Pike info and pics

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Pike info and pics

Post by kevinb » Tue May 06, 2008 3:39 pm

I'm one of you. DON'T SHOOT:-$
I'm back talking/asking about Northern Pike.
I had started this thread awhile back but when the format changed,the previous thread got lost.
Muskie Guy sent me a phone number of a shop that had great info,I called them asking about the pike bite. They were very helpful and informative. Since I was raised by wolves,I never wrote the number down. I'm asking in a public forum for the number again because recently I've been chatting with others that want to catch some pike. And thought this thread would be a great place to keep everyone informed.

Where there any other pike lakes in Washington besides Long in Spokane County?

As/if this thread grows,I'll be asking 50 questions again. I will apologize in advance:joker:
But being out west,its hard to get solid and current info. And I love my water wolves:rambo: Rambo likes pike too!

Thanks again:salut:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muskyhunter
Captain

RE:Pike info and pics

Post by muskyhunter » Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 pm

A guy I work with has fished Long lake before and he has never seen a pike in the lake. Not sayin they aren't in the lake. He said it has a ton of the biggest Crappies he has ever seen. But no pike..so hope this just got you thinkin'about a long drive for no pike...see yah
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 06, 2008 7:05 pm

muskyhunter wrote:A guy I work with has fished Long lake before and he has never seen a pike in the lake. Not sayin they aren't in the lake. He said it has a ton of the biggest Crappies he has ever seen. But no pike..so hope this just got you thinkin'about a long drive for no pike...see yah
I know they are there...maybe limited numbers.
I think the Pend Orielle River had them too but again...unsure of population

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Tue May 06, 2008 9:10 pm

kevin, talk to Josh at the Chapter meeting. He's been over east to fish 'em. Wore my NW TIGER PAC sweatshirt for good luck in the early days.
......No, it didn't.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 pm

KUP wrote:kevin, talk to Josh at the Chapter meeting. He's been over east to fish 'em. Wore my NW TIGER PAC sweatshirt for good luck in the early days.
......No, it didn't.
Good to know.
I'm mainly just looking at hitting Washington lakes on my to and from CD'A. I always enjoying traveling off coarse(go figure:-$ haha)

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed May 07, 2008 7:00 pm

I heard that there are a ton of pike in the Pond Oreille river between usk and Newport. Fishing Extreme even did a Pike show up there last year. I am going to hit it this year and give it a try.

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Wed May 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Kevin-
Here you go; on the Pend Oreille River between Newport and Jared fish the sloughs and downed piles of trees along the shore. South of Jared, fish Gardiner Slough, Campbells Slough and Cusick Creek. A few miles farther south, between Cusick and Jared, fish Tacoma Slough, Tacoma Creek, and most definately No Name Slough. South of Usk, fish Dead Cow Slough (#1 spot), Davis Slough and Davis Creek.
May and June are best. Bright spinnerbaits rule! Andy @ Pend Orielle Valley Sportsman: 208-437-3636. Bill @ Live Line Baits: 509-465-5552.
Don't fish the East side of the river North of Usk unless you get a Kalispel Indian Res. permit, costs 5 bucks at The Panther Pit in Cusick. Many big fish in the river, some people claim there are 35 pounders in No Name Slough. I have seen 25# fish kept from the river. But nothing bigger...yet.
Long Lake is sparsely populated. But it seems that when one is caught it's a huge fish. Fish docks, pads and the shallows around them.
Hope this helps.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed May 07, 2008 9:00 pm

[quote="muskie guy"]Kevin-
Here you go]

YES!!! This is what I was looking for,PERFECT:cheers:
Thanks again and if all goes to plan,muskyhunter and I will see you at Silver and Curlew.

Really great info:salut:

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Wed May 07, 2008 10:31 pm

Can you walk the bank to all those areas, or do you need a boat? OK, who wants to make a trip? I can stay with my mother about an hour away in Springdale ;)

Would be a tough call whether to bring conventional gear or fly only (it's so much easier to cart around fly stuff).

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Fri May 09, 2008 8:46 am

Muskie Guy! I can't thank you enough. I am leaving Cheney in about an hour to go to Priest Lake for a wedding. Of course I am going up a day early and coming home a day late so I can fish the Pend Oreille river for pike! So later this afternoon I will be targeting those toothy gators and hopefully get one... or two... or three... Im not picky on the number. Thanks for the info!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 09, 2008 8:50 am

Gone Fishin wrote:Muskie Guy! I can't thank you enough. I am leaving Cheney in about an hour to go to Priest Lake for a wedding. Of course I am going up a day early and coming home a day late so I can fish the Pend Oreille river for pike! So later this afternoon I will be targeting those toothy gators and hopefully get one... or two... or three... Im not picky on the number. Thanks for the info!
Best of luck to 'ya.
Bring back pics if you can

phil cogley
Petty Officer

Post by phil cogley » Sun May 11, 2008 7:52 am

Kevin, Muskie guy took the words right out of my mouth and allowed me to type a shorter reply. When you go to PO river bring a firetigher Husky Jerk and baby bass, they love them, better bring two just in case you get bit off. FEAR NO FISH

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Sun May 11, 2008 7:04 pm

So you can read about my adventure in Pike fishing on the Pend Oreille when they post it (I submitted it).

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportLi ... x?id=13086

Here's the pic
Attachments
pike_25.jpg
pike_25.jpg (91.98 KiB) Viewed 3970 times

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun May 11, 2008 7:13 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:So you can read about my adventure in Pike fishing on the Pend Oreille when they post it (I submitted it).

http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportLi ... x?id=13086

Here's the pic
DUDE!!!! You rule. And great look'n pike.:salut: :salut: :salut:
I'm drooling for my next pike adventure. I might have to PM 'ya in the near future. Nice work =p~

Anyone else with pike pics?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 11, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon May 12, 2008 6:32 am

[quote="PDXFisher"]Can you walk the bank to all those areas, or do you need a boat? OK, who wants to make a trip? I can stay with my mother about an hour away in Springdale ]

We might have to get some people together and check this out:cheers:

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon May 12, 2008 6:47 am

Well here's the deal... I'm hooked! I would love to go back! On anyone of my days off I am willing to drive up if someone or two people want to help with gas. We can easily fish 3 out of my boat.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon May 12, 2008 7:00 am

Gone Fishin wrote:Well here's the deal... I'm hooked! I would love to go back! On anyone of my days off I am willing to drive up if someone or two people want to help with gas. We can easily fish 3 out of my boat.
Game on!!!
I'll PM ya' Maybe PDX wants in too

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Mon May 12, 2008 7:44 am

Heck yeah I wanna go!!! It's a loooong way for me, but damn if your pictures didn't make me plenty happy anyway. Geez, I'm gonna have to buy some X-raps and Husky Jerks. Could you actually see many in the shallows? That's a fly fisherman's dream. Are you listening Marc Martyn?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 12, 2008 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon May 12, 2008 8:59 am

Well when I was cruising the shallows I spooked out about 5 or 6. Then I saw a couple in the shallows that I didnt spook but didnt have any luck getting them to take anything. After that I backed the boat out deeper, I knew they would be there and stood a better chance of getting them if I didnt spooke em first. I probably would have seen a couple dozen if I just cruised the shallows.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue May 13, 2008 5:44 pm

Gone Fishin wrote:Well when I was cruising the shallows I spooked out about 5 or 6. Then I saw a couple in the shallows that I didnt spook but didnt have any luck getting them to take anything. After that I backed the boat out deeper, I knew they would be there and stood a better chance of getting them if I didnt spooke em first. I probably would have seen a couple dozen if I just cruised the shallows.
Do you know what their average size was? Where they like the one in the pic?

I'll get with PDX and see if we can plan a trip over there. I'll give 'ya a buzz in a few days.