needing help

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
thomas spivey
Angler

needing help

Post by thomas spivey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:57 pm

hey my name is thomas spivey and i am moving into the curlew area for the job corps program and i am a very avid fisherman i have grown up in mainly westport and know alot about salmon sea bass trout sturgeon halibut tuna steelhead largemouth bass perch crab but that is only for in our are (grays harbor) and im needing help figuring out the are around curlew for fishing to see what there is and what i need to do if you have any suggestions my email is tspivey2007@hotmail.com and i would appreciate all the help i can get p.s. i can share some really good secrets that i have if you need them.

sincerraly
thomas spivey

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:needing help

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:53 pm

I can speak a bit about Curlew Lake. My wife and I used to go to Tiffany's Resort every year for our anniversary. At the north end of the lake is large cove that holds bass. We've caught bass in there ourselves. At the south end of the lake is another connected and smaller lake called Lake Roberta. It also holds bass. It is accessable through a very shallow and narrow passage. We've never caught any bass in there but we did get to watch the largest beaver we've ever seen. As far as the lake proper is concerned, it holds some of the best rainbow trout I've ever fished for. While they are a bit tough to find without a sonar unit, when you do find them and hook into them, they will fight like twice their weight. I once caught a two pounder that I thought was at least a five pounder till it came to the net. There is at least one net/pen on the lake and it's located at Tiffany's. The lake is filled with mysis shrimp and the rainbows feed on them voraciously. Because of that, their flesh is as pink as a chinook salmon and quite delicious. My best success on the lake was trolling slow over submerged islands with about 70 feet of leaded line, a Giant Cowbell flasher followed 3 feet behind with a Hyland Fling or Triple Teaser. Set your drag loose as a strike could easily break a 4 pound leader on impact.
North of the lake a few miles is the Kettle River. It's another great place to fish but access is limited because of very possessive and sometimes beligerant property owners. Some who have floated the Kettle have actually had guns pointed at them by overly protective land owners.
I hope you have fun and enjoy the area. It's beatiful country and steeped in mining history.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

jmay
Lieutenant

RE:needing help

Post by jmay » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:18 am

Spivey, everyone is FROM Republic/Curlew after the mine and lumber mill closed, it should improve the fishing:-"
My wife is from Republic and I has sent a lot of time there. Curlew is a fairly ez fishery, its loaded with squawfish trout can be caught on cowbell wedding rings and worm set trolling anytime. Still fishing in summer is best after dark some big rainbows are pulled out in the middle of night. However the local's don't really fish Curlew that much. 5 miles out of town on highway 20 there is a right turn for the Scatter Creek Drainage. Drive up the hill you will find several smaller lakes, (fish, long, swan to name a couple) they stay cooler due to elevation and provide a pretty good fishery

Lotech mentions people on the Kettle have actually had guns pointed at them by overly protective land owners, thats a true story but that is closer to Oreint and the Barstow area 45mins away. The San Poil river is a good bet but you need to get a Colville Tribal License