Goin to American Lake in the Mornin

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Aintskunked
Petty Officer

Goin to American Lake in the Mornin

Post by Aintskunked » Tue May 06, 2008 4:07 pm

I think Im goin to hit up american lake in the mornin,was hearing and reading that they seem to be doin well at the moment. One of my buddies from work loaned me his float tube and I plan on giving that a shot, anyone reccomend a good area to try? I was thinkin bout juss goin down by the VA but am worried bout boat traffic as this will be my first time on a float tube. I was thinkin either there or down by the boatlaunch in Tillicum. Ill prob just be casting some castmasters and spinners, maybe if I fell energetic I may try putting on a wedding ring with some worm and doin a half bassed trolling/kicking. any info tips suggestions would be appreciated

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Goin to American Lake in the Mornin

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 06, 2008 4:39 pm

There's a park on the east side of the lake you could launch out of, just north of Bill's Boathouse. I'm sure it's on the Google Maps. Click on GPS on the Lake Index for American lake. Advantage is there is no major boat launch there so you won't have as much traffic.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

ReelFisher
Petty Officer

Post by ReelFisher » Tue May 06, 2008 5:21 pm

How'd it go? I'd like to hit the lake sometime this weekend and I was just wondering how your trip went? Thanks.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue May 06, 2008 5:48 pm

If your able to get onto Ft.Lewis try gettin on by the Beachwood Park area. aka little American. The water is warmer and the fish seem to bite better down in there. Or like you said down at the Public launch..just keep your eyes on the meth/crack heads. They like to bust out car windows and steal small change from your change holder thingy. The island just out in front of the launch is pretty good. I haven't seen many tube guys out there only because of the crazy boaters out there. Though I will say its more subdued out there than out at Tapps. Any where south of the public launch is pretty good for trout. The VA Hospital is always good but you may get pretty tired paddlin out across the lake..Good luck to you !! Be safe...see yah
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Tue May 06, 2008 5:59 pm

If you just want to use a float tube I would go down to Harry Todd Park and launch it off there. Then go north until you find this little cove. troll around in there with a a plain worm and little weight. They're nailing them in there

bel83
Petty Officer

Post by bel83 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:36 pm

I realize you probably already went but a few things to remember. If you go in the afternoon the docks at Harry Todd park are used extensively by rowing crews (masters, juniors, and collegiate - though most college rowing is over) this also applies if you are going out before about seven AM on any weekday morning or nine AM on any saturday morning. Second, it is Tilicum and I know from experience, don't leave anything on the docks. Float tubes are not the most visible thing in the world so make sure you use lights and or a very bright colored coat/hat. If the crews are out the often can't see to well if you are wearing something dark.

and in case you were wondering...I rowed for PLU for four years so I have a lot of time on that lake, though none of it fishing. I have seen people pull some good sized fish out of waters around the south and southwest side of the island. Good luck out there and stay safe!

Bel83
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach a man to Fish and he will Drink for a lifetime."

Aintskunked
Petty Officer

Post by Aintskunked » Wed May 07, 2008 3:32 am

i plan on taking off here in a few more hours (prob round 8am). yeah Ill wait till theres some light out, i dont have the ability to get on Ft lewis anymore so I think I will prob give it a try down by that public launch in Tillicum, i thought bout Harry Todd but I think there would be alot of boat traffic down there and Im kinda goin to try and stay away so I dont end up as the water form of roadkill. I hear the weather is supposed to be bout the same as yesterday so I might get lucky on all teh water and jet skiers but theres plenty of room on that lake for everyone (at least I hope so) Ill make sure and post a report when I get back, thanks agian all

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Wed May 07, 2008 9:39 am

We fished it yesterday I just posted a report. It seemed all around the Island was the best area for us.

Aintskunked
Petty Officer

Post by Aintskunked » Wed May 07, 2008 1:47 pm

OK so I chickened out with the float tube (air pump had dead batteries and couldnt find my wader shoes helped in my decision too) but I did go to Bradley in South hill bout 9:30 by 11:30 when I left I caught 5 trout 4 were lil 7-8 inchers but the last one I got was about 12-13 inches all realeased even though some guy gave me crap for lettin the bigger one go instead of offerin it to anyone all were caught on a 1/8th castermaster silver with orange stripe, then went to Spanaway for a lil bit after 5 casts I caught a small trout at the swimming area that was maybe an inch bigger then my tiny castmaster and nothing after that stayed for prob an hour. Then diecided to end my day by goin to Harry todd Park at american lake, spent only 20 mins there got nothing casting my castmaster but there was a couple there that had two nice size trout and told me they released a couple smaller ones (they were still fishing with powerbait on the far end of the dock) so I decided to call it a day.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Wed May 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Aintskunked wrote:
I got was about 12-13 inches all realeased even though some guy gave me crap for lettin the bigger one go instead of offerin it to anyone
Good for you on letting it go. Catch and keeping it would have been fine as well, but giving a fish away is illegal unless followed in this manner -- just a general FYI for people who get ticket every year over this same issue -- :

You may not possess another person’s game fish unless it is
accompanied by a statement showing the name,
address, license number, date, county, and area
where it was taken, and the signature of the
angler who harvested it.

From page 31 of the new 2008-2009 WDFW Reg. Phamplet.

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 07, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Wed May 07, 2008 5:07 pm

Aintskunked wrote:OK so I chickened out with the float tube (air pump had dead batteries and couldnt find my wader shoes helped in my decision too) but I did go to Bradley in South hill bout 9:30 by 11:30 when I left I caught 5 trout 4 were lil 7-8 inchers but the last one I got was about 12-13 inches all realeased even though some guy gave me crap for lettin the bigger one go instead of offerin it to anyone all were caught on a 1/8th castermaster silver with orange stripe, then went to Spanaway for a lil bit after 5 casts I caught a small trout at the swimming area that was maybe an inch bigger then my tiny castmaster and nothing after that stayed for prob an hour. Then diecided to end my day by goin to Harry todd Park at american lake, spent only 20 mins there got nothing casting my castmaster but there was a couple there that had two nice size trout and told me they released a couple smaller ones (they were still fishing with powerbait on the far end of the dock) so I decided to call it a day.
aww, you should have float tubed it. As long as you stay in the buoys, which there is a lot of room between them and the shore, your good. Especially at this time of year, no boats are really out there. I float tube it about twice a week and never have any problems with it.