Fishing diary

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
GeryG
Warrant Officer

Fishing diary

Post by GeryG » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:03 pm

Any one out there keep a fishing diary?
I started doing it 3 years ago, when I hit 40:-$
Here's what I keep track of, just wondering what other
things, others keep track of?:-k
Weather, weight, speed, water temp, setups working, water clairity, moon/sun phase,
time/date, scent working, lake, fish qty, fish size, location on lake that fish are biting,
lenth of line out.
fishinwithg

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Fishing diary

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:22 pm

I just remember all that stuff....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

tahjb
Petty Officer

Post by tahjb » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:22 pm

Yea, I have a buddy that records the date, time, weather, etc... So he encouraged me to start doing that. It's a great way to track your catches year by year and monitor the fish.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:44 pm

I keep track of all that stuff as well. I kind of fell behind and havnt done it for a while. If I fo somewhere for the weekend Ill keep trackof the miles, time on the road and cost for the capsite/hotel and the resort name

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:44 pm

I do this for fly fishing but that is all. Just about everything you labeled there is what I write down in my black book when I'm on a river. I would like to for other times I'm out, but It can be time consuming.
I definitely think it is a benificial thing to do though.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:19 pm

I tried it, but when you fish 75+ days a year its pretty tough to keep up, so I kinda gave it up..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kevin07
Petty Officer

Post by kevin07 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:39 pm

When I was bass fishing a lot, I would record all of the fishing trips, it is an excellent reference when you go back to a lake. We made up pages, so all we would have to do is fill in the information, the bass club I was in would share this information. If you are fishing for fun, it takes a lot of effort to fill out and keep current, is all I would say.

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:07 pm

When I was in high school I did a fishing logbook for a semester-long art project (I'd draw the fish and lures, thus making it art). One thing I kept in the book that wasn't on GerryG's list was "seaweed abundance". The thought behind that was maybe I could look back on the log and see when certain lakes start to get choked up with weeds during the year... and what time of the year the weeds started to die off.

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:03 pm

I have kept a fishing log since 1975 of all fishing trips including skunks. Mostly it was for bass but also included other trips like salmon and steelhead. It is nice for an old guy to look back on some trip memories that I will never take again.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

needabiggerboat
Petty Officer

Post by needabiggerboat » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:14 am

:cheers: This is one of the better ideas I have heard of on this site. I would love to read past trips in later years of me and my boys fishing and just having fun on the water. I also would bet that they would treasure them when I am gone. (100+ years from now). Is there any advise on helping me remember to do it each time out.#-o
Fishing or Hunting any thing in the outdoors is what I live for.
To all, the number for poachers is on the bottom of you fishing license! Use it! They will come!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:04 am

needabiggerboat wrote::cheers: This is one of the better ideas I have heard of on this site. I would love to read past trips in later years of me and my boys fishing and just having fun on the water. I also would bet that they would treasure them when I am gone. (100+ years from now). Is there any advise on helping me remember to do it each time out.#-o
Tie a string around your finger.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:27 am

I fish for fun. That sounds like work. o:)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!