Follows----> Strikes

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
muskie guy
Petty Officer

RE:Follows----> Strikes

Post by muskie guy » Sun May 25, 2008 2:17 pm

For the past 2 years I catch 50% of my muskies in the 8. I can get nearly every fish that fallows into a figure 8 to bite by using a different style of figure 8. Instead of just making the 8 at boat side, I change depth and speed through the maneuver.
If I see a fallower I speed up and make my L turn while pushing the rod down deeper, as I make the first turn I bring the bait shallower and slow down. At this point the lure is shallow and away from the boat. I keep the bait moving, of course, and speed up as I dive the bait deep and back in twards the boat. I make the next turn away from the boat, slow down and rise up shallow again.
So in the strait aways I speed up and go deep. In the corners I slow down and go shallow. I think this gives the muskie a more recognizable representation of a fleeing fish. If you see a pike or muskie chasing down it's dinner you'll see the prey changing depth and speed as it trys to get away and grows tired.
Like I said, I've been doing it for 2 years and I think I hook 90% of the muskie that fallow into the first turn of the maneuver, it works great for me.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Sun May 25, 2008 2:18 pm

Oh and don't tell anyone! This is a double-top-secret maneuver...sshhhhhh..
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun May 25, 2008 7:04 pm

fish4brains wrote:I do not know if this will help but, when I fish for Pike and start to get alot of followers I have a second rod rigged with one of my favorite swimbaits. When the Pike follows and refuses a crank of spinner I just drop the crank rod and toss a weighted swimbait to where I last saw the Pike and let it swim its way to the bottom on a pendulum so as to feel the take, it usually never makes it to the bottom. I have missed some fish doing this to just recast and repeat to finally get a hookup. I have not fished for Musky so do not know if this will help or not. Note to self: must fish for Musky!
No,..this is very helpful. The tiger muskie is crossed with both muskie and pike. Its my opinion that what works with a northern will probably work just as/or almost as well with a tiger. They probably could have called it "Northern Tiger" "Tiger Pike""Northern Tiger Pike Toothie Thingy"I can keep going...:-$

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Sun May 25, 2008 8:15 pm

Kevinb,
What is that pic you're using for your avatar? It looks like a roll of toilet paper with an apple jolley rancher sticking out of it.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun May 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Deadeyemark wrote:Kevinb,
What is that pic you're using for your avatar? It looks like a roll of toilet paper with an apple jolley rancher sticking out of it.
LMAO =d> :thumleft:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun May 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Deadeyemark wrote:Kevinb,
Oh,that pic....thats my dog Stanley.
I couldn't find a tiger big enough:-" Just kidding... kinda looks like my mother in-law
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 25, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Another lesson I've learned the hard way.
Keep your figure 8 or o's....whichever. WIDE
I had a solid follow(this dude meant business) worked him into a figure 8,on the third turn I cut it just a little to sharp and he looked at me and gave me the FIN. Off he goes.......

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Not only can you do an 8, L, or a big loop. You can also take your bait and slap the surface of the water to get a Musky to come back. If the water is flat and the fish can see you this helps break up the clarity of the water for the fish. Slap the water and if she comes back then do whatever motion you prefer to get the Musky to strike at the bait. I did this a few times back in the homeland lakes in Wisconsin. It does work every now and then. Just another idea I just remembered from years past.
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:54 am

muskyhunter wrote:Not only can you do an 8, L, or a big loop. You can also take your bait and slap the surface of the water to get a Musky to come back. If the water is flat and the fish can see you this helps break up the clarity of the water for the fish. Slap the water and if she comes back then do whatever motion you prefer to get the Musky to strike at the bait. I did this a few times back in the homeland lakes in Wisconsin. It does work every now and then. Just another idea I just remembered from years past.
Another great tip.....When we goin fish'n?

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:29 am

I learned that lesson the hard way also kevin. The biggest musky I have seen in Silver (45ish) and he was too fat to make the smaller turns but he tried so hard and then just laughed and swam away.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:46 am

Maybe I'll try tossing a DuPont Wiggler :clown: That'll get me banned for life but they won't be swimming away.....