favorite trolling lures

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
northfork
Lieutenant

RE:favorite trolling lures

Post by northfork » Sun May 18, 2008 7:01 pm

My father called this morning and said" Rufus is on Hawg Quest" So I turned it on expexting to see some big fish caught.
Not very impressed. We have done better from shore, size wise than they did on the boat.
I was paying particular attention to the lures that were IN the fishes mouth when they released them.
1/3 of the fish caught were on rainbow roostertails.
The promise keepers had been added to by the guide. He had tied in some colored flash down on the hook shank that ruffly matched the lure color.
The biggest problem with Rufus ( gotta like these problems ) is getting past the smaller 3-4-5-6# fish to finally hook into something big.
That segment was filmed down towards Bridgeport/ Chief Joseph Dam.
I need a 3 day vacation to fish before it gets to hot over there. OOPS to late.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue May 20, 2008 8:34 am

bigbasstaz wrote:
fishing collector wrote:I was watching a fishing show on FSN this morning and they were at Rufus Woods. It was winter time. They were using some new lures from Mack's called "Promise Keepers" the color was Black/Blue with a Black bucktail with some shiney threads in it. After watching them catch and release 10 Trips and keep some in the 8lb range, I think I will add these to my box. I ended up ordering them direct from Mack's in Wenachee because I could not find them local. Another lure they used was called a Hum Bait, Quiver Spoon. Mack's is the same company that makes "Wedding Rings". The guys fishing said that these lures would not be sent to retail outlets until April/May. If anyone has seen these post a blip. I couldn't find them after calling some stores around Edmonds. Yep! This lure is a definite keeper!!
I have used those promise keepers they aren't that new they catch big fish:cheers: I believe at the Offut lakes Opener third place was caught on one:-$

I have used those on one poll and my friend out fished me all the time with one of my special wedding rings#-o
The guy that was using the promise keeper was from Mack's.
Bigbasstaz can you show what your "special" Wedding Ring looks like?. There is a bead shop by Green lake in Seattle that carries a bunch of different beads that I try. I like to put a streamer or bugger on the end of a Wedding ring...Seems to work a little better. Sometimes I use a trailer if I am getting a lot of strkes and no fish. I would like to try yours.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Tue May 20, 2008 10:25 am

fishing collector wrote:...Bigbasstaz can you show what your "special" Wedding Ring looks like?. There is a bead shop by Green lake in Seattle that carries a bunch of different beads that I try. I like to put a streamer or bugger on the end of a Wedding ring...Seems to work a little better. Sometimes I use a trailer if I am getting a lot of strkes and no fish. I would like to try yours.
Also go to Michaels or JoAnne Fabrics and you can get lots of different colors and style of beads, to last you a lifetime. They have a style (faceted glass) bead with an aurelia borealis (AB) finish that gives the bead a holographic disco ball look.

The "wedding ring" piece is called a rondelle bead. Kinda pricey at craft stores (about 70-90 cents each). But if you look at ebay, there are some sellers out of China that sell them in bulk for about 10 cents each.

FISHKILLER
Petty Officer

Post by FISHKILLER » Tue May 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Wedding Rings

ReelFisher
Petty Officer

Post by ReelFisher » Tue May 20, 2008 2:38 pm

For Trout the best I've had is a silver or copper color spinner/spoon on a pink or green mepps. A small hook of course maybe a size 8 to 10. Sometimes wrapping some power bait around the hooks is the way to go when their not hitting the lure by itself. Useing that rig I have pulled a lot of trout out of American. I still haven't gotten around to the wedding ring yet. I have two but they look complicated to me for some reason. I read about everyone useing them but when I bought them they came with all the string and I guess I just haven't really needed to resort to them just yet. Maybe I'll give them a shot next time?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Tue May 20, 2008 2:41 pm

one of my favorite lures to troll is a rainbow needle fish on my sinking line on my fly rod! It works great for rainbows!!!
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 am

:-k I have found that over the years that I tend to use the same lures as a go to and then try others as I hear of the ones that are catching the big ones at the particular lake I am fishing at. Wedding rings tipped with a maggot or piece of worm. The rings that are red or green seem to always work. I modify mine and use black beads and the same jewel ring. and a # 8 hook. I sometimes tip mine with a special little sponge I soak in berkley trout attractant. I get the sponge from my wife's make-up drawer. The sponge comes on a little stick and is used to put on eye makeup. I soak it then put then tip the Wedding ring with it. Not the stick! just the sponge. It is about 1/4 in square and 1/8 thick. It works very well when I bottom fish off the bank. I use it as a substitute for marshmallows. It floats! I also like a little spoon like a Dick Nite or Triple Teezer either 50/50 or white orange or what ever I grab out of the box. I like Colorado and Indiana spinners and some little lure behind it. I probably have 200 lures in the box and they all have been used over the years and as I think about it They all have caught fish at one time or another. My biggest change has been going to mostly ultralight rods instead of a little Zebco. You know I still have it !..I am always reading the forum and enjoy reading about what everyone is using. My last purchase was some pink and white power bait and a Z-Ray. Next time I have a Jointed rapala J-5 or J-7 in a brown color on the list. I am getting some new line for a couple of reels. Probably some trilene xt. Does it ever end? I will probably go back to my bobber and fly in a band-aid box. It worked in 1955 and works just fine now. Hope everyone gets some bigun's this summer and takes a kid fishin'.:fish:

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

PokerAddict
Petty Officer

Post by PokerAddict » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:14 pm

red wedding right with a nice long nightcrawler on it. garrenteed bite :D
also a red and silver rooooooster tail :thumleft:

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:40 pm

what do people think about worm on rooster tails good or does it mess up the action?
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 pm

travislikesfishing wrote:what do people think about worm on rooster tails good or does it mess up the action?
Just a piece of worm about an inch or less works for me. Same with a maggot. The Roostertail still works fine.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:28 pm

travislikesfishing wrote:what do people think about worm on rooster tails good or does it mess up the action?
If you tip a worm on a spinner you aren't going to ruin the action. You can't. Unless you tip the spinner somehow:bball:

Spoons can often have their action imparted by a chunk of worm. I use a thick scent with spoons, and worms with plugs and spinners....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:48 am

OK bigbasstaz.........Its time to fess up, You mentioned it a few times now.....What is your "SPECIAL" wedding rings????
Where ever I go........There I am!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:30 pm

OK I know this is old but I saw that I missed a few questions #-o

My special wedding rings are just frankenstiens I take all the wedding rings I get apart (except double whammies I leave those as they are)and put them on a 6 lb leader with my own snell hooks. I find bits and pieces to add like a corky or a bigger blade extra beads and diamonds I just have fun making different lures but they all have green in them :cheers:

BBT
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:40 pm

For Cutts to 10lbs and up I love the Krock spoons with pink Gamas or red they cannot say no!
The fish tell the story and whats effective not the words:chef: :cheers: Batters up to give what works reflects the outcome not the print =:chef: :bounce: that is easy like popping pop corn! LOL
My best cutt is 14 lbs mounted on this method:chef: with scent were it is open on the Rainbow side of the spoon.

Zero weight on the meduim and large sizes on these spoons need they run deep but before you put them out make sure the action boat side about 3 feet deep and trolling speed is correct the rod tip if there working correctly will have some action if you stick a weed and the rod tip will stop so clear them if the natural action stops:-$
Just the spoon the fish and the angler:eye:
Attachments
Lenore_hen3.jpg
Lenore_hen3.jpg (87.77 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
lenorepighhen.jpg
lenorepighhen.jpg (87.89 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
Gear_and_Fish_Stuff_War_Machine-016.jpg
Gear_and_Fish_Stuff_War_Machine-016.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 1789 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:32 pm

Flat Fish
Wedding Ring
Rooster Tail
Triple Teazer
Hyland Fling (no longer made) if anyone knows where I can find them please let me know.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Big D

Post by Big D » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:43 pm

I did really good trolling these two inch woolly bugger flies behind wiggle fin on the surface at Rufus Woods last fall.
I sent a couple of them to my in laws in North Idaho that reported fast limits on several North Idaho lakes. I'll probably start with them again in the spring.
Attachments
Flies.jpg
Flies.jpg (173.64 KiB) Viewed 1766 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:03 pm

Big D wrote:I did really good trolling these two inch woolly bugger flies behind wiggle fin on the surface at Rufus Woods last fall.
I sent a couple of them to my in laws in North Idaho that reported fast limits on several North Idaho lakes. I'll probably start with them again in the spring.
:-$ That is my favorite fly for these Wyomong waters:-" They are made at this really nice fly store and the trout of all species love them!!!:cheers:

BBT
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Flatfish

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:02 pm

This is a great lure ...something like a wooly bugger. It is called a Grey Killer or Grey Fred. Can be made in various colors... My 2 Cents, Steve :-) ..... If you want to make it, try here... http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns/frede/
Attachments
Grey_killer_better_than_a_wooly_bugger.jpg
Grey_killer_better_than_a_wooly_bugger.jpg (80.38 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:41 pm

if it's opening day for stockers I use a coathanger tied to a shoestring. they'll eat anything. as the season rolls on i'll use glass beads from michaels along with the tail end of a wedding ring + band. The extra weight of the glass helps keep the lure lower in the water and makes a little noise clacking together. If I'm on the hunt for a meal, I'll make a powerbait tail on the hook, if I'm doing C&R i'll just scent the heck out of it. Oh and I bought a lure that has some chip in it to make fish strike, didn't seem to do anything. Now it sits in the box waiting for opening day, when my coathanger breaks.
I won't kill anything less than a meal