LINGCOD Thread - 2008 Season Only

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE: LINGCOD Thread - 2008 Season Only

Post by A9 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:38 pm

big fish lite line wrote:I went out today and caught a 25in 10lb cabazon in 13 feet of water unbelievable!
I was using a fenwick rod with 10lb test and jigging a 1ounce jig with a white tube on it.
man it took me a while to play him
Cabezon will come up shallow like that. I've caught many within 10-15 feet of water, off of piers. Often times, when the tide is out, you can spot em out...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon May 19, 2008 6:58 pm

well fellow WL.com'ers, the next season opener is almost among us, yep, that's right....spearfishing. specifically the lingcod spearfishing opener on wednesday. First off, no i'm not crazy enough to dive down 40-60 feet in 52* water with the currents flowing only to come face to face to a hungry 40" ling in near darkness. nope, not for me. anyone out there ever try spearfishing?? one of my buddies swears he going out this season. he has actually dived a bit, so i think he might. now where to get a spear gun...:pirat:

anybody been out lately for lings?? i went thursday...no lings. tried friday but got blown off the water as soon as i hit rosario strait. now i'll be in MN hitting the walleyes for a week, then only three weeks left.....man the season flies by.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:well fellow WL.com'ers, the next season opener is almost among us, yep, that's right....spearfishing. specifically the lingcod spearfishing opener on wednesday. First off, no i'm not crazy enough to dive down 40-60 feet in 52* water with the currents flowing only to come face to face to a hungry 40" ling in near darkness. nope, not for me. anyone out there ever try spearfishing?? one of my buddies swears he going out this season. he has actually dived a bit, so i think he might. now where to get a spear gun...:pirat:

anybody been out lately for lings?? i went thursday...no lings. tried friday but got blown off the water as soon as i hit rosario strait. now i'll be in MN hitting the walleyes for a week, then only three weeks left.....man the season flies by.
I'm returning to WA next weekend for Memorial Day weekend and am planning on going out to Area 9 at least once...Hoping I can find some decent weather and some fish.....We'll see...

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon May 19, 2008 8:42 pm

best of luck sam k., it sounds like it will be your first try of the season, always exciting. i'm sure the weather will be just fine. what lure will be tied to your line on the first cast???

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:best of luck sam k., it sounds like it will be your first try of the season, always exciting. i'm sure the weather will be just fine. what lure will be tied to your line on the first cast???
First outing for lings yes. I've managed to get out fishing a few times while at home on several breaks since school has started...I'll probably be going with a 3 oz. jig head with a B-2 squid attached. Motor oil color. Might jig some Pt. Wilson Darts too....We'll see.

I think finding lings is a bigger issue then perfecting your bait. I know people say they switched up and right away hooked up. Lings (or any bottomfish for that matter) seem to be very fiesty and I find that working to find the fish is a bigger issue then what bait you use. They'll hit it if it's there for them...That's just my experience/thought though. For all types of fishing too. I find that finding them and giving them the right presentation is a bigger issue, not finding the perfect bait out there....

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 am

koryrasmussen55 wrote:thanks does anyone know whats the biggest ling caught this year?
From our local water the current leader for the "King Ling" title is Rollin with Rolland.

Rolland properly used the tides to snatched a 37 incher out of area 7.

The season is open until June 15th.

Time to get off the common spots. Watch the sonar and find the rocks in the areas not common fished.

However, since I am still gunning for that big 40", I don't mind if if you all just bow down and quit.......or....err...focus on Salmon....yeah that it.

The Floater
Petty Officer

Post by The Floater » Tue May 20, 2008 2:23 pm

I know its not the best place for Lingers, but has anyone put any effort on the southern tip of Hat in 8-2? Im gonna do a run by first thing saturday morning. SAM -K - you heard much about this area? Im from the Island too but over in 8-2 - Im probably gonna trailor the boat up on Sunday and do 9.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 20, 2008 5:05 pm

The Floater wrote:I know its not the best place for Lingers, but has anyone put any effort on the southern tip of Hat in 8-2? Im gonna do a run by first thing saturday morning. SAM -K - you heard much about this area? Im from the Island too but over in 8-2 - Im probably gonna trailor the boat up on Sunday and do 9.
Yea the south end of Hat Island is popular. I believe there is a reef there and it is a productive spot. I know a lot of the guides will try both Possession and Hat Island in a day usually...

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Fri May 23, 2008 10:35 pm

My avatar is me holding some ling caught in Canadian waters. I'll look for the bigger pictures to include.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 24, 2008 12:06 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
I know a lot of the guides will try both Possession and Hat Island in a day usually...
Good luck getting a linger off that darn bar. Possession holds a rogue linger, but man it's slow going. Be prepared for 5 hours of fishing without a strike, even relocating, etc. Best of luck if you do try. I'll take the lingers up to ocean or up past Cambell River, B.C. The stocks down here are too thin to begin with to really even talk about, let alone allow a fishery anymore. Kinda sad...KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:22 am

kutthroatkilla wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:
I know a lot of the guides will try both Possession and Hat Island in a day usually...
Good luck getting a linger off that darn bar. Possession holds a rogue linger, but man it's slow going. Be prepared for 5 hours of fishing without a strike, even relocating, etc. Best of luck if you do try. I'll take the lingers up to ocean or up past Cambell River, B.C. The stocks down here are too thin to begin with to really even talk about, let alone allow a fishery anymore. Kinda sad...KTK
Not headed to the bar. I don't do well of that bar. There are enough spots around it that will keep me busy...

I think I can find a ling/cabbie/rockcod at some point...

I know you don't love fishing in the Puget Sound, but it's home field for me and I only get outta state to fish in the salt about every other year...It ain't easy here, but it's much more rewarding...

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sat May 24, 2008 12:32 am

Amen to that sam i mean it was very rewarding catching a 30+ pound king out of elliot bay last year

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 24, 2008 12:38 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Not headed to the bar. I don't do well of that bar.

I know you don't love fishing in the Puget Sound, but it's home field for me.
Well to each their own :cheers: You gotta embrace what you got!

That bar has never been kind to me. Fish the dam sunken ferry for 4 hours and had nothing to show for it...

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 24, 2008 12:39 am

fishingmachine wrote:Amen to that sam i mean it was very rewarding catching a 30+ pound king out of elliot bay last year
Throw that picture up here...love to see it, keep hearing about it, never seeing it...I know you took some pics of that fish:-"
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 24, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sat May 24, 2008 12:42 am

Actually no pics due to it was a wild fish we wanted to release it as quick as possible otherwise the pics would be on here

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:49 am

kutthroatkilla wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Not headed to the bar. I don't do well of that bar.

I know you don't love fishing in the Puget Sound, but it's home field for me.
Well to each their own :cheers: You gotta embrace what you got!

That bar has never been kind to me. Fish the dam sunken ferry for 4 hours and had nothing to show for it...

Hint Hint, go North to Double Bluff or fish on the south end of Whidbey Island. Possession gets picked through pretty quickly, but surrounding areas that aren't super well known don't get the pressure and will still hold fish...we'll see what happens. Batteries for the camera are all charged up, hope something just finds my jig....But before that, running around to a few bass fishing lakes...I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow...

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Sun May 25, 2008 2:24 pm

My dad took me out ling fishing twice this weekend on the first day I caught a 31in ling at around 150ft on a 6 ounce redhead jig with a black rubber tail. the weird thing was the ling puked up a flounder and a bullhead each of them were about 8in long, we also caught a few nice rockfish. today we fished the exact same spot and my dad caught a 30in ling on a six ounce jig with a silvery rubber tail. we stopped by pea pod and we talked to a guy who got a ling that was about 30lb! to be honest with you it looked over 40in.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:10 pm

ok WL.com salty dogs....lets finish up this ling season with a bang!! now, i know that there are precisely 12 of us who regularly post in saltwater, but that doesn't mean all you lurkers can't put in .02 now and then....i mean come on...6 days left then we have to wait until 2009 season (unless your name is KTK, then you got BC to look forward to:thumright ) let's hear it!!

with that said, i know the tides have been a little rough, the weather a little cold, and the wind horrific, but the next five days look much more promising. lots of slack tide, calm wind and maybe even a little sunshine to boot should convince some more of us to get out for those elusive lings. plus, we can't have the biggest ling on the board caught on opener, that would just be a shame. i'm gonna get out every day possible, hopefully thur. through sunday, weather permitting. (i think i hear an open seat coming...) I'm bringing a buddy out thursday, but if you want to discuss a little ling for the last weekend, PM me. As a last ditch effort to get some good pics up here, i'll throw out some of my spots i have caught/seen decent fish. i do understand most anglers here won't be in area 7, but that's all i got..

near shore whatcom/skagit county; usually hit theses on the way out/in...not the most productive but do hold fish occasionally...

better spot...

and of course......the farther you go.....the better it gets.

i've had a decent season so far, but it could always be better...hopefully we all get some nice fish these last days...
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:17 pm

i'm still learning the image size thing....working on it though..:cheers: alright...much better
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 pm

I'll be looking to get out this weekend...Sat/Sun before it closes...*HOPEFULLY!
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.