crappie fishing

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
papamike
Petty Officer

crappie fishing

Post by papamike » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:48 pm

I would like to find a place to take my grandson crappie fishing in the spokane area. nether of us have been

Gisteppo
Commodore

RE:crappie fishing

Post by Gisteppo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:03 pm

Are you totally sold on crappie? Or can it be crappie/bass/perch?

E

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:06 pm

I have fished perch and bass. just dont know where to go for crappie.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:05 pm

i have caught many crappie in liberty lake, and i have heard some good reports out of newman lake as well. depending on when you go, with whom (age) and in what boat, i might recommend one over the other. i'll explain...

if you saw a recent liberty lake post, you saw the author and a few others (myself included) gripe about the lousy "enhanced" launch there. if you go on a weekday and don't have to battle the zoo at the launch, you will have a better experience. also, my best luck for crappie has been at the end of the lake opposite the public launch, and that's why i asked what boat you might be bringing. in my v8 ski boat it's a 2 minute drive, in my 12' aluminum with 6hp on, it's about 15. and maybe with a little tot on board and some boat/jetski traffic, it could be a sketchy trip.

the reports that came out of newman, and the pictures i saw from it, sounded like they were getting into them on the south end, where the public launch is. so, if you are in a smaller boat and/or with younger kids, or just pressed for time, you only have a quick trip to where they were catching them. i haven't caught any crappie there myself, but i haven't fished that lake much.

best of luck to you and the grandson!
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

Jesper
Petty Officer

Post by Jesper » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:28 pm

My best bet would be Eloika, or Long Lake if you have a boat. Even better would be to go to Lake Coeur D'Alene, but gas and license adds up these days. I also heard Hauser has good crappie fishing, but I've never fished there.
"Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." - Henry Ford

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:37 pm

well we hit newman this morning lots of perch and blue gill a fiew bass tried jigs with worms, corn, powerbait magots spinners and plugs. we fished the south end of the lake. no crappies yet. any tips?

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:12 pm

I fished there on Friday evening, only got on crappie you can see my post in the reports. The bass/perch/bluegill were bitter better than the crappie, even using the white crappie jigs.

papamike
Petty Officer

Post by papamike » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:10 pm

What about the rig to use and should it be tipped with any thing and what size Im thinking of trying some where else.

aquaholic
Petty Officer

Post by aquaholic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:48 pm

never fished newman for crappie but liberty produces many of them but just not so big. I hit the back end of the lake, they are a little deeper then they were last month but I fished yesterday and releases couple dozen of then in the 10-15' of water mostly under old docks. they are in the 6-10" zone, I love to fish for them in Idaho lake, like Hayden and Spirit where the get into 14" and over 2lb.

Good luck

p.s. nothing works better then a red and white crappie squid type jig 2-2.5"

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”