WashingtonLakes.com Trash Cleanup Planning Thread

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
HillbillyGeek
Captain

RE:WashingtonLakes.com Trash Cleanup Planning Thread

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri May 16, 2008 7:05 pm

I'd be happy to participate in Snohomish county but don't have time to organize the project. (Just started a new job on Monday.)

Maybe some of the phone calls to county govt folks could be replaced with emails. It would be cool if we could point them to an "official" event blog for more info. This thread is probably too informal. We've got to do a good job selling the project. The county officials should get a public pat on the back for helping us. Heck, we might even be able to get some free advertising via the evening news!

Windows Live allows users to create "event" pages and invite people via email. I've only played with it a little, but it seems decent -- plus it's free! :cheers:

City governments might also help with the effort by soliciting volunteers from their ranks and/or provide supplies and cover disposal fees. Ya never know... :-k

What areas are we going to clean up? Many lakes are surrounded by private property. Most people who own lakefront houses would welcome people who are making free improvements, but it would still be a good idea to get prior permission. Trash cleanup at most parks and boat launches is already being done. Should we focus on smaller, unimproved bodies of water?
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Fri May 16, 2008 7:53 pm

I'd help out around Pierce County. Hopefully I can convince the WDFW or some organization to sign off a community service form, because I need about 50 hours to graduate and have not even started on it yet. #-o

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 16, 2008 9:47 pm

Awoods wrote:I'd help out around Pierce County. Hopefully I can convince the WDFW or some organization to sign off a community service form, because I need about 50 hours to graduate and have not even started on it yet. #-o
SR. Project hours?

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Fri May 16, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm from Yakima, and am willing to travel one hundred miles or so to help out on an effort. Kittitas, klickitat, Yakima, grant counties are all within reason for me:cheers: Much respect for everyone involved in this effort. Aside from cleaning up mother nature, this will also give us some brownie points in Olympia!

Beerman
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 16, 2008 10:40 pm

How about getting our fishing clubs/groups involved? Once we have dates and locations squared away. I will put the word out at our next Muskies Inc. Meeting. Any other clubs on board?

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Sat May 17, 2008 8:43 pm

kevinb wrote:
Awoods wrote:I'd help out around Pierce County. Hopefully I can convince the WDFW or some organization to sign off a community service form, because I need about 50 hours to graduate and have not even started on it yet. #-o
SR. Project hours?
Yup that's it. I'm not sure if it's part of the SR. Project, but more of just a requirement. I actually have no clue, I do that running start program where you take classes in college, so you get college credit and high school credit at the same time. At the rate I'm going I'll have a free AA! Unless I don't get the community service hours.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat May 17, 2008 8:45 pm

My wife did the running start it is a great program:cheers: She had a good head start on her degree:cheers:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:37 am

Marc Martyn wrote:Can someone contact a few state, county and cities offices and see if any of them would be willing to cover the cost of the disposal of trash for a organized cleanup?
I'd be willing to be the point of contact for Pend Oreille Co....lots of lakes so I think I would do this as a multiple day event...with some fishing to go along with the cleaning lol. My plan would be, since I live in Spokane Co, to start at the canadian border and work my way south. Split the county into maybe 3 chunks...that is unless there was a large group cause then it would take less time at each lake. I'd survey the lakes first to find out which ones are worse off.

The US Forest Service would probably be willing to dispose of the garbage for us too.

I'd be willing to help with cleanups in theStevens, Pend Oreille, and Spokane counties. I know Marc was saying West Medical was really trashed.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 18, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue May 20, 2008 7:56 pm

I was contacted by DNR today and will be receiving an e-mail soon with their info!!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Photo bucket

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue May 20, 2008 10:10 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:I was contacted by DNR today and will be receiving an e-mail soon with their info!!
That sounds great. Let us know what they say.

It would be nice to organize a clean up on West Medical shortly after the fourth of July. I'll contact the City of Medical Lake about disposal and possibly some bags. I think that a portion of the lake is in the city limits. That lake is in dire need of a clean up

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Tue May 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:
bigbasstaz wrote:I was contacted by DNR today and will be receiving an e-mail soon with their info!!
That sounds great. Let us know what they say.

It would be nice to organize a clean up on West Medical shortly after the fourth of July. I'll contact the City of Medical Lake about disposal and possibly some bags. I think that a portion of the lake is in the city limits. That lake is in dire need of a clean up
It's sad to hear Medical is in "dire need" -- I soon will be fishing that area of water and I can't stand poachers and people who leave trash behind. With that said...I have contacted a WDFW officer and he says it's all good in Region 4 King County. I am in, and Sam is one more that would be apart of my group hitting up our King County lakes I do believe. I will depose of the trash myself...I have a large Ford truck and it's easy to do... and might even be able to get an officer to tag along and help us out...working on all the details right now. That would be 3 -- we need about 3 more people for region 4 area of Pine Lake, Beaver Lake, Alice Lake, & Rattlesnake Lake. I was thinking we could do this around late June? June 28 and/or 29th?! That gives us 1 month. We would hit up Pine and Beaver first for 1 hour at each place, then go to Alice for 30 minutes then work Rattlesnake for 2 hours and then fish and BBQ and hangout at Rattlesnake from around 3pm until 9pm (close). I'm on board in REGION 4. I need all people in Region 4 (King County proper) to please PM me and we can go from there, or respond in the thread. I'd like to have 5-7 people on my "team of cleaners & fishers." I wish I could help with Medicial & W. Medical, but I'll be over here on this side of the Mts. June 28-29th is Sat/Sun and is a great date. Let me know. I went ahead and did a clean up of the Middle Fork River last weekend and got 2 trash bags full of beer cans and other odd stuff you wouldn't write about...KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 20, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue May 20, 2008 10:43 pm

I would like to be part of that trip KTK:cheers:
Photo bucket

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Tue May 20, 2008 10:46 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:I would like to be part of that trip KTK:cheers:
I will count you in, great! :cheers: -- so far we have for REGION 4 - KING COUNTY:

::: LAKES TO BE CLEANED ARE AS FOLLOWS :::

1. Pine
2. Beaver
3. Alice
4. Rattlesnake (last lake and fun to BBQ and fish in the evenings so we'd end it here)...& carpooling is great as well.

bigbasstaz
kutthroatkilla
WDFW Officer
(maybe Sam K -- would need hear from him on these dates)

...monitor the lastest threads as conditions change. Will be updated daily per changes at users request.

Sincerely,

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed May 21, 2008 5:28 am

Unfortunately I'm working this weekend. If this is a firm date I'll post it on the front page. Ditto for the east side project. Great job guys!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Wed May 21, 2008 3:47 pm

Cool guys. Nice job pulling this together. I hope there will be a big response to your efforts.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed May 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Thurston co. is sending info :cheers:

OK Thurston co. guys we need some locations/dates :-k
Photo bucket

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed May 21, 2008 8:01 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Unfortunately I'm working this weekend. If this is a firm date I'll post it on the front page. Ditto for the east side project. Great job guys!

We need 3-4 more for Region 4 King County...anyone want to helps us 3 out?

KTK

Rthr_B_Fishn
Petty Officer

Post by Rthr_B_Fishn » Wed May 21, 2008 9:49 pm

This is something i can get in on alto my days off are limited. Im in the Pierce Co area anyone organizing in that region pm me pls.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:38 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:Unfortunately I'm working this weekend. If this is a firm date I'll post it on the front page. Ditto for the east side project. Great job guys!

We need 3-4 more for Region 4 King County...anyone want to helps us 3 out?

KTK
Count me in. My schedule will be difficult to gauge a month from now, so I'll have to figure it down the road, but count me in as of now.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed May 21, 2008 11:55 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote: Count me in. My schedule will be difficult to gauge a month from now, so I'll have to figure it down the road, but count me in as of now.
I will count you in, great! -- so far we have for REGION 4 - KING COUNTY:

::: LAKES TO BE CLEANED ARE AS FOLLOWS :::

1. Pine 1st
2. Beaver 2nd
3. Alice 3rd
4. Rattlesnake 4th & last lake and fun to BBQ and fish in the evenings so we'd end it here... carpooling is great as well.

bigbasstaz
Sam Kafelafish
kutthroatkilla
WDFW Officer

Need 2-3 more for this region...a group of 6 would be great!

...monitor the lastest threads as conditions change. Will be updated daily per changes at users request.

Mike -- this date is set June 28/29th. You can go ahead and make an announcement on the front page. We now have 4 people, the minimum to do Region 4 in the northern region would be 4...I'd like to add 2 or 3 more members to our group -- perhaps announcing this on the main page would grab some more attention!

Sincerely,
KTK

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”