LINGCOD Thread - 2008 Season Only

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kayak chris
Petty Officer

RE: LINGCOD Thread - 2008 Season Only

Post by kayak chris » Fri May 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Ultimately, it comes down to education. Education of ourselves, our friends, our children. It is the only way that we can make the act of poaching so socially unexceptable that it stirs feelings of guilt. So often it becomes "so what? or "will one fish really matter." I think these are the answers of the uneducated. I am well aware that there will always be those that just don't care. But I like to believe that the majority of people will do the right thing if they know why.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri May 02, 2008 5:16 pm

great thread kutthroatkilla...sorry to chime in a little late, but just got back about three hours ago from a couple days at sea. glad to see people are at least catching fish....but a large stock of "inch under's" is disturbing....i've never fished the sound, but with all that pressure, i'm sure plenty of people keep sub-legal fish....what a shame. i sure hope it's a hefty fine, something to really deter people..... on a brighter note...north san juans is kicking major butt for me so far this year!! i'm trying to post a report right now, but the darn server keeps timing out on me...i want to wait until the report posts before i give away the "goods" here...glad to see those reports guys!!

BTW, right on kayak chris, education,education,education....
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Fri May 02, 2008 6:21 pm

So does this mean Kutt is the Ling King :king: so far this year?

Nice job out there man.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ripper
Petty Officer

Post by ripper » Fri May 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Great job with the pic's Kutt. I was out there with ya in that nasty water. I didn't cath anything, but I had a nice one follow my bait up to the boat. I posted two reports in the salt water section, if anyone has any advice for me, I'd appreciate it. The only lings I've ever caught were at Neah Bay. I've heard that it takes a different tactic to catch these local fish. Good Luck

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri May 02, 2008 7:25 pm

[quote="fishnislife"]So does this mean Kutt is the Ling King :king: so far this year?

Nice job out there man.

fishnislife
[/quote
.]

i may be able to make a run at it still with my PB.....

i'm surprised to hear it was so rough down south...two footers at most the last two days up here.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri May 02, 2008 7:31 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:
fishnislife wrote:
So does this mean Kutt is the Ling King :king: so far this year?

Nice job out there man.

fishnislife
i may be able to make a run at it still with my PB.....
i'm surprised to hear it was so rough down south...two footers at most the last two days up here.
Nope, Rollin with Rolland is the new King :king: :king:. Look at the SALTWATER REPORTS. Two fish at 37" (they look even longer). Man Rollin with Roland, those are some nice lings. You got yourself some fish & chips and fresh ling for a week or two! Great job out there and way to go...up load them pics in this thread. You're the man and the king! :king:

KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri May 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Rollin with Rolland wrote:

And yes...it was windy and choppy on Possession...3 to 4 footers at best. Not ideal...still a good amount of boats jigging and coming up with nada. The Juans are where you wanna be right now. Love the reports! KTK

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Mike,
I believe he did post a report. I'm just curious, is it not ok to post a report and a forum thread about it? I'm not trying to spark a flame, just curious because it's always been a gray area and I'm trying to clear it up so I don't do the wrong thing....

This summer I'm intending to do some writeups/reports via the forum about salmon fishing this summer. They are going to be basically picture essays that also have a report in them, and I will submit a report as well, but am I cool to also do the forum writeup/report as well?
NO flame worries. I missed the saltwater reported posted (Aaron approved that one) and in any case just wanted to put a clear disclaimer, which Kutt did. YOu're fine with your plan. As stated, we just don't want to start getting reports in the Forum but not the report pages. Aaron put a lot of effort into the report code and it will pay off big time as the years go by - if it keeps gettign used.

BTW, if you write up nice articles like you are describing, I would like to get them posted as a TackleBox Tales series. Again, those articles go into the Site-Wide searchable database and will be available for as long as the site is online. Quite a catelog of information on Washington fishing!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri May 02, 2008 8:06 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
BTW, if you write up nice articles like you are describing, I would like to get them posted as a TackleBox Tales series. Again, those articles go into the Site-Wide searchable database and will be available for as long as the site is online. Quite a catelog of information on Washington fishing!
Nice feature Mike. I might have to do a write-up on Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish cutthroat trout fishing and perhaps one on lingcod (working with Rollin with Rolland on that one) to send into you. The cutthroat one is much needed. Keep up the good work! KTK

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri May 02, 2008 8:13 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:
Nice feature Mike. I might have to do a write-up on Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish cutthroat trout fishing and perhaps one on lingcod (working with Rollin with Rolland on that one) to send into you. The cutthroat one is much needed. Keep up the good work! KTK
Please do!

BTW, with the new site and "My Site" feature the picture issue will be partially solved.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:26 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Got it. I figure since this site doesn't have much in the way of saltwater stuff, or at least as much as the lake stuff, I could do my part to help the site out by putting in a good writeup. I know it is a freshwater LAKES site, hence the name Washingtonlakes.com, but many of us also like to wander out into the salt, so I figure I could help out by doing some articles about the salmon/saltwater stuff...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Jerome
Petty Officer

Post by Jerome » Fri May 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Roland hit it off with a bang. Nice work, thats how you start off the short season. I wish i wasnt tied up for a few days, those pics make me want to hit it hard again.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Fri May 02, 2008 9:07 pm

thanks Jerome...it was a blast. just a quick couple more pics from earlier today....then i have to get my shrimp gear together for tommorow!!

Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 02, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Good pics. all:cheers:

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Sat May 03, 2008 6:52 am

Yea, currently Kutt is the King Ling. Not for long though.:rambo:

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 03, 2008 10:35 am

kayak chris wrote:Yea, currently Kutt is the King Ling. Not for long though.:rambo:
Wait...Rollin with Roland is the LING KING :king: !!!? Right?!!! He caught two lings that were 37" each! Now that is much better than my two fish that were 30." Maybe we should differentiate between LING KING :king: in Area 7 vs. LING KING :king: in Area 9. If it were Area 9, yes I might be LING KING :king: , but not in Area 7. Roland is the current LING KING :king: Can't wait for Kayak Chris to lace into a biguns in MA9 that goes like 39.5" -- I know you have it in you Kayak Chris! ....KTK :king:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 03, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 03, 2008 10:40 am

Rollin with Rolland wrote:thanks Jerome...it was a blast. just a quick couple more pics from earlier today....

Nice fish Rolland! That fish is SWEET! Dark colored and quite LARGE. You did very well on the Opener! Best report yet I've run across and I've talked to 20 some people who went out for them! Good job and keep up the good work buddy! You might hook a halibut too if you make that same drift over that same hole. My experience is this: usually when you find two or three lings, there will be 20 or 30 lings in that general area...go back to that same area and work it hard again and move .25 mi either way of it and N, E, S, W, etc. and you'll find they don't move all that much and will take just about anything down there. They even hit old batteries with hooks on them! Nice job again!

KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 03, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Sat May 03, 2008 11:49 am

I stand corrected! All hail Ling King Roland.......For the moment:rambo:

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 03, 2008 1:09 pm

kayak chris wrote:I stand corrected! All hail Ling King Roland.......For the moment:rambo:
For the time being...lol...I'm going to try on Monday for a 40" -- we will see! It's going to be hard to top that one if we're stuck in MA9...but it can be done...it'll be fun! KTK

cant sleep
Petty Officer

Post by cant sleep » Sat May 03, 2008 2:07 pm

pretty soon KK will be in school?? Ha!! KK how many days will it be till your looking out the window listening to lectures.. you have fish blood running through your brain..... thats a good thing!! fish on KK nice picks...