Fly Fishing And The Weather...

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
leahcim_dahc
Commander

Fly Fishing And The Weather...

Post by leahcim_dahc » Fri May 23, 2008 11:25 am

I am quite new to the fly fishing arena. Picked up a couple rods, reels and the usual accompaniment of line, leaders and assorted flies. I have been practicing my casting for a while now and have it down fairly well...with the occasional "oops!" here and there. For the most part I can consistently cast right around fifty feet...which is o.k. for now...I'll get more distance as time goes on.

I am heading out this weekend to test myself on the water. Originally, it was supposed to be warm, sunny, no wind. Perfect for me to toss around some flies. However, the weather has changed. Normally the only time I have seen fish feed off of anything on top is during calm water. With the weather coming in the water may not be nearly as calm.

Being new to the sport, I would assume the approach during different weather conditions, with regards to flies used, will vary greatly. My question is what has been your approach during rainy and windy conditions?

BTW, I'll be out on Swafford Pond in my pontoon if anyone's in the area and cares to join me. I promise I'll keep my distance and not poke you with a fly...honest. :clown:

I could use a few tips and pointers from someone with experience. Thanks!

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

RE:Fly Fishing And The Weather...

Post by fish4brains » Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 pm

I have no idea about the water you are fishing but on a windy day I fish the wind ward side of the lake. You know the side the wind blows against. The wind will push food sources into that area and also oxygenate the water. Throw leaches, clousers and other streamers, oh and buggers. Do not be afraid to cast to as little as 1' of water 'cause the chop on the water will make the fish feel safe from predators. Place your back to the wind and power your back and let the wind help propel your forward cast.

Do not let a little weather scare you.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri May 23, 2008 8:44 pm

You might try to stick with the basics and use flies that are tried and true like black ants. wooly buggers, royal coachmans, muddlers etc.... Like Fish4brains said, keep the wind to your back and cast in to shore or parallel to it when the wind blows. Try to use some sinking stuff. When you catch your first fish and you want to keep it, check the stomach. Watch the lake surface for bugs and "match the hatch"...... when you are comfortable.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 26, 2008 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri May 23, 2008 8:57 pm

leahcim_dahc wrote: My question is what has been your approach during rainy and windy conditions?
Just got back from a windy trip and hooked some nice, gerthy bows on small not to be named nymphs. When it is windy, fish rises are few and far between. Here it is best to go with an immitation pattern just below the surface. Too many people pull buggers all day (big mistake) -- when the winds calm down, switch to dries. Little nymphs will catch really large fish, you'd be quite surprised. When it's windy, I fish subsurface, when it's calm, and the fish are keying in on a hatch then I try to immitate that as much as possilbe. I'm far from being an expert, more so an intermediate at fly fishing, but I catch fish consistently without having to resort to buggers. In my experience, the smaller the nymph sometimes the larger the fish. Don't let small flies fool you, they can catch huge fish. Rather than making wind an enemy make it your friend and go with subsurface stuff like chronomids and other standard nymphs. Invest in a quality fish pump. It will make all the difference in the world. KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Fri May 23, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks for all the tips! I have a handful of olive and black colored #10 wooly buggers. I might toy with one for a bit and see how it feels to have a fish on the new rod. Not sure just yet on what I want to do. I also have an assortment of other flies, as well. Caddis's, chironomids, streamers, mayflies, parachute adams, etc., etc.. Once I really get into it, I will attempt to "match the hatch" better...but I have taken the time to pick a few brains here and there, read a bit and I think I have a decent selection to start with.

From the fish I have caught there in the past couple weeks, and from elsewhere there seems to be one critter I see in their stomachs on a regular basis. Not sure what it is...but rifled through flies at Joe's and Sportco until I found some that look pretty darned close to it. Looked to be a chironomid of some sort.

With regards to the pump...I did see one at Sportco the other day...but neglected to pick one up. Was more interested in line and leaders at the time. I'll be sure to pick one up.

When fishing subsurface, I assume you should be using a sinking line? Or do you let the fly sink with the leader? I have two spools, one filled with floating and one with a sinking tip so it won't be a problem switching out.

I went to a couple places and only found maybe two brands of leaders that were fluorocarbon, the rest were mono. Is fluorocarbon not that common in fly fishing? These leaders were fairly expensive, as well ($10 for a 9' tapered leader). My thought was to use a decent tapered leader, trim the last three feet off and tie on a section of fluorocarbon. Is there an issue doing that? Does it screw up the way the line casts? About the only issue I can see with doing that is the knot...one more place for the line to break.

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer my questions...I'm sure I'll have more as time progresses. :-)

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 24, 2008 12:02 am

leahcim_dahc wrote:
With regards to the pump...I did see one at Sportco the other day...but neglected to pick one up. Was more interested in line and leaders at the time. I'll be sure to pick one up.

When fishing subsurface, I assume you should be using a sinking line? Or do you let the fly sink with the leader? I have two spools, one filled with floating and one with a sinking tip so it won't be a problem switching out.

I went to a couple places and only found maybe two brands of leaders that were fluorocarbon, the rest were mono. Is fluorocarbon not that common in fly fishing? These leaders were fairly expensive, as well ($10 for a 9' tapered leader).
The pump is vital. It helps a lot...

I use full sinking line, intermediate sinking line, and floating line...so 3 spools. I own a simple Okuma SLV 4/5 and it can be easily put on a 3WT rod (difference between an Okuma 2/3 and Okuma 4/5 SLV is only .3 ounces)... A 3WT and 5WT are the only 2 rods you really need for around here. The fly is down about 5-8 feet with my intermediate sink tip, and 15-20 feet with my full sinking line. If you want, you can add sink tip to that to get you down even deeper -- 30-35 feet...but that's kinda crazy stuff.

I use RIO leaders. Can't beat em for the quality and price. I believe I saw them at Kaufman's today for $4.49 per leader. I use 5X exclusively. I tend to change leaders every 2 months or so...for tippet MAXIMA all the way...6 lb to 4lb to 2lb, etc. taper it down. Use long leaders for stillwater fishing -- 12-15 feet or so.

Sounds like you have an excellent start!!

KTK

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Sun May 25, 2008 10:49 am

The weather turned out GREAT! Slight breeze, no rain...until around 10:30....then it dumped like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

When I got to the lake the wind was blowing maybe 5-10 mph. Put on my spool with the sinking tip line and tossed it around. Worked fairly well. Had to really power the back casts, though. I didn't know what flies to use first, so I tried just about everything I had until I found the fly they would hit on. Had several strikes...but didn't get them hooked. Only time I managed to get fish on...was when I trolled.

Didn't catch anything by casting the fly, but did get some good practice. Found out what I could get away with and couldn't with regards to casting style, casting under overhead cover...even casting with my current 'toon configuration. I do know I need a stripping basket of some sort. Too much stuff on a 'toon to get the fly line tangled on.

Thanks for the tips, I had a great time trying out a new style of fishing.

Chad
Chad

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Sun May 25, 2008 2:35 pm

DO NOT buy a PUMP! The mortality rate when using a pump is extremely high. I have many close friends who are Fish Biologist and they state that they have witnessed under controlled environment, a kill rate of 60% of pumped fish used by a trained biologist, not just some schmuck who saw one a K-Mart and thought they were cool. Instead educate yourself on the Entomology of your local lakes and that will pay dividends plus you will not kill any fish doing so. Now if you want to keep the fish you pump, If legal in your water, no worries. Bonk,pump,stringer, keep fishing.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Sun May 25, 2008 2:48 pm

i fail to see the need for a pump if you catch a fish you obviously know what the fish are going to hit because you just caught one! i must be missing something because a pump just makes no sense to me.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Sun May 25, 2008 6:43 pm

The mortality rate when using a pump is extremely high. I have many close friends who are Fish Biologist and they state that they have witnessed under controlled environment, a kill rate of 60% of pumped fish used by a trained biologist, not just some schmuck who saw one a K-Mart and thought they were cool.
What about using a pump kills them? About the only way I could see is if someone were to squeeze the bulb while the pump is in the fish's stomach...it could expand and burst.
Instead educate yourself on the Entomology of your local lakes...
Yep...in the process now. I need to find more references on how to go about doing so. I've heard of using a fine mesh net to catch critters that might be in the water...but whether the fish are eating them or not...don't know. There are some critters the fish will eat that will not be able to be caught in the net. For example, anything hanging out at the bottom. I caught a rainbow this weekend that had tiny snails in its stomach.

Thanks for the input...

Chad
Chad

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Mon May 26, 2008 12:34 pm

I have found a great website to use for IDing bugs.... http://www.troutnut.com/ this too http://www.bugpics.com/index.php?iz=a71648ef6adb451e I found these sites and use it a lot. I bring home the bugs I caught in my little bug net and "match the hatch" This site lists Hundreds and Hundreds of flies and 3 times as many pictures. Hope you find it as enjoyable as I did. One more great site for bugs http://groups.msn.com/TheFlyFishingBug/ ... rket=en-us and everything else.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 26, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue May 27, 2008 12:10 am

fishing collector wrote:...
Thanks for the resources. They will come in quite handy!

Chad
Chad

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Tue May 27, 2008 12:23 am

fish4brains wrote:DO NOT buy a PUMP!
Keep a cookie-cutter to eat for the frying pan and pump away :cheers: Fish pumps rule! Long live the PUMPSTER :cheers:

KTK

fish4brains
Warrant Officer

Post by fish4brains » Tue May 27, 2008 7:47 am

fish4brains wrote: Now if you want to keep the fish you pump, If legal in your water, no worries. Bonk,pump,stringer, keep fishing.
Cuttthroatkiller: Next time read and quote the entire article, not just what fits your agenda. Do you work for the media?

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”