that oil companies are bad so I am going to go with that.
I know why the magic TV box says that! It uses 8th grade math! Apparently the oil companies think we're too stupid to figure out their sham.

Let's say it costs $100 to fill my tank. Being generous, with transportation, convenience store's cuts, etc, oil companies get no less than $6 of that. Let's multiply. 6X(every car owning adult in the United States of America)X(to be VERY generous, lets say 25 refuels a year on average for ever person)

Using my mad 4th grade multiplication skillz (YES, I did kind of pay attention in elementary), this comes out to $150X(every car owning adult in America)=lotta cash.

Using my 6th grade greater than or less than skillz, I can state: lotta cash=8%.

Now, using my 8th grade geometry proof writing skillz, I can state: 8% (a)=lotta cash (b). Given information (from the oil companies themselves) states that lotta cash(b)=record profits (c).

Therefore, using the transitive property (a=b, and b=c, so a=c), 8% (a)=record profits (c).

Record profits (c) are equivalent to freaking CRAZY (d). Once again using the transitive property, a=c, and c=d, therefore a=d.

Remember, a is 8% and d is freaking CRAZY.

Therefore, 8%=freaking CRAZY.

Therefore, oil companies are bad for making us pay a freaking CRAZY price.

Therefore, math has helped me make a point.

Therefore, my math has actually served a purpose outside of school.

Therefore, hell has frozen over.

I should probably shut up now. #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:Something has to be done soon, or the entire nation will be in the same boat as Enron. Too high, too fast and no regulation.
Being rich and going out with a bang is fine with me. I'll be a modern day Kurt Cobain or Jimi Hendrix or um, any other rock star you can imagine.

I hope not in the same boat as Ken Lay. :-" :bom:

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:07 pm

iPod, I was never really been interested in math until now. Therefore, you have now changed that.:cheers:

joshswrench
Petty Officer

Post by joshswrench » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:42 pm

ipod.... Holy crap! I'm a military mechanic and that made sense to ME! Send that to congress and maybe THEY'LL understand!
Tight lines, JG

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 pm

joshswrench wrote:ipod.... Holy crap! I'm a military mechanic and that made sense to ME! Send that to congress and maybe THEY'LL understand!
Maybe even the president will understand!!!!:cyclopsan

Nah....too much of a stretch.:-" #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:27 am

iPodrodder wrote:
joshswrench wrote:ipod.... Holy crap! I'm a military mechanic and that made sense to ME! Send that to congress and maybe THEY'LL understand!
Maybe even the president will understand!!!!

Nah....too much of a stretch.
President Bush got his masters degree from Harvard Business School...where did you get yours?

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:34 am

Noo-Clear.

E

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Noo-Clear.

E
Very good!:thumright

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:47 pm

lskiles wrote:
iPodrodder wrote:
Maybe even the president will understand!!!!

President Bush got his masters degree from Harvard Business School...where did you get yours?
I didn't.

President Bush has been responsible for the deaths of 4,000 American soldiers in Iraq.

I didn't do that either.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:12 am

iPodrodder wrote:
lskiles wrote:
iPodrodder wrote: Maybe even the president will understand!!!!

I didn't.

President Bush has been responsible for the deaths of 4,000 American soldiers in Iraq.

I didn't do that either.
I feel sorry for you if you really believe that.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:36 pm

Ok, fine. Maybe he wasn't directly responsible. But honestly, what have we done in the last few years there? Sure we're "securing Iraqi freedom" but fighting insurgents is a battle we can't win. We can kill a million of them but there will always be more religious hardliners to blow stuff up.

For the record, I do believe that. Bush didn't protest going in, he isn't advocating getting out.

As one of the few who actually has the power to keep them in or pull them out, I SHOULD HOPE that he owns the consequences of his actions.

Responsibility. Defined in Merriam-Webster's as 1. the quality or state responsible as: a. moral, legal or mental accountability

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:37 pm

Ok, fine. Maybe he wasn't directly responsible. But honestly, what have we done in the last few years there? Sure we're "securing Iraqi freedom" but fighting insurgents is a battle we can't win. We can kill a million of them but there will always be more religious hardliners to blow stuff up.

For the record, I do believe that. Bush didn't protest going in, he isn't advocating getting out.

As one of the few who actually has the power to keep them in or pull them out, I SHOULD HOPE that he owns the consequences of his actions.

Responsibility. Defined in Merriam-Webster's as 1. the quality or state responsible as: a. moral, legal or mental accountability.

Sorry, the dictionary applies to the president too. I feel sorry for you if you don't believe that.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:43 pm

I believe it. We aren't any closer to "Iraqi democracy" now than in the last few years. There will always be insurgents. You can't win a war against an army or country that never existed. For the record, I don't see the group religious hardliners as a concrete army. There are wackos in every bunch.

As one of the few with the power to pull the troops out or keep them in, I should HOPE that he can shoulder the consequences of his actions.

Responsibility: defined in Merriam-Webster's as "the quality or state of responsible: a. of moral, legal or mental ACCOUNTABILITY" (accountablity emphasized)

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:15 pm

iPodrodder wrote:I believe it.
President Bush isn't the only one keeping us in Iraq. Congress votes to fund it, they keep giving the money and they have the power to end it, but they aren't.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:17 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Noo-Clear.

E
You don't like it this way? Noo-Que-lar....or however he slaughters the english language...#-o

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
iPodrodder wrote:I believe it.
President Bush isn't the only one keeping us in Iraq. Congress votes to fund it, they keep giving the money and they have the power to end it, but they aren't.
That's why I said one of the few people.
iPodrodder wrote:As one of the few with the power to pull the troops out or keep them in,
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.