Shot Sealions

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Shot Sealions

Post by A9 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:59 pm

Looks like someone took manners into their own hands....

Sea lions found shot at Columbia River traps

By KOMO Staff & News Services
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - State and federal authorities say they are investigating the deaths of six sea lions found dead at Columbia River traps. They appear to have been shot.

The bodies of four California sea lions and two Steller sea lions were found at the traps early Sunday afternoon.

There were two California sea lions and one Steller sea lion at each of two traps just below the Bonneville Dam.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and federal investigators are treating the area as a crime scene.

Both species of sea lion are federally protected. But Oregon and Washington state are trapping some California sea lions to keep them from eating salmon at the dam.

The states had planned to euthanize up to 85 sea lions a year under a special federal permit, but the Humane Society of the United States won an emergency court order last month that allows the sea lions to be trapped but not killed this year.

The order remains in effect until a ruling is made by the full 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in a few months.

Last week, a trapped sea lion died after being taken to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium in Tacoma for an examination.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:Shot Sealions

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun May 04, 2008 4:05 pm

I wonder how far they were shot from or if somebody did it out of a boat? I know guys carry 22 shorts and high power pellet guns to shoot them down there but 6 that died it had to be a big gun far away I would think?( they aren't small! )
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:41 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:it had to be a big gun far away I would think?( they aren't small! )
No kidding. I've pulled up real close to some bouys they relax on out in the sound and seen them from 20-25 feet away. Those things are HUGE. Wikipedia says males reach 8ft and nearly 900 lbs? I wouldn't doubt it. I've probably seen a few that have reached that size. I don't think a 22' would do anything...Gotta be a big rifle to get one of those things to drop...

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sun May 04, 2008 5:23 pm

=d> =d> =d>

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sun May 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
Looks like someone took manners into their own hands....

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and federal investigators are treating the area as a crime scene.

Both species of sea lion are federally protected.
Let's just hope it's not one of our members or that guy on here that claimed he shoots at them with that .22 or something. Man, people who have the nerve to shoot sea-lions have a lot of nerve and guts. As much as I despise these salmon eaters, taking matters into your own hands and killing these animals is totally unacceptable. There should be NO clapping hands. This is actually quite twisted. People need to chill out. Fishermen are taking this into their own hands and for all I know probably carry guns around on the banks of the Columbia...glad I don't frequent that area often. Thanks for the link Sam, and like I said - let's hope it's not the guy who claims he shoots at them. How stupid is that -- to say you shoot at federally protected animals? That's like saying you're going to rob a bank at a given time...kind of dumb. The Feds will track these people down real quick, just watch. The Feds mean business and you will serve MAJOR time if you take "matters in to your own hands." I guess if you like prison then nothing is holding anyone back...#-o

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 04, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Sun May 04, 2008 6:48 pm

That is really STUPID.This will give the Humane Society court case go more in their favor.People need to chill and let the courts do their thing.This just hurts all us fisherpeople and if we lose the case due to these kind of actions,then we should get these idiots and cover them with scent and feed em to the sea lions.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 04, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sun May 04, 2008 7:57 pm

This article can be shortened to four words.

Yeah! Sea lions dead!

What would you rather have, federally "endangered" California sea lions in Washington, or federally endangered salmon runs?

Plus, when was the last time anyone actually won a case against PETA and the tree huggers?

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sun May 04, 2008 8:18 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:That is really STUPID.This will give the Humane Society court case go more in their favor.People need to chill and let the courts do their thing.This just hurts all us fisherpeople and if we lose the case due to these kind of actions,then we should get these idiots and cover them with scent and feed em to the sea lions.
Exactly. You see the light. Ever who shot them were morons and made the situation even worse - just adding fuel to the fire already burning very robust with passion. KTK

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:03 pm

This is sure to help the Humane Society in their case...Really screwed the rest of us sportfishers and anti-sealions people...

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon May 05, 2008 8:59 am

Eventually enough is enough. More of sea lions should be shot. If HSUS (not to be confused with the ASPCA Humane Society) wants to protect sealions, then let them put a pool in their backyard and keep them for pets.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 05, 2008 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon May 05, 2008 9:12 am

A quick history lesson?

How did sea lions become such a huge problem? I know they destroy salmon runs. Have their(sealions) numbers increased over time?

crappie007
Warrant Officer

Post by crappie007 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:44 am

If sealions could speak I'm sure humans would get a ear full and then some.
For years upon years humans , the intelligent species that we are, have been forcing all animals to change their tactics to survive. Shame on the sealion shooter or shooters for not following the law.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon May 05, 2008 11:58 am

What dog does HSUS have in this fight? They are nothing more than a PETA clone and favoring sea lions over salmon. Shoot (no pun intended), if they (PETA and HSUS) had their way we wouldn't even get to fish.

Wake up folks and smell the fish. Pay attention who you want to partner with.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 pm

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:What dog does HSUS have in this fight? They are nothing more than a PETA clone and favoring sea lions over salmon. Shoot (no pun intended), if they (PETA and HSUS) had their way we wouldn't even get to fish.

Wake up folks and smell the fish. Pay attention who you want to partner with.
Side note: PETA is now trying to get the Jockey who rode Eight Belles in the Derby suspended...
What a joke....

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Mon May 05, 2008 2:30 pm

This isn't about taking sides with PETA or sportsman. The shooting was illegal, and as others have already said, all it does is give ammunition to PETA to stop the trapping and removal of these pests.

I think a renegade redneck, 23 deep into a case of Schmidt just ruined it for all of us. Good shootin' pal. #-o
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Drewp wrote:This isn't about taking sides with PETA or sportsman. The shooting was illegal, and as others have already said, all it does is give ammunition to PETA to stop the trapping and removal of these pests.
I agree. If you shoot at a federally protected animal you will face serious consequences. Sea lions were put here for a reason. They just didn't pop up out of nowhere. Salmon and sealions have co-existed for years. Sea-lions play a vital role in balancing out the ecosystem...that's why we have them here. Shooting them may be required, but let fisheries handle that...taking matters into your own hands and shooting them is plain stupid/illegal and claiming to have shot them on the internet is even more stupid. #-o

KTK

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm

Regulated hunting!!!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon May 05, 2008 4:42 pm

So...which group shot the sea lions...indians, commercials or sportfishermen??

Idaho ranchers shot protected wolves that were "depredating" livestock. The wolves eventually became de-listed.

Same thing's going to happen with sea lions, only thing is it's complicated by them being grouped with orcas and other marine mammals.

Consider shooting sea lions like throwing tea into the harbor in 1775 Boston, an act of civil disobedience.

Back to shooting sea lions. Some guy did it, it was illegal. He'll probably get caught because of bar talk. So what and what's the uproar?

I sure don't hold sea lions sacred.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon May 05, 2008 4:47 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:
Drewp wrote:This isn't about taking sides with PETA or sportsman. The shooting was illegal, and as others have already said, all it does is give ammunition to PETA to stop the trapping and removal of these pests.
I agree. If you shoot at a federally protected animal you will face serious consequences. ...... #-o

KTK
Serious consequences for shooting federally protected animals?? May I cite the Makahs and gray whales?

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon May 05, 2008 6:21 pm

I hope the idiot who shot these animals opens his mouth to a buddy and gets himself caught! Or maybe investigators can trace the bullets back to his firearm. I am amazed how worthless people are! It is my guess the jerk used a boat to pull up and shoot the defenseless animals. What a rodent! I would love to see him receive the same. ANGRY!!!!!