LINGCOD Thread - 2008 Season Only

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

RE: LINGCOD Thread - 2008 Season Only

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:56 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:I'll be looking to get out this weekend...Sat/Sun before it closes...*HOPEFULLY!

best of luck sam k., i would love to see a pic of a nice ling from you.....i'm sure you'll be in 9 right??
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:04 pm

Yes sir Rolland. Home base is on Whidbey Island...Can't run far in a small aluminum... I'll be the guy getting all the looks cuz I'm bobbing out there in a 12' red Lund...Those big fiberglass boats look at me like WTF is that kid doing...Whatever, it's a great setup for most of the time in the sound when it's calm enough...At least I'm only filling up a 6 gal tank hooked up to a 15 hp motor...I'm actually glad I don't have a bigger boat. I can run all day for a few days on a single tank. With gas nearing $5, I don't think I could justify going out on a big boat....Too expensive to fuel.

I'll likely fish Double Bluff again. I don't love Possession all that much and I always find the rockfish over at Double Bluff...They are about as good as lings in my opinion...I'm heading home from school on Friday, I'm hoping I can get my act together and spend that weekend up at Whidbey at the cabin and fish those last few days of the Ling season...
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:49 pm

I'll be out in my 12ft yak:batman:

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:59 pm

you should be good in the lund, it looks like a fairly calm forecast, but you never really know until your out there..

man, i love being the smallest boat out there, and you're right....some of the looks are priceless!!

i suppose you haven't got those sand bags....so you'll be looking for some weight up front??? :-"

is the Whidbey home base anywhere near Fort Casey?? that's the farthest south i've launched/fished on Whidbey.

good call on the small motor...i do the same. with my little two stoke 3 hp yamaha i can get 12-15 mpg at full throttle (10-12 with the 8hp honda), 6 gallons, now that's some miles...

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:01 pm

kayak chris wrote:I'll be out in my 12ft yak:batman:
ALRIGHT!! good to hear you'll be out kayak chris....looks like you're always part of the 12'er club...and no gas tank!! :thumleft:

will you be hitting the usual spot...??,,,,somewhere near tacoma i think???
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:
is the Whidbey home base anywhere near Fort Casey?? that's the farthest south i've launched/fished on Whidbey.
Nah I'm on the south end of the island. Fort Casey is a ways north.... It would be about an hour or more in my Lund if I drove up there...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:50 am

ALRIGHT!! good to hear you'll be out kayak chris....looks like you're always part of the 12'er club...and no gas tank!! :thumleft:

Nope. Out of area 9. However, I am going to be dropping my yak in the water out in area 4. Pulled some nice Lings off a charter last weekend. I think it is my best shot at the "big fish"

On a side note, it was a very informative trip. It was a halibut charter. The 6 of us picked up 15 lings. We were in 350 feet of water. Two different rigs. A 2 pound rectangular chunk of lead 18 inchs below a white 5 inch scampi or B-52 squid. The second rig was a copper pipe jig. About 12 inches long, made out 3/4 inch copper filled with lead. Attached to it was one, softball sized treble hook (never really seen a treble that big before). All lings caught on ............that big ugly, corroded pipe jig with the enormous hook!?!:-k

Jerome
Petty Officer

Post by Jerome » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:20 am

I will be out between possesion and double bluff on saturday. Its going to be crazy with people but i would like to nab 1 more keeper before season ends.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 am

kayak chris wrote:

Nope. Out of area 9. However, I am going to be dropping my yak in the water out in area 4. Pulled some nice Lings off a charter last weekend. I think it is my best shot at the "big fish"

On a side note, it was a very informative trip. It was a halibut charter. The 6 of us picked up 15 lings. We were in 350 feet of water. Two different rigs. A 2 pound rectangular chunk of lead 18 inchs below a white 5 inch scampi or B-52 squid. The second rig was a copper pipe jig. About 12 inches long, made out 3/4 inch copper filled with lead. Attached to it was one, softball sized treble hook (never really seen a treble that big before). All lings caught on ............that big ugly, corroded pipe jig with the enormous hook!?!:-k

AREA 4 !!, in the kayak...:pale: you must know some good spots....and be one of the bravest anglers i know. :salut:

i hope you get one big enough to pull that kayak in circles kayak chris. any size to the fish on the charter??? any halibut?? i have heard of the ol' pipe jig, but have never made one up yet.....maybe i should.

Jerome wrote:I will be out between possesion and double bluff on saturday. Its going to be crazy with people but i would like to nab 1 more keeper before season ends.
we better see pics Jerome!!!

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:53 am

kayak chris wrote:
Rollin with Rolland wrote: ALRIGHT!! good to hear you'll be out kayak chris....looks like you're always part of the 12'er club...and no gas tank!! :thumleft:

AREA 4 !!, in the kayak...:pale: you must know some good spots....and be one of the bravest anglers i know. :salut:

i hope you get one big enough to pull that kayak in circles kayak chris. any size to the fish on the charter??? any halibut?? i have heard of the ol' pipe jig, but have never made one up yet.....maybe i should.

Jerome wrote:I will be out between possesion and double bluff on saturday. Its going to be crazy with people but i would like to nab 1 more keeper before season ends.
we better see pics Jerome!!!

Biggest ling- A skinny 49 incher. Biggest halibut.

Why Kayak fish areas 1, 2, 3, 4?

http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/videos/ ... ak-Fishing

Pretty safe in all actuality. In addition, nothing beats a big fish sleigh ride.

Check out the home page halibut on this site: http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/

Jerome
Petty Officer

Post by Jerome » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:09 am

I still havent posted pics of the 37 incher caught out of sams home field. We also nabbed two good rockfish and a greenling.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:39 pm

Jerome wrote:I still havent posted pics of the 37 incher caught out of sams home field. We also nabbed two good rockfish and a greenling.

yeah right......suuure you caught a 37"er.....:-" :jocolor:

Jerome
Petty Officer

Post by Jerome » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:21 pm

Well i guess i have to prove Roland wrong. Here is the picture.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:04 pm

now that's what i'm talking about.....beautiful fish Jerome. we need someone to break 37" in 4 days...i'm packing the boat up right now...gonna be out early tomorrow....

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:35 pm

Mother Nature is not cooperating for me...to windy. tried both yesterday and today, and when you hit 3'ers (wind waves) in a small craft, time to turn around. didn't even get to wet a line. not looking good for the rest of the weekend either in 7....i may have to get a charter!! :-$

Jerome
Petty Officer

Post by Jerome » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Not breaking 37inches this year. Made my last trip out this morning. We were off the water by 10am with our two rockfish, two lings, and a cabby. Lings were 26 and 28. Cabby had its tail bitten off at some point in the past. Hope someone can beat 37.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:54 pm

not looking to good for me either Jerome.....i got a report posting soon about today. i'll be out tomorrow morning at about 5:00 am...gonna get the lunker I lost today....

hey, at last you finished up a great season with some fish in the boat...i'm praying to the fish gods tonight!! [-o< [-o< [-o<

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:38 am

Well it looks like the King Ling crown gets split between Rollin with Roland & Jerome! All Hail!:cheers:

Jerome
Petty Officer

Post by Jerome » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:12 am

I almost have to step down from that seat due to rolands fish has more girth. Both are 37 inches but his is a fatty. Mine came in at 19 pounds. What did yours way Roland?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:56 am

Jerome wrote:I almost have to step down from that seat due to rolands fish has more girth. Both are 37 inches but his is a fatty. Mine came in at 19 pounds. What did yours way Roland?
no, my biggest ling was actually pretty skinny, it had nothin in its gut. i never did weigh it jerome....

That's alright, we can have a tie. I just think it's fun to have a LITTLE competition, nothing to serious. Next year everyone can be gunning for the BOTH of us....:cheers:

Did you ever end up getting the yak out kayak chris??? i checked a couple of the links out, man looks like some crazy stuff!!