Big Yellow Perch

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
squidbo63
Petty Officer

Big Yellow Perch

Post by squidbo63 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:43 pm

Greetings,

Well it's that time of the year again, and we're looking for the big perch.
I have fished in just about every lake in King, Snohomish and Pierce counties that
hold perch, and in the last three years I have noticed how much harder it is to locate perch over ten inches.
There seems to be an over abundance of little guys.
I'm no fish biologist, but I suspect something has changed.
Anyone out there know where a fellow Washingtonian can take his kid out
an find a mess of big perch?
Your tips are most appreciated.

Jess F

Normandy Park](*,)

jdimonda
Petty Officer

RE:Big Yellow Perch

Post by jdimonda » Mon May 28, 2007 7:03 pm

That's easy. Lake Stevens. Troll a plain worm around the shore. Every few thousand feet stop trolling and just drop your worm straight down. You are sure to catch a ton of fairly large perch. My record last year was just over one pound. Not great but still pretty good.

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Mon May 28, 2007 8:25 pm

L A K E W A S H I N G T O N ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

drift deep weedlines (20'-30') with jigs tipped with maggots or perch meat. look for irreguarities in the weedlines (points, bays, drop-offs, etc.). a little bit of a difference in the weeds can concentrate huge schools of fish. i have a couple good spots that it can be pretty easy to catch 50+ in a couple hours with very few under 9", with a few over 12". use bright colored jigs like red, yellow, chartreuse, etc.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 pm

The columbia basin is full of perch lakes. Theyve fallen off in the last few years but they still hold some nice perch

squidbo63
Petty Officer

Post by squidbo63 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks for the tips,
I have caught some nice sized perch in Lake Washington, but that was on my buddy's nice 19' boat, We have a wee little boat,
so the chop there sometimes get's to be a bit much. Know any sheltered areas?

Did not know there were any perch in Lake Stevens, I have fished it several years ago with no luck, but I'll give it another shot.

I love the Columbia Basin, spent a lot of summers there as a kid when my family owned a small ranch near Warden,
my favorite place used to be Soda lake. Just can't get the time to get over there anymore.

Thanks again !

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:53 pm

I love soda lake. Now they have capsites for $5 a night. The campsites come with covered picnic tables. Makes a lot more shade in the desert and the picnic tables are on conrete slabs. Great spots right on the water. You just put your $ in a drop box. The lake now is full of walleye

Home Skillet 123
Angler

Post by Home Skillet 123 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:59 pm

lake washington there's a great perch population and pretty good size

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:05 pm

It's very easy to fish for perch on Lake Washington. All you need to do is fish in 30 feet of water, near any kind of structure. One time I went there with some friends, and there were bites all over the place, just casting a worm from shore.

troller931
Angler

Post by troller931 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:45 pm

the columbia basin does have a few good lakes to catch perch in---soda is one of them,but if you stay in the camp ground and have kids --please watch out for snakes--they do have them there and around all the lakes below potholes reservoir--a better place to stay,costs about 20.00 more would be at mar don's resort,and they have a large dock to fish off of--free if you camp there--if not it costs 5.00 a day per person, and no i don't own the resort, hahaha, just that i lived over in moses lake for about 25 years

troller931
Angler

Post by troller931 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:48 pm

the columbia basin does have a few good lakes to catch perch in---soda is one of them,but if you stay in the camp ground and have kids --please watch out for snakes--they do have them there and around all the lakes below potholes reservoir--a better place to stay,costs about 20.00 more would be at mar don's resort,and they have a large dock to fish off of--free if you camp there--if not it costs 5.00 a day per person, and no i don't own the resort, hahaha, just that i lived over in moses lake for about 25 years

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:57 pm

troller931 wrote:the columbia basin does have a few good lakes to catch perch in---soda is one of them,but if you stay in the camp ground and have kids --please watch out for snakes--they do have them there and around all the lakes below potholes reservoir--a better place to stay,costs about 20.00 more would be at mar don's resort,and they have a large dock to fish off of--free if you camp there--if not it costs 5.00 a day per person, and no i don't own the resort, hahaha, just that i lived over in moses lake for about 25 years
Potholes resevior is my favorite lake. And the mar don resort dock is my favorit place to fish in this lake, crab creek is a close second. But this lake is some 26,000 acres and to have the dock be my favorit places says something. The perch were kind of "gone" last year I only caught a couple dozen and none were that big. BUT, I was talking to an old timer and he said when they did their fall net surveys they were full of perch, so much that the WDFW biologists were concerned, :cheers: So hopefully this is the year. As long as they dont effect the crappie, and they walleye are still in the creek. Did you get to fish it at all last year?

YES, watch out for the rattelers. 3 memorial days ago we saw 1 and 2 years ago we saw at least 4, so watch your little ones and pets, and of course anybody who is a little too tipsy, not that fisherman bring beer when they fish:-"

Return to “Walleye and Panfish Sponsored By Mar Don Resort”