Sand bags

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Sand bags

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 am

Does anyone know where I could pick some up? I'm gonna guess Lowe's or Home Depot has em, but figured I'd just check in here...I just need a few....

I need some to stick up in the front of my boat when I'm out there solo....I want some weight up in the front when I'm driving out in the chop in the saltwater...

Or does anyone have any creative ideas to make em? Know what kinda bags work and what not? I can get sand real easily out front of our beach cabin.....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

dilbert
Captain

RE:Sand bags

Post by dilbert » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 pm

I really want to get a simulate like Buster on Mythbusters... but sand bags is probably more cost effective. How much weight are you looking to add? 3 5-gallon water jugs would add about 120lbs.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:16 pm

You might want to consider some weight-lifting weights rather than sand - they'd take up less room and wouldn't create any mess if the sandbag sprung a leak. I think you can by plates (45 pounds) for fairly cheap at Joes.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:29 pm

I know of something that might work. It's not a sandbag though. Pretty close to Buster actually... About 160#, carries itself along with his own gear and chips in on gas...:-"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:33 pm

Oops double post, see below....
Mod's: you can delete this post...
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Drewp wrote:You might want to consider some weight-lifting weights rather than sand - they'd take up less room and wouldn't create any mess if the sandbag sprung a leak. I think you can by plates (45 pounds) for fairly cheap at Joes.
I'm feeling sandbags for this job just because it's going to be bumpy up front and a sandbag displaces the weight evenly over the entire bag, where as one of those weight lifting plates would have all the weight in a few spots and I don't want that to be bumping around up front.... Reason being the front of my Lund is a V-Hull so it wouldn't be resting on a flat surface, rather a concaved surface.....Sandbag would mold to that un-even surface....

The boat is just too fast when I'm in it alone. I need to put some weight up front, cause going full board in even the slightest chop/waves, only the motor is in the water, and just a tiny part of the back of the boat stays down, but usually I'm flying right on top of the water. I've messed around with the tilt and it doesn't help much. Having one guy up in the front is real nice and we can still scoot around real quick.

I'm probably looking for something like 3 bags, hopefully around 25-30 lbs each, so if it is real choppy I can load it up with near 100 lbs in the front but can also just put in on or two when conditions dictate that....

Gringo,
I'll keep an eye out for you with an open seat in mind....We still have to get out to my spot for smallmouth...I'll be shooting you a PM shortly, as I'm almost back in Washington...

One word of caution: I am out fishing in the salt in a 12' boat, which isn't exactly really comfortable. I fish solo a lot but can easily and usually pretty comfortable fish 2, and I do have a 15 horse motor on it which moves around real fast, even with two guys. I do have downriggers and a fish finder, so it's got all the stuff on it to catch salmon, and it does. I go out a lot in all sorts of weather, but can't go far. Unfortunately I'm stationed up at Whidbey Island so it's not real easy to hookup with other fellas cause I'm not launching from Everett or Mukilteo or Shilshole or anything...However, I would be willing to drive around to pick people up on the calmer days out there. I run from Pt. No Point to Bush Point to Possession to Mukilteo to Clinton...All very long runs in a 12' boat, but on a calm day, they aren't bad at all...The 15 horse pushes me solo probably near or over 25 mph.....Pretty good speed. Worst comes to worst I can offer up some fresh crabs salmon and clams when I get back home to Bellevue...It never gets waisted, but the neighbors are always getting it....

The plans to get a bigger boat this spring fell through. #-o The 20' Center console would be nice, but hey, at least I'll only have to pay $4.20 per gallon to power a 15hp motor as opposed to a 150 horse....
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:13 pm

The only sand bags that I have seen at lows or HD are 70lb bags. But they might sell lighter ones. Go down to a bark and gravle place. Most of them will sell bags of sand, but you have to fill them yourself. But this way you can make them what ever size you want. They are also alot cheaper at the bark and gravle places. Either way they arnt very expensive where ever you buy them.

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:50 pm

Sam ,what you really want to use are the collapsible type water bladders.They will conform to your bottom of the boat better than sandbags(they come in 60-80 #bags that are made of stiff material).The bladders are what people use in all sorts of boats just for that purpose since you can adjust how much weight you want very easily.I am not to sure where to buy them at but I would think Boaters World or West Marine. I have read about them in some boating forums and I think they call them ballast bags or such.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:09 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:Sam ,what you really want to use are the collapsible type water bladders.They will conform to your bottom of the boat better than sandbags(they come in 60-80 #bags that are made of stiff material).The bladders are what people use in all sorts of boats just for that purpose since you can adjust how much weight you want very easily.I am not to sure where to buy them at but I would think Boaters World or West Marine. I have read about them in some boating forums and I think they call them ballast bags or such.
Yea but they can be pricey....It's a good idea and they would work, but sandbags are just so cheap and easy....Good idea, I'll check into it p2tc

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Here is a cheap way.Get a used rubber innertube and fill it up with sand.Just cut it open fill it with how much you need and tie the ends up.This method gives you a flexible casing that won't beat up the floor.Found it on some boating archives.The bladder method is what wakeboard boats use to give a monster wake.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:37 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:Here is a cheap way.Get a used rubber innertube and fill it up with sand.Just cut it open fill it with how much you need and tie the ends up.This method gives you a flexible casing that won't beat up the floor.Found it on some boating archives.The bladder method is what wakeboard boats use to give a monster wake.
Good idea. I had a few sand bags left over from a construction site, but somehow they are gone now....

Are you sure they sell those bladders in that small of a size? The ones that wakeboard boats use can sometimes be over 1,000 lbs.....

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:36 pm

i have the same problem in my 12' er with my new 8hp honda. by myself, it just won't plane, the bow rides so high i can't even see!! i normally just use water...a nice sized cooler 3/4 full in the bow (strap it to the front bench seat so it doesn't "wander" backwards)of water usually adds about 100lbs....plus you can always dump some/add some for free...not to mention keep your fish fresh.....but i have heard of my buddies using sand....both work well.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Bscman
Warrant Officer

Post by Bscman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:10 am

produce2troutcat wrote:Here is a cheap way.Get a used rubber innertube and fill it up with sand.Just cut it open fill it with how much you need and tie the ends up.This method gives you a flexible casing that won't beat up the floor.Found it on some boating archives.The bladder method is what wakeboard boats use to give a monster wake.
I was going to recommend the same thing.
The sandbags out there made of burlap, canvas, or tarp-like material don't usually last long...especially around vibration and sharp edges. Go down to your local mom and pop tire shop, or one that deals with heavy trucks and equipment, and get a tube. We have a salvage yard locally that sells tubes for $2-5 every summer for rafting trips and such. Use HEAVY DUTY zip ties, or paracord to cinch the ends closed.
You could cut a tube into 2-3 pieces to have separate bags if you desire.

One large tube works well for weight in the back of your pickup as well...it pretty much stays in place, and reaches the entire width of the bed for even weight distribution--great for winter.

I have a 12.5' aluminum alaskan smoker with a 15hp 2-stroke yamaha.
With a 15lb anchor, large tacklebox, and cooler up front I still don't dare go over 1/2 throttle. The bow raises up so high it'll darn near do a backflip. Add 50lbs of sand under the front seat and it helps a TON. Now, I can almost see where I'm going.
It does much better with 150lbs of fishing buddy, though.

Definitely a bit OVER POWERED....hehehe

Islandfisherman
Petty Officer

Post by Islandfisherman » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:12 am

How about a visit to the local fire station?...and if it were me I'd bring along a couple-a-dozen chocolate chip cookies!!,Good Luck,Alan

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Good idea. I had a few sand bags left over from a construction site, but somehow they are gone now....

Are you sure they sell those bladders in that small of a size? The ones that wakeboard boats use can sometimes be over 1,000 lbs.....
I am not to sure though I vaguely recall reading awhile back about some Arima owners having problems with a light bow and it was suggested to use some kind of bladder.When I saw the comment about the innertube they had mentioned the wakeboarders using bladders for creating huge wakes to launch off of.Now I think that a collaspible water carrier that is used for camping might work.They come in a 5 gallon size ,are made of flexible plastic,can be filled and emptied at whatever body of water you are at,cost is under $10,so a couple of them would give you 80+ lbs.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:44 pm

Hey Sam.
Are you set now? I may have some bags but the quality isn't very good.They tear a little to easy after being used a few times.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:57 pm

kevinb wrote:Hey Sam.
Are you set now? I may have some bags but the quality isn't very good.They tear a little to easy after being used a few times.
Not yet. I am still out of state, but will be home tomorrow night. I think I'm gonna stop by the local Home Depot and pick up a few sand bags....