Water Temperatures for Bluegill

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
catchmorebluegill
Petty Officer

Water Temperatures for Bluegill

Post by catchmorebluegill » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:08 am

I have a book that says that bluegill prefer a water temperature from 75-80 degrees. However, I think that most lakes around here don't even get to be 70 degrees (Horseshoe) and some of them still hold sunfish. Does anybody know the water temperatures that they prefer here, or if any lakes around here reach that temperature? Any input is appreciated.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

RE:Water Temperatures for Bluegill

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:15 am

catchmorebluegill wrote:I have a book that says that bluegill prefer a water temperature from 75-80 degrees. However, I think that most lakes around here don't even get to be 70 degrees (Horseshoe) and some of them still hold sunfish. Does anybody know the water temperatures that they prefer here, or if any lakes around here reach that temperature? Any input is appreciated.
I think bulegill will live in anything, they just like warmer water. I caught some this last weekend, 6" mostly, in water that was only 53 degrees. Still, warm water is usually better.

This is the biggest reason I think you find bluegill in shallow water, the main lake will be cooler, but the edges are always warmer.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

catchmorebluegill
Petty Officer

Post by catchmorebluegill » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:18 am

Thank you. I think that the book was more geared toward Southern anglers, because it also said that they would stop feeding around 59 degrees.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:52 pm

i was at klineline yesterday night and the water was about 65-70 degrees.. was very warm.. and bluegill were biting like crazy lol

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:01 am

The SE corner of Klineline is loaded with bluegill. Most people pass them up for the trout fishing though. Every once and a while you will see huge bass strolling in that same area but good luck trying to catch one. Klineline bass are hard to catch. Ive caught a few time to time. I think most of the lunkers target the trout in the lake since WDFW stocks it with an ridiculous amount of them each year.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:03 am

fishman123 wrote:The SE corner of Klineline is loaded with bluegill. Most people pass them up for the trout fishing though. Every once and a while you will see huge bass strolling in that same area but good luck trying to catch one. Klineline bass are hard to catch. Ive caught a few time to time. I think most of the lunkers target the trout in the lake since WDFW stocks it with an ridiculous amount of them each year.
they stock so much because it gets fished out in 3 days...

crappie007
Warrant Officer

Post by crappie007 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:45 am

Alright, I haven't been out much this year like years past. I was at newman and clear a
2-4 weeks ago, water temp was 58-59 and I was cacthing blue gills.
I have seen 70 degree lake temps here at spokane county lakes, mostly 64-68.
Silver lake use to have a great blue gill population, 7-9 inches "fat" were common.
That was three years ago and I wouldn't know about now.
Clear lake holds bluegills, I haven't found any schools, I just find one fish here and there.

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”