Line Question

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
raffensg64
Commander

Line Question

Post by raffensg64 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 am

Gents,

In the Definitions of Terms section of the pamphlet, the "Fly Fishing Only" paragraph states that a conventional fly line must be used. Does conventional mean floating? I'm guessing no, that it would state floating instead if that's what was meant. One of my partners asked a game warden a few years back and was told sinking line is OK. Still, I've wondered about it to this day.

I ask this question because why would it be legal to use a sinking line but unlawful to attach weight to the leader or line (if using a floating line) as stated in same paragraph?

Any input???

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:Line Question

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:14 am

Makes no sense to me, other than trying to keep any source of lead out of the water. I know there is lead-free pastes and split-shot, but if no weights are allowed, greatly reduces the chance of some knucklehead putting lead shot on their leader and depositing it in the lake. Only reason I could think of...
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:48 pm

I would assume that "conventional" to mean line designed to be used as "fly line" and to be casted in that manner. Usually, rules for "fly fishing only" lakes are proposed by Fly Fishing Clubs/organizations and are written to exclude spin casting equipment of any sort including monofilament lines and traditional "sinkers".

While in a Fly fishing club many years ago in Idaho, we rehabilitated a small desert reservoir near Mt. Home Idaho. As a "trade-off" for using our own resources to rehab the reservoir we proposed "fly-fishing only" rules that were adopted by the State.

Tight Lines!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:45 pm

I agree with both replies.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”