oddest bait ever used

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tmusky1
Lieutenant

RE:oddest bait ever used

Post by tmusky1 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:57 pm

I remember one time as a kid, I was bored and out of nightcrawlers so I decided to use small pieces of red licorice to catch those little sculpin. I was bored OK? Well after a while, I noticed a huge crawdad crawling around so I lowered a piece in front of him and he latched onto it so hard I had to pry his claw open to drop him in the bucket.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:33 am

christopherbeebe wrote:i've heard of people using "preparation H" for panfish never tried it though
now is that the creme or suppository???? ROFL

well it is made with shark liver oil....does smell kinda fishy lol..
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:39 am

I do kno someone who goes to the pet store and buys feeder goldfish, puts them in the freezer to euthanize them, and use them as bait.....long as they are dead I would figure they would be legal.....

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:59 am

Weird bait...How 'bout Kids Play Dough..... Used a slice of my white t-shirt for Black cod off dock at Port Angeles..... Also did the white shirt trick in Canada at Lake Takala and Babine......Used gold # 16 bare hooks for anchovies and smelt.......Watched a 4 Y.O. kid at martha lake use old bait squished to the dock to catch a 4lb triploid with a snoopy pole......Best of all was the Pop top challange at Spectacle lake. It was a hoot. Just make your own lure out of a pop top and biggest fish wins. I caught fish but didn't win.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Salmon, Trout, Steelheader
Petty Officer

Post by Salmon, Trout, Steelheader » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Candy DOTS. put it under a bobber and got a nice bow.

BigBrown69
Angler

Post by BigBrown69 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:56 pm

Oddest bait used.....a booger, for perch.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:34 am

BigBrown69 wrote:Oddest bait used.....a booger, for perch.
Did you roll it up or use it like a trailer?

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:02 pm

I JUST GOT ANOTHER ONE.. THIS PAST WEEKEND I TOOK MY FAMILY OUT EAST TO LEADER LAKE THIS WEEK FOR FISHIN AND CAMPIN AND MY SON BROUGHT HIS SOFT AIR PISTOL..WELL ON A WALK HE TOOK HIS GUN AND SHOT A SOFTAIR BB INTO THE WATER AND IT DROVE THE BLUE GILLS CRAZY ONE WOULD PICK IT UP AND MOUTH IT AND DROP IT AND ANOTHER WOULD DO THE SAME AND SO ON AND SO ON IT WAS HILLARIUS WATCHING THEM PICK UP AND SPIT OUT THE BB LOL <CHECK OUT OUR FISHIN TRIP IN THE FRESHWATER REPORTS SECTION PICS INCLUDED>
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!

BigBrown69
Angler

Post by BigBrown69 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 am

I took the crusty part and put that on the hook with the soft part for a tail

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:00 pm

one of my friends caught fish on a piece of juicyfruit gum ..... he just put it on a bare hook and caught some little bass.... then the other one he will do is take a silver bottle cap and crimp it over the line above the hook and cast and reel it... it works like a spoon.....
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Jordan wrote:... then the other one he will do is take a silver bottle cap and crimp it over the line above the hook and cast and reel it... it works like a spoon.....
i've seen those bottle cap lures in Field and Stream. There's also a company (or two) that makes and sells them. http://www.bottlecaplure.com/lures.php

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
Jordan wrote:... then the other one he will do is take a silver bottle cap and crimp it over the line above the hook and cast and reel it... it works like a spoon.....
i've seen those bottle cap lures in Field and Stream. There's also a company (or two) that makes and sells them. http://www.bottlecaplure.com/lures.php
haha thats funny it doesnt suprise me though that someone would try to make some money off something like that!
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:25 am

Have a Private Lake I frequent and all the residents there pitch in every year and stock the lake. 4-5 lb RBT caught with bread! Kinda cool,..bread on a bobber and fish on!
"Passion-4-Bassin"

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:28 am

I seen the Infomercial on the Aviva Fisshing Buddie and decided to set up my own. I took my little RC boat,..tied a leader and a bobber with some bread and caught tons of 12" RBT before I got bored,..it was a blast! Fished in a private stocked lake.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

sanfrandan
Petty Officer

Post by sanfrandan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:00 pm

I'm sure many of you have tried this before but if fishing is great and you run out of bait, fish eye balls always work good or cut a piece of the fishes flesh off and use that.I have to say though the oddest thing i ever used to catch a fish with (cover your eyes if your smeamish) is hooking a baby mouse and shove him out on a piece of wood , the when he get close to a good bass cover area,ie: lily pad yank him of and watch him struggle. This is like a dinner bell for a large hungry bass.

Tight lines and fish on!!!:cheers:

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:47 pm

sanfrandan wrote:I'm sure many of you have tried this before but if fishing is great and you run out of bait, fish eye balls always work good or cut a piece of the fishes flesh off and use that.I have to say though the oddest thing i ever used to catch a fish with (cover your eyes if your smeamish) is hooking a baby mouse and shove him out on a piece of wood , the when he get close to a good bass cover area,ie: lily pad yank him of and watch him struggle. This is like a dinner bell for a large hungry bass.

lol....i thin you can buy pinkies which are baby mice...dont know where at....but wouldnt that fall under the live bait restriction? I'd be too affraid of getting bit by the mouse.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:12 am

When I was a kid growing up in L.A we used to go down to Redondo Beach and fish of the rocks,..about 30 yards out the Bonito and Yellowtail would be feeding on baitfish,..just a ginormous boil,..we used to tie on a water bobber with about a 6' leader a treble hook and wrap it with foil,..BAM fish on,..those fish are in the Tuna family and when you hook up with them it's a huge fight,..alot of fun!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:38 am

In Kansas, my uncle and I would catch sand toads on river beaches and use them on the trot lines for channel cats.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:59 am

cavdad45 wrote:In Kansas, my uncle and I would catch sand toads on river beaches and use them on the trot lines for channel cats.
I used to fish the canals there in KS and OK with my uncle also. A cut frog was the quickest way to catch a fat cat.

PaulReilly
Petty Officer

Post by PaulReilly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:49 am

ruthven78 wrote:
sanfrandan wrote:I'm sure many of you have tried this before but if fishing is great and you run out of bait, fish eye balls always work good or cut a piece of the fishes flesh off and use that.I have to say though the oddest thing i ever used to catch a fish with (cover your eyes if your smeamish) is hooking a baby mouse and shove him out on a piece of wood , the when he get close to a good bass cover area,ie: lily pad yank him of and watch him struggle. This is like a dinner bell for a large hungry bass.

lol....i thin you can buy pinkies which are baby mice...dont know where at....but wouldnt that fall under the live bait restriction? I'd be too affraid of getting bit by the mouse.
Wow, pretty sick. Be a man and use an artificial. I have used a frog when I was a kid, it just bothered me when the little guy grabbed the hook. I switched to artificials then.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.