personal pontoon boats?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
ruthven78
Commander

personal pontoon boats?

Post by ruthven78 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:01 pm

Anyone have experience with personal pontoon boats? I wont have a truck to haul the rowboat around with soon (grandpa selling his truck) and was thinking I could get one of these guys and strap it to the top of the minivan or something....costco had one on sale in my price range.....well at least closer to my range than a pickup truck.....Im pretty much too big for a float tube (260lbs) but this one has a weight limit of 400. i saw some people using them on Browns Lake a few years ago and thought they looked cool.

Colorado Outfitter XT Pontoon boat

Owner, Bakercraft Lures - http://www.bakercraftlures.com/

leahcim_dahc
Commander

RE:personal pontoon boats?

Post by leahcim_dahc » Tue May 06, 2008 2:39 pm

I don't have any experience with that particular model, I have a water skeeter bass guide. Works fairly well. I had to rethink my gear selection when I use mine. I used to haul a camelbak with about 45# of gear...doesn't work well on a pontoon.

Had to do a few minor tweaks to mine to get it where I want it with regards to the transom, depth finder and other minor stuff...but hasn't been too big a hassle.

If you decide to get the boat, one investment I would consider is a "wheel" so you can push or pull it where you want to launch it. Keeps you from having to drag it and prematurely wear out the pontoons. Also if you put a trolling motor on it, consider a transom saver to prevent the transom from twisting. Not sure if it would ever cause an issue, but I would tend to think it can lead to premature failure of the transom mount and frame.

If you happen to have a receiver tube on your van...there is an assembly you can mount your boat to, and fold up and haul the boat...not sure about price but may be worth a look. Might be easier than tossing up on top of a van by yourself.

Check the linky below for more info with regards to the wheel and hauler.

http://www.oregonfishing.com/resources.aspx
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewezpacker.html

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Aintskunked
Petty Officer

Post by Aintskunked » Tue May 06, 2008 4:11 pm

I dont have any experience with them either but I was lookin at those at Costco yesterday and was considering getttin one if I had the spare money. Im pretty sure it said it came with the wheel thing, If ya get it let us know, im actually goin out tommorow goin to try out a buddies float tube for the first time.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 06, 2008 4:34 pm

ruthven78 wrote:Anyone have experience with personal pontoon boats? I wont have a truck to haul the rowboat around with soon (grandpa selling his truck) and was thinking I could get one of these guys and strap it to the top of the minivan or something....costco had one on sale in my price range.....well at least closer to my range than a pickup truck.....Im pretty much too big for a float tube (260lbs) but this one has a weight limit of 400. i saw some people using them on Browns Lake a few years ago and thought they looked cool.

Colorado Outfitter XT Pontoon boat

Only way to go for fishing small-medium sized lakes by yourself!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue May 06, 2008 5:04 pm

I just bought one from Cabela's that is quite a bit like the one you're looking at. One of the biggest reasons I bought the one I did was because it has a transport wheel. At 77 pounds it would be too heavy for me to lift up on top of my van, so I'm planning on using a utility trailer. I think the following link is the orange/black boat, but I got the sage/black boat. I'd like to tell you how much I like it, but I haven't been able to fish it yet. It's less than a week old.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 06, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue May 06, 2008 5:07 pm

P.S.
I'm looking forward to fishing Browns Lake this year as well.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue May 06, 2008 5:42 pm

I have one almost exactly like the link at Cabela's. No wheel and the gear pockets are a little different. Had it set up with a fishfinder and trolling motor.
Going to put it up for sale for $250. Paid $400 a few years ago.
Just got a 17' smokercraft so I don't need the toon anymore.
Just need to unsling it from the rafters and get some pictures. But it's the same color and manufacturer as the one Lotech Joe put a link to.
Anyone interested before I put it in the classifieds?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 pm

same storage pocket placement?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue May 06, 2008 8:41 pm

http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdispla ... ID=6&Cat=3
i got this pontoon from creek company. not the best but it works. the one you are looking at is like the lexus of pontoons. my uncle has one similar.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Well, anyone that knows me in these parts, knows that I have experience with a pontoon boat, about 12 years. All I can say is that it is the most fun you can have sitting down.

The picture was taken by Cobra just a second or two after a big Rainbow decided that he didn't want his picture taken.
Attachments
Marc_1.JPG
Marc_1.JPG (324.43 KiB) Viewed 3170 times

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:47 am

leahcim_dahc wrote:I don't have any experience with that particular model, I have a water skeeter bass guide. Works fairly well. I had to rethink my gear selection when I use mine. I used to haul a camelbak with about 45# of gear...doesn't work well on a pontoon.

Had to do a few minor tweaks to mine to get it where I want it with regards to the transom, depth finder and other minor stuff...but hasn't been too big a hassle.

If you decide to get the boat, one investment I would consider is a "wheel" so you can push or pull it where you want to launch it. Keeps you from having to drag it and prematurely wear out the pontoons. Also if you put a trolling motor on it, consider a transom saver to prevent the transom from twisting. Not sure if it would ever cause an issue, but I would tend to think it can lead to premature failure of the transom mount and frame.

If you happen to have a receiver tube on your van...there is an assembly you can mount your boat to, and fold up and haul the boat...not sure about price but may be worth a look. Might be easier than tossing up on top of a van by yourself.

Chad
actually it does come with a wheel :) Im still trying to convince my spouse that I need it as a really early xmas present

Thanks for the tip on the transporter, I'll have to look to see if the van has a reciever tube but the cost of the one you linked would be out of my price range.....it will be hard enough to get the wife to ok buying a pontoon boat, especially since we found out a few weeks ago there is another future fisherman (or fisherwoman) on the way...due 12/25

I wonder if I got cargo racks for my hyundai if I could put it on top of the car?? lol....
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 08, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Thu May 08, 2008 10:59 am

What about a hitch for the minivan? You can get bolt on ones for your specific vehicle. A minivan should be fine towing a rowboat.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu May 08, 2008 11:01 am

Hey Marc I took a look at yours man that thing is a cadilac.Cup holders and was that a small downrigger that could be used for the anchor.Pretty sweet.You should start a pontoon boat custumizing shop.I would buy one of those Marc Martyn Customs.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:10 am

shawn wrote:Hey Marc I took a look at yours man that thing is a cadilac.Cup holders and was that a small downrigger that could be used for the anchor.Pretty sweet.You should start a pontoon boat custumizing shop.I would buy one of those Marc Martyn Customs.
NASCAR would probably give him a stop use letter for being too close to Mark Martin hehe.....I thought about a small anchor too but didnt even think about using a downrigger......Im really starting to grovel with the wife to get one lol....opening the lines of negotiation lol......my dad's rowboat got damaged this last winter from my landlord piling snow ontop of it and also hitting it with his backhoe bucket....easily repairable but in current state it wouldnt hold water, will need to be welded......so my dad is going to fix it, but doubt he will let me borrow it any time soon lol.....

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:47 am

i guess i'll need to find waders to fit my fat butt too

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:58 am

dilbert wrote:What about a hitch for the minivan? You can get bolt on ones for your specific vehicle. A minivan should be fine towing a rowboat.
A minivan will tow a nice 10-14' aluminum boat real easily. I tow a 12' Aluminum behind a big V8 SUV and I don't even feel it back there.

Pontoons are sweet, but aluminums (if you can afford them and store them) allow you to bring guests along in your boat...Just a though....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu May 08, 2008 12:10 pm

ruthven78 wrote:i guess i'll need to find waders to fit my fat butt too
My brother in Montana has...I think he said eight of the pontoons and I asked him about waders after they were mentioned here and he said you used to need them with the old style pontoons, but the newer ones set you high enough out of the water the only part that gets wet is your feet getting in and out and he said a pair of boots takes care of that.

I have been waiting for my brother to box up one of his and send it to me, but that looks like it is not going to happen, so I too have been trying to figure out how to afford one. There was a guy on craigslist that was advertising that he already had his inspected by the county sheriff so I would not have to. Is that just an Oregon thing? Have any of you ever heard of having to have a government inspection? You surley do not have to license them...do you?

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu May 08, 2008 2:44 pm

ruthven78 wrote:
leahcim_dahc wrote:I don't have any experience with that particular model, I have a water skeeter bass guide. Works fairly well. I had to rethink my gear selection when I use mine. I used to haul a camelbak with about 45# of gear...doesn't work well on a pontoon.

Chad
actually it does come with a wheel :) Im still trying to convince my spouse that I need it as a really early xmas present

Thanks for the tip on the transporter, I'll have to look to see if the van has a reciever tube but the cost of the one you linked would be out of my price range.....it will be hard enough to get the wife to ok buying a pontoon boat, especially since we found out a few weeks ago there is another future fisherman (or fisherwoman) on the way...due 12/25

I wonder if I got cargo racks for my hyundai if I could put it on top of the car?? lol....
I didn't even notice it had a wheel, that's a bonus. I didn't know whether or not the transporter was in your budget or not, figured I'd throw it out there for some ideas.

...it will be hard enough to get the wife to ok buying a pontoon boat
I have found it's much easier begging for forgiveness than to ask for permission... :clown:

another future fisherman (or fisherwoman) on the way...due 12/25
Congratulations!! :cheers:

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:37 am

...it will be hard enough to get the wife to ok buying a pontoon boat
I have found it's much easier begging for forgiveness than to ask for permission... :clown:

another future fisherman (or fisherwoman) on the way...due 12/25
Congratulations!! :cheers:

Chad[/quote]

you arent eh first person to tell me its easier to ask for forgiveness lol......a guy at work said one time he went and told his wife he bought something...but hadnt yet, just to test the waters, since she didnt frreak out too terribly he went and bought it lol....

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:41 am

lskiles wrote:
ruthven78 wrote:i guess i'll need to find waders to fit my fat butt too
My brother in Montana has...I think he said eight of the pontoons and I asked him about waders after they were mentioned here and he said you used to need them with the old style pontoons, but the newer ones set you high enough out of the water the only part that gets wet is your feet getting in and out and he said a pair of boots takes care of that.

I have been waiting for my brother to box up one of his and send it to me, but that looks like it is not going to happen, so I too have been trying to figure out how to afford one. There was a guy on craigslist that was advertising that he already had his inspected by the county sheriff so I would not have to. Is that just an Oregon thing? Have any of you ever heard of having to have a government inspection? You surley do not have to license them...do you?
montana isnt really that far that you could make a mini 1-2 day vacation...drive over and get it.....cept then when you look at the money you will spend going over there you could probably buy one here for the same cost