Small Mouth bass on the Columbia River?

Tell us about your favorite Alpine lake locations and hikes here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dillpepsi123
Petty Officer

Small Mouth bass on the Columbia River?

Post by Dillpepsi123 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:31 pm

I was wondering how to ctach small mouth bass on the columbia river with great success.
I love these fish but i need a few more tips about what works the best on this river.

thanks-

:compress:
Attachments
smallie.jpg
smallie.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 4251 times

beerman1981
Commander

RE:Small Mouth bass on the Columbia River?

Post by beerman1981 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:03 pm

If you travel just a little further and fish the Snake River (especially between Lower Monumental Dam and Ice Harbor), this section is loaded (Tri Cities Area). I've been fishing it for over ten years, and there are some nice smallies in there. I usually find a nice section of rip rap (during the spring and summer) and bounce either a jig and grub along the bottom, or a night crawler, in about twenty feet of water... That is kind of the generic technique, and usually works, but sometimes you have to play around a little bit.

I don't have much experience on the columbia, so the Snake, is the best I could do.

Welcome to the site,

Beerman
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Fri May 23, 2008 6:37 am

Hey man,

I was out at Wintler Park last week-end (see report in Columbia Basin) and the guy fishing next to me caught a nice smallmouth on a crawler, just casting out and drifting. Of course we were both catching squaws more than anything, but the bass was there.

I was told to target the bass in the Columbia you need to find big rocks and fish close in to them. Have not had any success with that myself, but that does not mean it does not work for those who know what they are doing...LOL

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Fri May 23, 2008 7:28 am

fished for walleye last week-end above mcnary trolling bottom-walkers & spinners. everytime we caught a smallmouth, we would pull back around and toss salt-n-pepper grubs. caught and released over 30 smallies in the 1-3 lb. range. UPS buddy caught a nice 4 lb.'er on a watermelon grub. the lower snake, columbia, and, the lower yakima in my experience grubs are the go-to bait. look for rip-rap, and, rocky bottoms going into a weed line. a good fishfinder/depthfinder is key on the columbia river due to its large size. good luck out there!!!!!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri May 23, 2008 7:37 am

This must be an Alpine part of the Columbia.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 23, 2008 7:48 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:This must be an Alpine part of the Columbia.
I never fish this spot....any tips?:-k :scratch:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillpepsi123
Petty Officer

Post by Dillpepsi123 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Well i heard about fishing for smallies at wintler.
I just never new they would bite on a crawler.
Well on my next trip i will definetly try it out.

- i cant wait

Oh today i saw a guy reel in a 7 foot sturgeon

-very fun to watch

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:14 pm

On the Columbia at Try Citys is a good place. When ever i go to visit my mom there, i just walk down to the park and throw a crawler behind a large pyramid wieght. The water normaly takes the wieght down river a little bit so keep your spool un clicked until it stops. Ive caught alot on night crawlers and none on artificials. This could be cause im not good at using artificials, but whatever. My spots a secret but :-$ but some good spots are the slab at columbia park, the first dock north of the blue bridge on the pasco side is a good spot too.
They taste really good out of there if you accidently kill one. I kept two last summer out of a bunch, and fried them up, but you know, practice C&R
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 23, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:24 am

Last Saturday, my oldest son and I fished at Mayer State Park about ten miles west of The Dalles. We were fishing in the little inlet areas from the shore. Using spinnerbaits and assorted crankbaits, we caught and released about 15 smallmouth bass including one around 3 pounds. Did not even try using plastics or jigs because the action was so consistent.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed May 28, 2008 8:43 am

JT26, IF YOU EVER GET THE CHANCE, FISH THAT ISLAND STRAIGHT OUT FROM COLUMBIA PARK. THE SOUTH END OF IT EMPTY'S INTO A HUGE DROP-OFF AND, SMALLIES STACK UP THERE WITH THE SQUAWFISH. I CAUGHT MY BIGGEST SMALLY EVER OVER 5 LBS. THERE. THE ISLAND STRAIGHT OUT FROM THE PARKS SERVICE SHED, ABOUT HALFWAY THRU THE PARK. ANOTHER GOOD SPOT FROM SHORE IS THE DOCKS AT CLOVER ISLAND, AND THAT DYKE WALL ACROSS FROM THOSE DOCKS. ALOT OF BASS AND PERCH HOLE UP IN THAT SPOT. I USED TO LIVE BEHIND WHAT WAS CALLED OVERTURF VOLKSWAGON, AND FISHED THAT WHOLE AREA YOU TALK ABOUT IN YOUR REPORT. BRINGS BACK SOME GOOD MEMORIES. THANKS.

Dillpepsi123
Petty Officer

Post by Dillpepsi123 » Wed May 28, 2008 1:57 pm

Thanks for the information everyone but i live all the way down by the bonneville area. Actually in Vancouver.
Does anyone know of any spots down there?

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Wed May 28, 2008 2:07 pm

I BELIEVE THAT IS WHERE CAVDAD IS POSTING FROM OR NEAR. LOOK BACK AT ALL HIS REPORTS!!

Return to “Alpine Lakes - Hikes and Destinations”