river fishing for smallmouth

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
troutmasterj
Angler

river fishing for smallmouth

Post by troutmasterj » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:17 pm

I am not much of a river fishermen but I am going to hells canyon and thought I might try to fish the snake river for bass.
I was wandering if any one could help me out with what tackel to use what a good spot looks like or any other tips.

cavdad45
Commodore

RE:river fishing for smallmouth

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:24 pm

In fishing current the idea is to make your offering appear to be disabled or helplessly disoriented in the current. Bass will ALWAYS be facing the current waiting for food to come to them. So...fish the current breaks or seams where a bass can expend as little energy as possible waiting for dinner.

Casts should be accurate because the fish won't chase in most circumstances.

However, lure selection or rather color is not too critical because you are relying on a bass to make a quick decision either to commit and hit your lure or allow it to passby. Therefore, spinnerbaits, trout spinners, Rat-L-Traps, and shallow crankbaits can seriously kick butt here. In slower areas you can pitch tubes or jigs where there is debris or obstacles.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:03 pm

I love Rapala Jointed Shad Raps for Smallies when fishing rocky banks...I don't fish them in a river, only on rocky walls/banks...Never fished for smallies in river....
Tick em off the top of rocks and hold on....If they are biting good, they'll hit em hard....If they aren't working, slow it down and slow roll a smaller sized spinnerbait off the top or bump a tube jig....

Gotta love smallies. Great fight outta those little things....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:22 pm

I have fished the Hells Canyon res. all my life send me a pm and I will give you our family's hole:-$ As for small moth they are all over down there all the big ones I have caught on a whole night crawler cat fishing but stick with crawdad colors in hard baits and plastics. I have a couple places to send you so I will be looking for your pm!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:40 pm

cavdad45 wrote:In fishing current the idea is to make your offering appear to be disabled or helplessly disoriented in the current. Bass will ALWAYS be facing the current waiting for food to come to them. So...fish the current breaks or seams where a bass can expend as little energy as possible waiting for dinner.

Casts should be accurate because the fish won't chase in most circumstances.

However, lure selection or rather color is not too critical because you are relying on a bass to make a quick decision either to commit and hit your lure or allow it to passby. Therefore, spinnerbaits, trout spinners, Rat-L-Traps, and shallow crankbaits can seriously kick butt here. In slower areas you can pitch tubes or jigs where there is debris or obstacles.
In fishing in the Mighty Columbia near Vancouver I do not find the conditions mentioned, ie current breaks, seams, etc.

All there is is current and strong current at that. I saw a guy at Wintler Park using a 12" crescent wrench for a weight just to slow down the offering. Can I use the crankbaits in this situation? Pitch up stream and drift it by and then retrieve when it passes you? You said in "slower areas you can pitch tubes or jigs" and even the slough is fast and dirty.

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread, but it is about fishing for smallmouth bass in the Columbia and it is a river.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Lewis, in the Columbia I stay out of the main river and work the quiet coves and backwaters. Then I fish it like a moving water impoundment like in the south. Drano Lake, the inlets near the Bridge of the Gods are good. Also look at the big pond near Cascade Locks and my personal favorite....Mayer State Park near The Dalles.

One nice thing about the backwater areas of the Columbia is that once in a while you get a cool surprise like a walleye. The main river is too fast, cold, and dangerous right now.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.