Hellgrammites and Scuds

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
catchmorebluegill
Petty Officer

Hellgrammites and Scuds

Post by catchmorebluegill » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:35 pm

I've only been able to search a couple creeks and lakes for them, but I have never found any hellgrammites or scuds. I have heard that both make fine fishing bait and am thinking about trying them out. If anybody knows anything about where to find these, how to catch them, and/or how to fish them, please post it here. Thank you.

lskiles
Commander

RE:Hellgrammites and Scuds

Post by lskiles » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:10 pm

That is interesting that you have not found any.
I remember as a kid in eastern Washington picking them up out of the creeks and using them for bait.
I have no useful information for you, but thanks for bringing that memory up for me...made me smile!

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:37 pm

You can make a simple trap for Hellgramites.
find a big piece of tree bark, the rougher the better.
If there is a pond or lake that has tulies or reeds near the bank, lay your trap bark side down in the vegitation.
Let it be for a couple of days before you check on it.
The little critters will crawl into the cracks in the bark.
You could also take a piece of wood and drill a bunch of holes in it.
Make them about a 1 &1/2 inches deep and a 1/4 in around.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

catchmorebluegill
Petty Officer

Post by catchmorebluegill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:58 am

Thank you for the info. I'll have to try that next time I go fishing! :thumleft:

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:00 am

As for scuds, that is interesting as well. I have not looked for them in Washington, but in other states I have found them in the coon tail weed beds found in streams and rivers, and in similar fibrous weeds in cold lakes.

I am not sure how many are in Eastern Washington, Scuds prefer slightly alkaline water so they should here. I have seen them at Sprague in past years, but when I was turning over rocks looking for crayfish.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:07 am

Hello catchmorebluegill, welcome to washingtonlakes.com.

I see you are in Deer Park.
Have you ever been over to Bailey lake?
At one time it had some pretty respecable Green Sunfish in it, was just wondering if they were still in there.
I also used to spend time at Horseshoe, can a guy still catch a stringer of catfish up there?
Attachments
IMG_0210_1.jpg
IMG_0210_1.jpg (47.71 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Good luck and be safe

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:13 am

Why not just fish these:
Attachments
Scud.jpg
Scud.jpg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
Hellgrammite.jpg
Hellgrammite.jpg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 4210 times

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:17 am

Fish for brains........... V nice scud pattern. Is the main body made of glass beads and then covered with clear strechflex? Cheers
The Chironomid Guy

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:02 am

chironomid_guy wrote:Fish for brains........... V nice scud pattern. Is the main body made of glass beads and then covered with clear strechflex? Cheers
That is not my fly but, I tie one similar. The main body is dubbed and then Olive tinsel pulled over then wrapped with mono or copper wire to give a segmented look. One of my favorite scuds is a "ray charles".

catchmorebluegill
Petty Officer

Post by catchmorebluegill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Thank you all for the information. Yellow Bear, this year I tried to go to Bailey Lake, but it turned out that the lake was private now. Somebody told me that it has been for about 10 years. :( I haven't been up to Horseshoe Lake for about 5 years, but I used to go to it all the time and plan to go up there soon. I am sorry to say that I never remember catching any catfish at Horseshoe Lake, save for one brown bullhead that was about 3 inches long from water about a foot deep. They also closed the resort on Horseshoe, but you can still enter the lake via the public launch. The lake does produce some good trout, perch, and pumpkinseeds sometimes.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:45 pm

It seems Horseshoe is one of those forgotten places.
It used to hold good numbers of big Largemouth and The Crappie fishing was out of this world.
The creek going out of the lake was always good for big Cutthroat.
To bad the resort had to close again.
Thanks for the report from up there, its been sometime since I have been in the area.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Good luck and be safe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:42 am

Something you asked bothered me just a little. I have lived in many states of in my life, and I remember finding Hellgrammmites in Southern Utah, and Eastern Colorado; but both rarely.

I have never seen a hellgrammite in Washington, Oregon, or Montana.

I found the following web site useful in making sure we were talking about the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonfly

I also found the following web site relating to a study done in Washington. It talks about only finding them (Sialis) in one of every 5 sites they tested.

http://www.xerces.org/CD-ROM%20for%20we ... nge_WA.htm

If you find hellgrammites, please take a pic for us and post it. Feel free to keep you source a secret, but I'd love to know if they are common at all in Washington.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:54 pm

Anglinarcher, I was told as a kid that what we were finding and using for bait were hellgrammmites, but they were a larva that was living in a cocoon that looked like a small tube made of little tiny rocks. about an inch long (I think) and not very big around. We found them in shallow, moving water. I feel kind of foolish now not knowing what they were and thinking this whole time they were hellgrammmites.

But still, as my first post said, it did bring back some good memories no matter what kind of bugs they were, and hellgrammmites is such a cool name. If I ever buy an arena football team that is what I will name them!

The owner of the Vancouver Hellgrammmites football team today said...

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:22 pm

lskiles wrote:Anglinarcher, I was told as a kid that what we were finding and using for bait were hellgrammmites, but they were a larva that was living in a cocoon that looked like a small tube made of little tiny rocks. about an inch long (I think) and not very big around. We found them in shallow, moving water. I feel kind of foolish now not knowing what they were and thinking this whole time they were hellgrammmites.

But still, as my first post said, it did bring back some good memories no matter what kind of bugs they were, and hellgrammmites is such a cool name. If I ever buy an arena football team that is what I will name them!

The owner of the Vancouver Hellgrammmites football team today said...
Actually what you found in the rock case were Caddis in the larva stage. I assumed the original poster was confusing hellgramites with some family of stone fly nymph, a lot of people just say hellgramite to anything that looks like a stone fly nymph.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:26 am

Ya, cased cadis is what you found lskiles , and they are great bait to use. fish4brains, I wondered about the Stone Fly thing as well, and that is why I posted the link. The Stone Fly make great bait as well.

Still, it is quite possible that helgies can be found locally. The fact that one species was found in 1 of 5 samples indicates that a source could be had, if we knew where to look.

Personally, I'm tooooooooo old and toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fat to grub for bait anymore. Besides, I like to C&R most of the time, so I'm mostly an artifical guy now. But, if something exits that I shoud be imitating, darn it, I want to know about it.:-#

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:44 pm

I usually hear stonefly larvae refered to as "helgramites" here with the older crowd of locals. The Kettle river system is full of them as well as cadis larvae. Curiously enough there is an october cadis hatch on the Kettle. The October cadis larvae usually reach about 1.5 - 2 inches in lenght in a small stone covered case (yes, they're really that big) and hatch in October (its a great late season fishery). I can dig up some photos if you like?

Cheers
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Chironomid Guy

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Is a Perrywinkle the same thing?
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:31 pm

shoot, there are hellgramites in eastern washington. joe cerna and buddy loren have been using them for years for rainbow trout. i remember walking into virgin lake (seep lakes/othello area) with them in the 80's, and, i'd have my pauztke's balls'o fire. they would pull out these things they call "hellgramites", and outfished me 2-1, and, they caught some whoppers outta warden, canal, heart to name a few. i never wanted to touch'em, so, they would never let me use them. wierd because, i would use a grasshopper, but, not one of those things they had!! and they were always nailing the bigger rainbows.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:56 am

michaelunbewust wrote:shoot, there are hellgramites in eastern washington. joe cerna and buddy loren have been using them for years for rainbow trout. i remember walking into virgin lake (seep lakes/othello area) with them in the 80's, and, i'd have my pauztke's balls'o fire. they would pull out these things they call "hellgramites", and outfished me 2-1, and, they caught some whoppers outta warden, canal, heart to name a few. i never wanted to touch'em, so, they would never let me use them. wierd because, i would use a grasshopper, but, not one of those things they had!! and they were always nailing the bigger rainbows.
Could you get Joe or Buddy to take a picture of them for us. I'd love to know what size they were, what drainage they were in, and expecially what color they are. The report did say that they found them in 1 of 5 sites they tested, just not very many. I'd love to know more.

christopherbeebe
Warrant Officer

Post by christopherbeebe » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:23 am

Hal wrote:Is a Perrywinkle the same thing?
a perrywinkle and a caddisfly are the same thing, we called them perrywinkles when i was a kid playin in the streams good memories :compress:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Hard, Or Go Home!