Baitcaster reel vs. spinning reel... pole?

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
Rabbits
Petty Officer

Baitcaster reel vs. spinning reel... pole?

Post by Rabbits » Sat May 03, 2008 2:22 pm

I am wanting to get a baitcaster reel and I was wondering if there was any difference in the pole.

Does the reel go on top?

I bought a Berkeley lightning rod before doing any research on baitcasting reels. I noticed that on the lightning rod it looks like the handle is upside down, as if the reel was meant to go on top. Did I buy a pole for a baitcasting reel?

Thanks guys, hope this makes sense.
Rum is good.

kzoo
Commodore

RE:Baitcaster reel vs. spinning reel... pole?

Post by kzoo » Sat May 03, 2008 6:02 pm

Yes, the reel is on top, grip on the bottom.

Rabbits
Petty Officer

Post by Rabbits » Sat May 03, 2008 9:01 pm

sweet, thanks,

any good recommendations for a reel?
Rum is good.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:08 pm

Shimano. Can't go wrong. Although I hear good things about Plueger now, but their drags are still something that concern me...

Avoid Okuma...just my .02
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sat May 03, 2008 9:14 pm

I agree with Sam on the Shimanos. I know he doesn't care about the Okumas, but they're very reasonably priced reels.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:00 am

u can get a lot of reel for the $ these days with okuma, esp on the spinning side.

travislikesfishing
Lieutenant

Post by travislikesfishing » Tue May 06, 2008 11:32 am

i have a flueger president spiining and i by far my favorite one and i have a bunch i dont know about bait casting though never had one but im looking to buy one this year to try for bass fishing
KEEP UR LINE TIGHT SO U CAN FEEL THE BITE!!!!!

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Tue May 06, 2008 12:33 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Shimano. Can't go wrong. Although I hear good things about Plueger now, but their drags are still something that concern me...

Avoid Okuma...just my .02
I agree 100%.
I hove only owned one Okuma reel. It was the biggest piece of junk I ever strapped on a pole. It was OK for casting and retrieving but the drag sucked big time.

WCCT
Lieutenant

Post by WCCT » Tue May 06, 2008 2:27 pm

Quantum Energy's are where it is at. The PT and the Tour Edition are both top notch reels with excellent drag systems on them. The Accurist PT is a little less money, but it is still a solid reel.
PowerTeam Lures Pro Staff
[http://www.powerteamlures.com/?Click=2818]

fishunt83
Warrant Officer

Post by fishunt83 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:11 am

Daiwa's megatwitch reals seem to be working great for me now. Easy to use and i have no problems ever
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sun May 11, 2008 8:44 am

I bought the older version of the BPS tourney baitcasting reel back in February when they were blowing them out for 30 bucks. For that kind of money, I wasn't expecting much. If nothing else, I figured I could use it for flipping. Much to my surprise, this little reel is a dandy and works every bit as well as my $100 pro qualifier. The only major difference being that the centrifugal brake settings can't be changed without removing the side-cover. It's inconvenient, but I rarely adjust the settings so it is a non-issue. Mine is currently spooled with 10 lb mono and mounted on a 7' light-action ugly stik. This is a great setup for throwing lightweight crankbaits. There are definitely better baitcasting reels out there, but if you're on a tight budget, this one is great bang for the buck. :thumleft:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Daltontribe
Petty Officer

Post by Daltontribe » Sun May 25, 2008 9:31 am

As far as baitcasting reels go. I dont know your price range, but for beginners Abu Garcia Ambassaduers run pretty cheep, but go up to Revo's which are excellent quality, but a little pricey. I personally run Shimano Reels which are expensive and have EXCELLENT quality. I use a Calcutta 100B, 400B, and a Curado 200DHSV and all handle larger lures admirably, but also cast smaller lures with minimal backlashes. Of all the brands I've used these are the very best.

Daniel

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:34 pm

I have a shimano curado 300dsv and for the hi gh price you get alot i can cast a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch of 1/4 " lead across the mouth of the wallace river with ease And if you are after chums this reel is good for bringing in 18lbs chums from hell
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:30 am

:cheers: I bought a Spinning rod a few weeks ago and it is one of the best I have used in years for the money. It was purchased on ebay from a guy in Wisconson that got a bunch of rods from a maker called Quetico. It came with a case that is worth almost as much as the pole cost. I am very happy with this purchase and want to pass it on to you. Here is some of the things that are said in the description. I am going to leave an URL for one just like the one I got and hope you like it.

I am going to get a nice Teal ultralight 7 footer for my wife. Only $44 and free shipping!

FEATURES : AAA DA GAMA PORTUGUESE CORK HANDLE - CUSHIONED GRAPHITE REELSEAT -HAND WRAPPED WITH PREMIUM SILK WINDING THREAD -DIAMOND BUTT WRAP - PORTED TITANIUM BUTT PLATE WITH BLANK STABILIZER - FOLDING HOOK KEEPER - QUAD SUPPORT ARCONITE GUIDES- GUIDES ARE OVERSIZED TO INCREASE CASTING DISTANCE- 4 SECTION HEAVY WEIGHT OXFORD CLOTH TRAVEL SLEEVE - CORDURRA COVERED PVC SILK LINED HARD CASE WITH PADDED ZIPPERED TOP AND ADJUSTABLE CARRY STRAP. THESE RODS ARE ENTIRELY HANDBUILT - ONE AT A TIME - HAND SANDED AND HAND WRAPPED.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-FT-4-PC-UL-STEELH ... dZViewItem

The name of the seller is "microjigger". The rod is a 8ft 4pc steelhead pack spinning rod. It is a im7 ultralight/lite rod. The ebay # is 320261705812 . You should at least give this guy a look.I know a 1 piece rod is better but it would be hard to go threw the woods or put in a little car. The rod I got, has NO FLAWS that I could see other than an alignment dot that is about 1/16in off. Other than that it is perfect! It has been used for trolling and casting and I have had no problems. It is as good as any $600 rod I have used. Only thing is it hasn't gone through the back car door slam test as yet. If it fails then I will only have another $64 bucks to get another one.

:salut: Hope it will work for someone, Steve:thumright
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.