chrome bodied chironomid pupa imitations

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

chrome bodied chironomid pupa imitations

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 pm

How many here have fished with "chromies" or chrome bodied chironomid pupa imitations?

Back when I first heard of them I was skeptical that a silver bodied fly could imitate any of the varius colored pupa when they were emerging. Since them I've fished them successfully in a number of different chronie hatches.

I prefer to tie them on the Tiemco heavy wire hook.

Bill

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:chrome bodied chironomid pupa imitations

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:57 pm

I have yet to be very successful fishing chironomids, in general. For the most part I have used a couple different styles, but as of yet have not tried the "chromies" or "ice cream cone" patterns. From what I understand they are fairly good flies to use, but when I see a belly full of the reddish/brown blood worms...I can't quite get myself to break the cycle of using them.

I think in general me fishing the same patterns is not a good idea as I am limiting my "arsenal" or options. Once I start tying...the chromies will be one of my first.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Bloodworms aren't the same as pupa. Bloodworms hang out close to the bottom...probably within the bottom 12 inches. Pupa are bloodworms that have "morphed" to a pupa and are working their way to the surface to emerge. It may take them 3 days to get to the surface but eventually they will get there.

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:52 pm

I love "Chrommy's"

I posted these before for deahcim dahc.

Cheers
The Chironomid Guy

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:24 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:Bloodworms aren't the same as pupa. Bloodworms hang out close to the bottom...probably within the bottom 12 inches. Pupa are bloodworms that have "morphed" to a pupa and are working their way to the surface to emerge. It may take them 3 days to get to the surface but eventually they will get there.
Right...the bloodworms if I am not mistaken are the larva stage. The pupa are the one's I have used, but unsuccessfully. For the most part the only reason I have fished those, I have found shucks floating in the water that resemble the chironomids I have in my box relatively close. The colors are close to the color of the larvae I've found in the fish's stomachs. But, I guess since the gas in the pupae changes their colors somewhat, focus shouldn't be entirely on what's in the stomach.

The chironomids I have look fairly close to the picture chironomid_guy posted. Not sure whether that's considered a "chromie" or not. I have been under the impression they look quite different than what I have been using. Below are a couple images that compare the two. The Chromie is from the Fly Fisher's Republic site, the second image is the pupa pattern I have been using thus far.
Attachments
chironomid.jpg
chironomid.jpg (24.42 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
chromie.jpg
chromie.jpg (53.04 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:24 am

I think the reason you are having problems fishing chironomids is you don't have any confidence in them.

In the Spring 85% of a trout's diet is chronies.

I forget whether my source is Brian Chan or Phil Rowley.

The ones you showed look close enough to be a "chromie".

Besides some confidence the next thing is the right area of the lake. Mud bottoms are where the larva live. A "fish finder" would help locate mud bottoms with fish arches within 18 inches. That would mean fish eating bloodworms or pupa.

My buddy thinks indicator fishing is boring so don't think it's just you.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:24 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I think the reason you are having problems fishing chironomids is you don't have any confidence in them.

In the Spring 85% of a trout's diet is chronies.

I forget whether my source is Brian Chan or Phil Rowley.

The ones you showed look close enough to be a "chromie".

Besides some confidence the next thing is the right area of the lake. Mud bottoms are where the larva live. A "fish finder" would help locate mud bottoms with fish arches within 18 inches. That would mean fish eating bloodworms or pupa.

My buddy thinks indicator fishing is boring so don't think it's just you.
Both of those sources are great! Funny you should mention Phil Rowley...I was looking around a site last night and ended up at Phil Rowley's site and registered for his newsletter. He has some interesting articles written and posted there. In particular, "Hitchhiker's Guide To Chironomids"...very informative.

As far as confidence goes...I would have to guess I haven't used them enough to know any different. After reading through Phil Rowley's article, it has become apparent I have been fishing them incorrectly, as well. Whether it be not waiting long enough for them to sink to the bottom, or not deep enough, etc., etc.. Rookie mistakes.

Which style of Chromie have you been using with the most success? Have you been tying up the tinsel body styles. Thanks!
Chad

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:34 am

Back when Phil was working on putting his book out we were discussing chironomids. I don't normally run in his circle but we had a mutual friend. He was promoting Spring Creek Prams as Jim gave him one to use for advertising purposes. I mentioned I knew Jim Wheeler during Phil's first appearance at the Bellevue fly show and Phil became all chatty after that. That started a long bout of chronie email discussions about why the chromie was so successful.

I tie the chromie just like it is described in Rowley's book.

I like his chironomid patters better than Brian Chan's as they seem more "fishy". Just a thought.

I used to fly fish a lot until I bought a Lund, went over to the dark side, and began my fish bonking career. Before then I thought trout were the only fish to be caught and best to release them.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:30 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I tie the chromie just like it is described in Rowley's book.

I like his chironomid patters better than Brian Chan's as they seem more "fishy". Just a thought.
Thanks, I'll have to check some out. I haven't read his book, but it will be added to my growing list. :-)
Chad

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:14 pm

I picked up a couple new styles today while I was out and about. I will be giving them a test drive either this evening or tomorrow some time. Whatever body of water I happen to be on at the time will pretty much dictate how I will fish them. Whether under an indicator on floating line or vertically with sinking line.

Not sure how they'll work out. They are a bit different, yet again from others I have seen. The bodies seem to be made of a hard material...similar to burnt mono, a white bead head, peacock herl (at least appears to be) and a fine wire ribbing that matches the body color yet reflects a spectrum of colors. For example, a red one would have a red body of course with a red wire wrapped around it. In the sunlight that red wire obviously looks red, but has a slight hint of blue, green and others depending upon the angle you look at it. Then again...could be just a reaction from something the wifey slipped me in my breakfast! :-D

As far as sizes go...I got a couple of each color in both #14 and #16. We'll see what happens.
Chad

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 pm

O.K., the new "chromies" didn't work out as I had hoped. However, it wasn't because they weren't the right fly per se, but the wrong size and colors...or that's my theory. Did a bit of research on a hatch I witnessed, and I think I have a better idea of what's going on and what I need to do to correct it.

After a few photos and a bit of research on the net, I have the critter narrowed down. I guess it shouldn't really be an issue learning the scientific names of these things, more importantly matching the size and color of the larva, pupa, emergers and adults. It was interesting none-the-less to find out what they were...kinda like discovering something new. At least from my perspective. Below are a couple images of what I found. Both a male and female...or at least from other images, they look like both male and female.
Attachments
female_midge.jpg
female_midge.jpg (78.08 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
midge_3.jpg
midge_3.jpg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
midge_1.jpg
midge_1.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”