Pike info and pics

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
muskie guy
Petty Officer

RE:Pike info and pics

Post by muskie guy » Tue May 13, 2008 6:10 pm

Thats a great report and NICE water wolf!! I think it's safe to point out that people can consider selective harvest of the smaller pike in the Pend Orielle. I know it's not something we discuss often, but we're not talking about the sterile Tiger Muskie here. It's a good call to occasionaly keep a smaller fish to improve the quality of the fishing in this particular system. The last 5 years of Kalispel tribal data shows a large, self-sustaining population with an average weight over 11 pounds. Last years survey found that captured fish have gained as much as 5 pounds over the past year. One fish in the survey grew 10 inches and gained nearly 10 pounds since last year! These numbers indicate a solid forage base.
I enthusiastically support catch and release of every species. We all love the bass fishing too. And a LOT more people fish for bass here than pike. The only reason I mention it is to help keep the population in check so the local bass fishery doesn't decline. If that happens there could be some resentment aimed at the local toothy predator. And that might result in damage to trophy fish populations in the area. Not many places offer pike over 25 pounds and its sensible to take care of them.
Release the pike over about 10 pounds for sure. They are mature, reproducing females and great sized males. Females of course are the trophy fish. The males are always smaller and become sexually mature after 3-4 years, typically around 30 inches long. Studies show that the male/female population ratio for pike larger than 32" is 30/70. And it widens considerably for every additional inch in length gained. So put the large fish back to keep the trophy potential high.
I'll have to take you up on that offer to split the gas cost too, that's a damn good deal any time there are toothy critters involved. Lord knows I ain't happy about the price of go-juice either. And Phil is right on, firetiger is a sweeeeeeet pike/muskie color.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 14, 2008 8:39 am

muskie guy wrote:Thats a great report and NICE water wolf!! I think it's safe to point out that people can consider selective harvest of the smaller pike in the Pend Orielle. I know it's not something we discuss often, but we're not talking about the sterile Tiger Muskie here. It's a good call to occasionaly keep a smaller fish to improve the quality of the fishing in this particular system. The last 5 years of Kalispel tribal data shows a large, self-sustaining population with an average weight over 11 pounds. Last years survey found that captured fish have gained as much as 5 pounds over the past year. One fish in the survey grew 10 inches and gained nearly 10 pounds since last year! These numbers indicate a solid forage base.
I enthusiastically support catch and release of every species. We all love the bass fishing too. And a LOT more people fish for bass here than pike. The only reason I mention it is to help keep the population in check so the local bass fishery doesn't decline. If that happens there could be some resentment aimed at the local toothy predator. And that might result in damage to trophy fish populations in the area. Not many places offer pike over 25 pounds and its sensible to take care of them.
Release the pike over about 10 pounds for sure. They are mature, reproducing females and great sized males. Females of course are the trophy fish. The males are always smaller and become sexually mature after 3-4 years, typically around 30 inches long. Studies show that the male/female population ratio for pike larger than 32" is 30/70. And it widens considerably for every additional inch in length gained. So put the large fish back to keep the trophy potential high.
I'll have to take you up on that offer to split the gas cost too, that's a damn good deal any time there are toothy critters involved. Lord knows I ain't happy about the price of go-juice either. And Phil is right on, firetiger is a sweeeeeeet pike/muskie color.
Great info,...at this rate we might have to rent an RV and get over there

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Wed May 14, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks Muskie Guy! I totally agree with catch and release on bigger fish. I didn't have a choice on that pike. My lure tore the gills up pretty bad, it was deep. When I got it in the boat it was bleeding all over. I actually had to remove the lure later going through the outside of the gills. So I wasn't going to throw back a fish that might not have survived. It really made me think though, what if that had been a tiger muskie? In a case like that where the lure is to deep to get my pliers in there and definately not hook cutters, the fish is bleeding pretty good because of a few trebles in the gills, what should I do? I did not think of this problem before because I had always caught them in the mouth. With a suspending jerk bait, they can damn near totally swallow it when it is paused (like the pike did). Any suggestions? I would rather figure this out now than when I have a muskie laying in my boat in this condition.

phil cogley
Petty Officer

Post by phil cogley » Wed May 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Keith, that is a real probablity with the tigers, a few years ago I had a tiger engulf my spoon and it was bleeding all over. The only thing you can do is pull the hooks out and throw her back in. We all take good measures to ensure it doesnt happen, but it does and it will. FEAR NO FISH!!!

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 pm

You know that happened to me years ago one extremely hot August day on Idaho's Hauser Lake. A giant tiger Muskie swallowed a white spinnerbait and it tore-up it's gills too. I tried to revive it 3 times, it swam off on the first 2 attempts and floated up after a few minutes. I would wade out into the water and recapture the fish and try again. The third try was futile and I wound up with a 51", 36 pounder. Biggest one I've ever caught, or seen since I think. Now we have to put them back if they are injured and under 50 inches. I guess we can just do the best we can in speeding up our releases on badly hooked fish. But I'll bet money everyone here is all ready doing that. I've always tried to release fish very near where I caught them. Not over deep water, I move into the shallows unless it's summer. And in the hot months I point them down at a good angle and give them a good shove so they don't have too work hard to get into cooler water below. Phil said it though, it's gonna happen no matter.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu May 15, 2008 9:36 am

I hate the idea of putting a dead fish in the water! Last year at Newman I caught one just under 40 inches. It put up the most exciting fight I have had yet with a muskie. It came out of the water a few times, completely out of the water doing cartwheels! By the time I got it to the boat it was absolutely spent, drifted into the net and then proceeded to give every last effort to fight me in the boat. When I got it back into the water it wouldn't move. I moved it back and forth in the water for about 5 minutes with no response from the fish. THe only thing that let me know he was still alive were his two little fins behind the gills were kicking and that was it. I tried giving it a push off and still nothing. This effort continued for about 15 minutes. Finally I gave it another push and it gave one slight twitch of its tail, just enough to cause it to drift into the lillies where it wedged in between two of the stalks and just sat there. After about a half hour the fish swam off on its own and dissappeared. I was definately worried for a while!

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Thu May 15, 2008 10:22 am

When I was with Chad Cain I asked him what the longest amount of time he ever spent reviving a muskie was. It was over 40 minutes. It was pretty hot on the surface, so eventually he got in the water and dove down eight feet or so with the fish where there was more oxygen. That was all it took, after a minute or so the fish swam off and he got to go back up and catch his breath ;)

I doubt I'll ever do that...not so great a swimmer!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 15, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu May 15, 2008 11:21 am

PDXFisher wrote:When I was with Chad Cain I asked him what the longest amount of time he ever spent reviving a muskie was. It was over 40 minutes. It was pretty hot on the surface, so eventually he got in the water and dove down eight feet or so with the fish where there was more oxygen.
I don't have a story to share (but I have had similar experiences where sadly I was required by regs to release a likely mortally wounded fish), but I did want to share that I'm proud to call you all my fishing peers when I hear stories like yours. For all the garbage I collected on the ice this winter, for all the potty-mouths I hear at the launch with my kids, for all disgusting things I see happening to our open waters and lands, it's refreshing to see there are good people out there too.

And a big thanks to Mike & Aaron for providing a place for us all to hang out.

You guys rock! :salut:
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu May 15, 2008 1:28 pm

TroutCowboy wrote:
PDXFisher wrote:When I was with Chad Cain I asked him what the longest amount of time he ever spent reviving a muskie was. It was over 40 minutes. It was pretty hot on the surface, so eventually he got in the water and dove down eight feet or so with the fish where there was more oxygen.
I don't have a story to share (but I have had similar experiences where sadly I was required by regs to release a likely mortally wounded fish), but I did want to share that I'm proud to call you all my fishing peers when I hear stories like yours. For all the garbage I collected on the ice this winter, for all the potty-mouths I hear at the launch with my kids, for all disgusting things I see happening to our open waters and lands, it's refreshing to see there are good people out there too.

And a big thanks to Mike & Aaron for providing a place for us all to hang out.

You guys rock! :salut:
Well put brother:salut:
We'll have to meet up one of these days at CD'A for some pike....or anywhere and any fish for that matter.:cheers:

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu May 15, 2008 1:48 pm

kevinb wrote:
We'll have to meet up one of these days at CD'A for some pike....or anywhere and any fish for that matter.:cheers:
PM me the next time you are over here and I'll do my best to hook up for some fishing.

I'm headed out to the pike/muskie waters of Newman Lake tonight under the guise of "well, honey, better that I go test out the new motor by myself so in case there are any problems we don't have some bummed out kids on board."

I'll let all you muskie-addicts know how it went.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu May 15, 2008 6:25 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:Thanks Muskie Guy! I totally agree with catch and release on bigger fish. I didn't have a choice on that pike. My lure tore the gills up pretty bad, it was deep. When I got it in the boat it was bleeding all over. I actually had to remove the lure later going through the outside of the gills. So I wasn't going to throw back a fish that might not have survived. It really made me think though, what if that had been a tiger muskie? In a case like that where the lure is to deep to get my pliers in there and definately not hook cutters, the fish is bleeding pretty good because of a few trebles in the gills, what should I do? I did not think of this problem before because I had always caught them in the mouth. With a suspending jerk bait, they can damn near totally swallow it when it is paused (like the pike did). Any suggestions? I would rather figure this out now than when I have a muskie laying in my boat in this condition.
Hey Gone Fishin,
I think I have seen you out fishing a time our two on Silver. I wanted to comment on what happened to you. I had a Tiger do a simular thing out on Silver one time. It was a 36 inch fish. After I revived and released the fish it just sat there upright and moved its tail but did not swim off. I was worried that it would die or get hit by another boat. After about 30 min or so it swam away. I decided to do some research to see if I was releasing them wrong and possibly hurting the fish. After doing some reseach, talking with the local biologists and a few Musky giudes that I have used in Wisconsin this is what I learned: Most of the time a Musky or Pike will use every bit of there energy to try to through the hook. After you release them back into the water they will sit there and "sulk" until they regain there strength to swim away. As long as they are up right and not belly up and they have some movement in there tail just leave them be, they will be OK when they get there energy back. Also the best thing to do is to handle the fish as little as possible and get them back in the water. Hope this helps. We will have to hook up out at the lake somethime. If you see a 18foot bass tracker with a 150 Merc on it at Silver or Newman that is me.

Later

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Fri May 16, 2008 9:27 am

Well if you fish silver often I guarantee you have seen me out there. I think I fished it ~30 times last summer and I will probably fish it 3 times a week starting here pretty soon. I would love to hit the lake with you one of these days! I think I am going to start posting my days off on here and offering them to anybody that wants to fish.

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Sat May 24, 2008 8:06 pm

muskie guy wrote:Thats a great report and NICE water wolf!! I think it's safe to point out that people can consider selective harvest of the smaller pike in the Pend Orielle. I know it's not something we discuss often, but we're not talking about the sterile Tiger Muskie here. It's a good call to occasionaly keep a smaller fish to improve the quality of the fishing in this particular system. The last 5 years of Kalispel tribal data shows a large, self-sustaining population with an average weight over 11 pounds. Last years survey found that captured fish have gained as much as 5 pounds over the past year. One fish in the survey grew 10 inches and gained nearly 10 pounds since last year! These numbers indicate a solid forage base.
Great info Scott. I believe in throwing back ALL trophy fish. Genetics have to come from some where. You hit the nail on the head.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Sun May 25, 2008 8:31 pm

About 4 years ago at Mayfield I released a nice healthy 40"er. It swam off about 10' then rolled over belly up and nose dived to the bottom over the big weed flat. I could see it's white belly from the boat.
I guy that worked at the hatchery where the tiger muskies were raised was fishing with his wife right next to us.
I stripped down to my short pants and dove in. I picked the fish up but it slipped form my hands on the way up. (Ever try swimming with a musky in your arms?) I kept going to the top for air. My partner handed me the net. Down I went again. (Ever try swimming with a net?) I got the fish half in the net but had to come up for air. It was only about 8-9' deep but it wasn't as easy as it sounds let me tell ya. After I got back to the surface, my partner says look! It just rolled over and swam off.
I figure the musky was just getting it's laughs at my expense.
The hatchery guy said he'd never seen anyone try so hard to have a successful release.
It was a hot summer day so swimming felt good.
Now I don't even take them out of the net untill the camera is ready and have not had a questionable release in a long time. Knock on wood.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue May 27, 2008 5:02 pm

I remember seeing Tarzan doing that once to an alligator...kriekey!!
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Fri May 30, 2008 8:43 am

Back to the Pike topic. Fished the Pend Orielle the other day, the action is getting hot! We were taking pike on topwater and boy do they explode on the lures! I had 3 pike all hit my lure at the same time! The water is super high but that made it even better. We were fishing in flooded fields and timber with 4-5 feet of water in it!

Jsmooth
Petty Officer

Post by Jsmooth » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:56 pm

Hi, new here. You mentioned Silver Lake. I am goin out there on the 14th and was wondering if you could tell me of a few good spots to hit for both muskie and bass. The water temp is low 50s so spawning has not started yet and this will be my first time targeting muskie. Thanks

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:14 am

Hey Jsmooth,
Grab yourself a topo map of the lake. If its your first time out fishing for the Tigers do your homework. Make sure you have all the appropriate gear. Such as rodn' reel, line, lures,LEADERS,pliers, cutters and a good net. Also note that the size limit is 50 inches...Also, not sure what you mean by the water temp being in the 50's? May want to check that too. TIGERS DO NOT SPAWN..not sure if you know that or not. The bass out there were on beds, think they are close to being done now....Like I said if you are a newbie to this, do your homework...Check out www.nwtigermuskies.com informative site!!
The photo is a 3-4 lb bass on a 7 inch Musky crank...
Attachments
SilverCurlew_Lake_005.jpg
SilverCurlew_Lake_005.jpg (378.76 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:21 am

Well Jsmooth, as far good spots for muskie and bass.... I have seen and/or caught muskie and bass in every part of that lake including in 6 inches of water right next to the boat ramp pad. I try not to spend too much time trying to fish one spot. I keep moving and when an active muskie is there they will follow right up to the boat. THe water is very clear so they are usually easy to see. When I know there is one in a certain spot I will work that spot a little harder. The key to muskie fishing is to be patient and not get frustrated. Lately out there we see anywhere from 4-10 a day but they aren't quite taking lures most of the time. We have had a couple that have been aggressive enough to take em but most are just checkin it out and then swim away. By the 14th hopefully the water will warm a little and they will eat more. surface temp was down to 58 yesterday. I haven't seen much for bedding activity from the bass but I haven't really been targeting them. As far as I know I don't think they have spawned yet. There was a large block of time that I wasn't out there but I think the water temps were too low. The temps came up and bass started getting ready but with the cold weather lately Im not sure what they are upto. There have been some good size bass active lately, you can see the pics with my last post for silver.

Jsmooth
Petty Officer

Post by Jsmooth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:34 am

Thankyou for the info guys, much appriciated. And Muskyhunter, the bass is what I was talking about w/ spawning. Any paticular lures and or colors that are doing well? For bass I have a decent assortment of jigs & plastics, spinner baits, top waters, crank baits, poppers ans more. For muskie I picked up some steel core leader and few baits, the 10 inch spinner w/ a clacker and chartruse skirt looks to be the best bet. Also picked up a grey & green skirt to throw on to switch up the color. Been swimming and boating on Silver all my life as I live in Spokane but this will be my first time fishing this lake in 15 years, so thanks again for the info. Hopefully I'll see one of you out there this summer, just look for the 10ft allum. w/ a green cloud of smoke behind it :-$