SMB in Mason

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Trent Hale
Commander

SMB in Mason

Post by Trent Hale » Tue May 20, 2008 6:59 pm

:-k I'm looking for a good SMB lake in Mason Co.other than Island lake any ideas? Me and a buddy went to lost lake in Mason last year and I think we caught SMB there.Has any one else caught SMB in Lost lake just out side of Shelton?
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:SMB in Mason

Post by kevinb » Tue May 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Lake Cushman has a decent smallie population. Bucket biologists at work again.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Island is the only one that I know of. I would be interested in knowing if there are any other smallie waters in Mason County.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frefghtrgrl
Angler

Post by frefghtrgrl » Tue May 20, 2008 8:26 pm

We have smallies on our lake but it is private. I have caught a few at Howell lake up near Belfair and also in a few other ponds up and around there.
Andie

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 20, 2008 8:34 pm

Trust me...there are smallies in Cushman. I fish this lake ALL the time and know it better than most. I've caught them too. No BS

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 pm

Any with size or are we talking a bunch of dinks?

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue May 20, 2008 9:32 pm

[quote="frefghtrgrl"]We have smallies on our lake but it is private. I have caught a few at Howell lake up near Belfair and also in a few other ponds up and around there.[I have never fished at Howell pass it by I was told it only had trout but I'll give it a try thanks.I do fish lot of lakes in Tahuya but I've never caught a SMB but I wasn't fishing for them. Give me a PM on the other lakes out there that You have caught SMB.quote]
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 20, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Tue May 20, 2008 9:35 pm

kevinb wrote:Trust me...there are smallies in Cushman. I fish this lake ALL the time and know it better than most. I've caught them too. No BS
I haven't tryed Cushman, what else is in this lake?
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Trent Hale wrote:
kevinb wrote:Trust me...there are smallies in Cushman. I fish this lake ALL the time and know it better than most. I've caught them too. No BS
Loaded with kokanee(tons) cutthroat,unconfirmed but I've heard many stories of browns being pulled out.

Rumored fish. Lake trout,burbot and LMB...I don't know if this is true but I spend alot of time up here and these are stories I pick up.

Smallie size. The largest I pulled was in the 2.5-3lb mark. I wasn't able to weight it so the fish might have gotten bigger over time:-$ I have no idea about the overall population in here but my guess would be that the numbers are growing well. This lake is huge and tons of food and cover for them. I personally think in the next 5 years or so,Lake Cushman may easily become the smallie hot spot for the Olympic Peninsula. I guess we'll have to see.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue May 20, 2008 10:09 pm

kevinb wrote:
Trent Hale wrote:
Loaded with kokanee(tons) cutthroat,unconfirmed but I've heard many stories of browns being pulled out.

Rumored fish. Lake trout,burbot and LMB...I don't know if this is true but I spend alot of time up here and these are stories I pick up.

Smallie size. The largest I pulled was in the 2.5-3lb mark. I wasn't able to weight it so the fish might have gotten bigger over time:-$ I have no idea about the overall population in here but my guess would be that the numbers are growing well. This lake is huge and tons of food and cover for them. I personally think in the next 5 years or so,Lake Cushman may easily become the smallie hot spot for the Olympic Peninsula. I guess we'll have to see.
It also has Kings!! I have caught the biggest cutthroat of my life out of there:cheers:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Wed May 21, 2008 5:59 am

Smallies in Howell? That's good news. I've fished a few times but caught nothing but trout and bluegill. Lots of bluegill. It is now on my hit list. Never heard of smallies in Cushman either - more good news. I have however found some excellent largemouth fishing in Cushman but only in one secret area. I have also fished Island in Mason County many times and never hooked a smallie but caught lots of LMBs.
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

frefghtrgrl
Angler

Post by frefghtrgrl » Wed May 21, 2008 7:42 am

I caught a couple last year at the end near the beaver pond. There is a lot of trout in there, but one day for kicks I decided to row the boat over there and caught a couple. My uncle lives on Maggie and told me that a few of his friends have also caught them. No real size so I was thinking that someone introduced them there other then the state. LOL. Good luck.
Andie

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 21, 2008 7:46 am

Bob Johansen wrote:Smallies in Howell? That's good news. I've fished a few times but caught nothing but trout and bluegill. Lots of bluegill. It is now on my hit list. Never heard of smallies in Cushman either - more good news. I have however found some excellent largemouth fishing in Cushman but only in one secret area. I have also fished Island in Mason County many times and never hooked a smallie but caught lots of LMBs.
So I can pull LMB'S off the rumor list.:cheers:

bob johansen
Commander

Post by bob johansen » Fri May 23, 2008 6:10 am

kevinb wrote:
Bob Johansen wrote:Smallies in Howell? That's good news. I've fished a few times but caught nothing but trout and bluegill. Lots of bluegill. It is now on my hit list. Never heard of smallies in Cushman either - more good news. I have however found some excellent largemouth fishing in Cushman but only in one secret area. I have also fished Island in Mason County many times and never hooked a smallie but caught lots of LMBs.
So I can pull LMB'S off the rumor list.:cheers:
It's no rumor - My son and I have caught several largemouth bass in Cushman that ranged up to about 4 pounds.:cheers:
A nice bass is too valuable a resource to enjoy catching only once.

Fishing adds years to your life and life to your years - Homer Circle

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Fri May 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Can you have (but not use) a gas motor on island lake?