Need help for fishing Banks Lake

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bubba34
Angler

Need help for fishing Banks Lake

Post by Bubba34 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:35 am

I'am sure many of you on here have had this qeustion a million times and I have read some of the old threads and have some idea's on baits. I'll be leaveing for my trip sunday for a week of fishing on banks. I have never fished there before nor have I ever fished for bass, but I will be fishing from a boat. I have the bass bug now and need some help on fishing gear I need. I have no gear at all for bass fishing. I'am planning on heading over to Cabela's saturday so i just wanted to come here and get some suggestion's so i know what to buy. I see many people have alot rods and reels, will i need a varity for over there, also what length and action of rods will i need to use and what type of reels.

Thanks in advance

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

RE:Need help for fishing Banks Lake

Post by delyakguy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:24 am

Congrats on gettin Bass Bug!!! lol

Banks can be a great place to fish but also can be tough. Where are you staying? I usually stay at Coulee Playland, always great lg mouth in and around their docks and the cove where its located. New gear can be spendy, I recommend starting off with "Starters Kit", I wouldn't go all out before you know what you are getting into.Check out bassdozer.com, and cabelas.com since you will be stopping at Cabelas. I will PM ya with more info on best gear for Banks.

"Reel Screamer"
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:36 am

I recommend staying at Steamboat Rock Park. Its clean there, well organized, and they have fish cleaning stations, showers, etc.... I enjoy it everytime. Plus, easy docking of your boat, and the fish are just outside your tent.

Fishing wise, grab some Gary Yamamoto Senkos (4-5" length) and some 2/0 (pronounced "ought") Gamakatsu hooks. If you take these words to a tackle store, they will know exactly what your talking about. Any decent sized pole will work. Oh sorry, this is for bass fishing. Some other guys can tell you how to catch the walleye in the lake too.
Banks lake for LIFE!

2010 Big Fish Competition:
SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

sommysom
Petty Officer

Post by sommysom » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:58 am

I would recommend senko's, kut tail worms (watermelon) for drop shotting, flipping jigs (black/blue), spinner bait (char/white), shallow running cranks (2-4 ft). If you work the reeds (sp?) in the coves with 3/4 oz blk & blue jig you will find them in there but water needs to be stained a little becuase that lake can get clear especially in the shallows. If the shallows don't work and the sun is out find 10+ ft of water that has shade.

+1 on steamboat rock park

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:27 am

Exactly, fish the reeds, and if no bites, turn around 180° and fish the depths. They have to move somewhere!
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Bubba34
Angler

Post by Bubba34 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:11 am

I'll be staying at the sunbanks resort and according to the map its alittle north of steamboat rock and it looks like its towards Osborn bay and right before the town of eletric city. I looked at the forecast and it looks like its gonna be pretty hot, I heard when it gets really hot that you fish at night instead of the day and if so is this something I might need to do. :cheers: I didnt know their was largemouth in banks i thought it was all smallmouth.

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:32 am

Banks lake is one of my favorite lakes to fish. I highly recommend Steamboat rock state park if you can get in there. There are largemouth and smallmouth. The largemouth aren't as plentiful as the smallies but the ones that are in there are pretty good size. Stop at Big Wally's and grab a map of Banks lake, it can be handy for finding structure like old roadbeds and submerged islands. Familiarize yourself with the lake well before attempting to fish it at night. There are a lot of hidden sandbars and submerged rocks that would become virtually invisible at night. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. Be careful and have fun.
I know, I,know.... make up my mind !

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 am

I have stayed near the sunbanks resort. There is a small bridge you pass over right after the golf course (Which I got a hole in one at :-" ) and right before sunbanks. Fish that right where people have spray painted the road barrier. Its called the Causeway, and fish use a tunnel to get to the bay on the other side. You should be able to pull some fish out of that area.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Beware of "THE BAITMONKEY" .. she shows no mercy on any bass angler .. she will take all your money , and send you home with your head down .. My advise is to take your time and base your tackle on a trip by trip bases .. Just my 2 cents BBD :-#

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Bubba34
Angler

Post by Bubba34 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:44 am

Is wally's the tackle store at the gas station??...I'll try that causeway out....I'll wont let that bait monkey beat me to
bad :eye: .....I picked this rod out at cabelas online ...It the cabelas mag touch 6'6" Medium Heavy 12-25 3/8 to 2 Worm & Jig..will this work with spinnerbaits and all the other lure types as well??.....well i'am hopeing to get this rod so long as the store has it. Now all i need is to pick out a reel any suggestions:-"

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 am

Bubba34 wrote:Is wally's the tackle store at the gas station??...I'll try that causeway out....I'll wont let that bait monkey beat me to
bad :eye: .....I picked this rod out at cabelas online ...It the cabelas mag touch 6'6" Medium Heavy 12-25 3/8 to 2 Worm & Jig..will this work with spinnerbaits and all the other lure types as well??.....well i'am hopeing to get this rod so long as the store has it. Now all i need is to pick out a reel any suggestions:-"
Yup that's Big Wally's. That size rod will be just fine for all around use. There are a ton of reels out there that would be a good choice. Of course everyone has their own opinion on what brand is the best. I personally use Quantum reels just because I'm stuck in my ways and they've never let me down. My 11 year old son has a Diawa that seems to work great and it's really user friendly. We got rid of the Pfleuger he had originally because the backlash control didn't work worth a damn and the reel was just a p.o.s. Shimano and Abu Garcia also make good reels. A lot of reels have "burner 7:1 gear ratios". I would steer clear of those and just get a reel that has around 5.3:1 Also, generally the more ball bearings, the better. Don't waste your money on anything less than 4 ball bearings. Throw some quality 10-14 lb mono line(I like Stren) on that setup and your good to go.

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:26 am

If you go to Wal-Mart, or any sporting goods store, usually they have a couple of reels on sale. I picked up my Abu Garcia reel on sale for $25, with the before sale price of $45, so I scored there. Most reels will work, except maybe those snoopy ones lol.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Hawg hunter
Angler

Post by Hawg hunter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:40 am

All this advice is good, welcome to Bass fishing, it is a blast.... one thing to remember is Banks is a clear wate lake so whatever baits you get I would stay with the more natural colors.... weather has been so erratic that it is tough to say just what the fish are going to be doing... if you want smallies the area around steamboat is good, Sun banks area there are more Largemouths.... Good luck!
Support Catch and Release....feel the thrill again and again and again.............

SnohoBassGuy
Warrant Officer

Post by SnohoBassGuy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:15 am

Also here is another recommendation. Pull your vehicle over in the shoulder area, and just fish the embankment all around. Plenty of fish right off the road.

I love banks! Makes me jealous. I need to go back again this year.
Banks lake for LIFE!

SnohoBassGuy - 0
LowVW - 4lb 11 oz

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:07 pm

If you stop at Big Wally's in Coulee City which is the gas station.. you can ask them about where to fish and what has been working and get some tips! they are great! they have a store with about everything you can think of in it! Banks is awesome for bass but dont rule out that it is one of the best Walleye lakes in the state it can be tough but it you hit um it is awesome there are lots of perch and crappie in the lake also! Banks has just about everything in it! But Big Wally's can get you some tackle and things if you want to wait until you see what they have to say about the fishing! Good Luck!
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

Bubba34
Angler

Post by Bubba34 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 am

I'll swing by wally's on the way through and check it out... I remember there being a fishing store in eletric city called George's tackle does anyone remember that place??? The only reason i remember that place is because i saw a bumper sticker on the way through that said "George's Tackle Quit Wish'in Go Fish'in".....Mono vs Flourocarbon...I've never used flourocarbon before i've always used mono for salmon fishing. Is flourocarbon better for bass fishing or should i just stick with quilty mono??...I cant wait to go banks..the weather looking nice and hopefully the fishings good....I dont even care if i catch Dinks all day as long as i'am catching something:colors:

Hawg hunter
Angler

Post by Hawg hunter » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 am

Hey Bubba I remember George's Tackle...I loved the place... too bad he closed down.
As far as Mono or Flourocarbon the advantage to the flouro is thatit is almost invisible in the water, I have been trying all the brands and I will say I was really impressed with the P-line stuff this last weekend....had a 5lb.2oz. Largemouth wrap me around a submerged stump and battle her around that stump for about a minute before she came back out......when I checked the line there was not a single nick..

With the water clarity around here now I would say go with the Floro

Practice CPR

Catch, Photograph, Release..... Good luck on Banks
Support Catch and Release....feel the thrill again and again and again.............

Bubba34
Angler

Post by Bubba34 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Well I'am headed out tomarrow...still gotta stop and fight the Cabelas Bait Monkey:eye: ... thanks for the advice and as soon as i get back ill let you know how i did

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:43 am

I planned on asking a similiar question. But since this one is already going, hope you don't mind Bubba34 if I stick my head in.
I am also staying at SunBanks Lakes Resort, but in late July. I was wondering if anyone could line me out with some honey holes around that area. (Besides what SnohoBassGuy said) If it makes you more comfortable PM me. This will most likely be my only trip there this year and for some time. I am more than willing to exchange info. to a Westside lake if I can. And I won't share your info. with anyone. Thanks in advance gentlemen.
I'm really excited to fish this lake for the first time and have high hopes for it.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 am

i would first try the barker flats to see if the smallies would be schooled up out there. if they are it can be non-stop action on crankbaits & rat-l-traps. look for the edges of the flats between 8'-10', and 10'-12'.

if that doesn't work i would fish the shoreline next to the flats. you will see a cave in the way up in the rocky hills on the shoreline and thats about were you should start. the shore from there all the way down pretty far is all great fishing. expect fish to be up right next to shore in the mornings (great topwater action) and as the sun rises they will move deeper down the breaks into about 8'-12' of water. i use grubs and other crawfish imitators along with lizards and senkos. i'd suggest getting some KGM chucks delta bugs or jay bugs. smallie candy :compress: