FORCE FINS?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kutthroatkilla
Commander

FORCE FINS?

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sun May 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Looking at some new fins for the new toon. Anyone have any experience with FORCE FINS? Are they worth the $$$$? I've heard they sure make kicking around a whole lot easier, yet some people say that diving fins are better and you use less energy...I'm most concerned about energy consumption with the good old legs...although I'm young :-" ...thoughts/opinions?

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:FORCE FINS?

Post by Lotech Joe » Mon May 19, 2008 3:21 am

I've heard nothing but good things about force fins. Well, maybe one bad thing; the price. $150 in my book is unreasonable. I was recently told by a fellow that uses them, that they won't push you any faster but it takes a whole lot less effort. I also like the fact that you can walk forward while wearing them.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:50 am

KTK - Wish I had some experience with them. However, I'm like Joe and wouldn't part with that much money for a pair of fins unless they came with propellers! Personally, I'd buy two pairs of $35-40 regular kickers instead....at some point in time we all are gonna lose one or both. Having a pair sitting around, ready to go, is always a good thing.

You're young, too, according to your post and shouldn't have a problem with energy exertion, even if all you do is kick fin around all day.

Good luck! Hopefully someone can offer you better insight as to whether or not they are really worth the price.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon May 19, 2008 3:08 pm

[quote="Lotech Joe"]I've heard nothing but good things about force fins. Well, maybe one bad thing]

I won't pretend that I have tried any of the "new" fin designs, but 20+ years ago I tried every brand and style that I could get a hold of. After a couple of dozen trials, I determined that indeed force fins were the best way to go.

I have had force fins now ever since about 1985 and they have several hundred hours on them. They are still working as good as when new, the rubber is fresh and strong, and when you take $150 and split it into 23 years, they seem pretty cheap to me.

And yes, they are the only ones that you can walk forward in, if you are careful.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Rooscooter
Warrant Officer

Post by Rooscooter » Mon May 19, 2008 6:20 pm

I use dive fins. I have pursued SCUBA for over 25 years and have always had quality dive equipment. A few years ago I tired the "over the stream shoe" style of fins with my float tube. There was no comparison to using my dive fins. The larger surface creates much more thrust. A good set of dive fins is just stiff enough to allow for maximum thrust with limited effort as well. Most of the over the shoe designs I have seen are very stiff and don't seem to create much "traction"

There is only one minor issue; getting in and out of the water is more difficult with 26" fins on!!

Just my 2 cents.

Tight Lines!

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Mon May 19, 2008 8:18 pm

All quality replies. Thanks fellas and I'll put that info to good use...maybe SCUBA fins...cheaper and they do very well. Thanks again. KTK

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed May 21, 2008 7:22 am

Over the years I've wasted a few hundred dollars on cheap fins, both fishing and dive. I've been using the adjustable Force fins for the past few years with great results. Just a reminder to all fin users. Make sure that you have a safety cord from the fin to your ankle. A fin falling off in the middle of the lake makes for a long trip back to shore. Plus quality fins aren't cheap!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 21, 2008 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's short - fish hard!

Leroy
Angler

Post by Leroy » Tue May 27, 2008 10:07 am

Force fins make all the difference. I bought a pair after realizing what a huge advantage they gave my fishing buddy. He was always waiting for me to catch up. Force fins are probably 40 percent faster than standard tube fins.
Please release them to catch again!

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 31, 2008 11:49 pm

Leroy wrote:Force fins make all the difference. I bought a pair after realizing what a huge advantage they gave my fishing buddy. He was always waiting for me to catch up. Force fins are probably 40 percent faster than standard tube fins.
Thaaaaaaaaaaank you sir. This will make quite the difference. Fat Cat 4 baby! Only like $149.99!! I like the ODC 420 and the FC4 Deluxe, but price is an issue as well!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 31, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”