Double D's - No, make it triple!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Drewp
Commander

Double D's - No, make it triple!

Post by Drewp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:44 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experimented with rigging up a double dropshot or even triple. Sorry in advance if this thread has already been posted before. But it seems like you could put a couple/few different kinds of plastics on there and find out more quickly what the little bassholios are keying in on, on any given day.

Could you take this another step further and rig up a double jig set up the way you can rig up dropper flys for fly fishing? With a bigger jig running in front of a smaller one? Or what about a floating crank behind a jig?

I can see line foul-ups and snags being a definite possiblity. Skipping docks and the like also kind of goes out the window with this rig.

But then the possiblity of getting two fish at the same time comes into play. Would that be legal in a tourney? Can you imagine a double hookup with two behemoths on a double swim bait rig? Oh dag, I might have just pooped my pants! :-$

Here's to trying out some double D's this summer! :cheers:
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

bpm2000
Captain

RE:Double D's - No, make it triple!

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:50 pm

skipping with a dropshot is already weird anyways so not much of a drawback.

when i used to do it (I HATE dropshotting) I would do a jig on the bottom in lieu of the weight, and 2 hooks on top with two panic minnows. I never did get a double on a ds but i never really gave it much of a chance to really get one.

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:12 pm

you would have to speak to a wdlf rep to get a clear answer, there will be legalities into how many hooks you can have, if there is a limit.
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:16 pm

yeah, i was thinking about the legality of the number of hooks. I'm pretty sure that two is okay though...

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:18 pm

Drewp wrote: Sorry in advance if this thread has already been posted before
First of all, no need to be sorry. Members come and go, so different views are going to be expressed in similar topics that come up at different times.
I think it could work. I have yet to seriously put in time with a dropshot rig, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I think in some heavily populated smallie areas, I could see them fighting for two different plastics on your DS-rig. I don't see why it wouldn't be legal in just recreational methods. But in a tourney? Gonna have to contact the WDFW or scour your Rules pamphlet to find that. Maybe someone on here knows though..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 pm

I was thinking different double D's.... :-" Then you said triple D's and that got my attention.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:24 pm

kutthroatkilla wrote:I was thinking different double D's...man I gotta get that mind out of the gutter. :-"
"They built for comfort or built for speed? You motorboatin' SOB!"

:cheers:

Edgeran
Petty Officer

Post by Edgeran » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:25 pm

I really like the idea of setting up a drop shot using a jig as the weight. Not sure why I never thought of that. BOOYAH!!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 07, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Im 99% sure the regs are 3 hooks to a line.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 pm

Edgeran wrote:I really like the idea of setting up a drop shot using a jig as the weight. Not sure why I never thought of that. I'm gonna try it out tonight with Drewp dizzle!!! We're going to the canal in Freemont where he caught a nice smallie yesterday. BOOYAH!!!
Using a shakey head jig on the bottom would be your best bet because you work dropshots and shakeyheads the same way. Cast em out, let the weight hit the bottom, then jiggle gently. The biggest disadvantage of using a jig instead of a standard dropshot weight would be that you can't easily adjust height of the suspended bait without retying. #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 pm

bpm2000 wrote:Im 99% sure the regs are 3 hooks to a line.
yeah i agree.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:39 pm

100% sure have fun let us know how it works!!!!!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:42 pm

I don't think a jig would be the best bet. It would take a while to get to the bottom, and you don't want to go more than 3/16oz. Plus the hook setting, you need a sweep for the drop shot hook set vs the standard hook set of a jig.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:06 pm

kzoo wrote:I don't think a jig would be the best bet. It would take a while to get to the bottom, and you don't want to go more than 3/16oz. Plus the hook setting, you need a sweep for the drop shot hook set vs the standard hook set of a jig.
I dunno I've hooked my fair share the good 'ol way. I was using owner dshot hooks tho so I dont know that this makes a difference.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-ODSOW.html

But yea if you are working it deep it does take a while to get down there.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:56 pm

bpm2000 wrote:
kzoo wrote:I don't think a jig would be the best bet. It would take a while to get to the bottom, and you don't want to go more than 3/16oz. Plus the hook setting, you need a sweep for the drop shot hook set vs the standard hook set of a jig.
I dunno I've hooked my fair share the good 'ol way. I was using owner dshot hooks tho so I dont know that this makes a difference.

There is one reason I won't do the jig method. I fish rip rap a lot. I lose a lot of ds sinkers. You can lose 10 weights in less than an hour. A pack of 10 DS weights is about $3.00. One jig costs about the same. A loss of 10 jigs is a price I'd be reluctant to pay. $30.00 Ouch! Using a jig in my primary situation would be a disaster for the loss of lures. I know it works for some and that is cool. I am not against it, but I won't do it for that reason and what BPM said.

As for the multiple hook deal, I brought it up at a seminar last year that Ron Hobbs gave at OE. He said it worked but often was troublesome at times. I've been meaning to try it but as soon as I tie the first hook, I want to start fishing and say screw it. :farao:
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:07 pm

islandbass wrote:
bpm2000 wrote:

There is one reason I won't do the jig method. I fish rip rap a lot. I lose a lot of ds sinkers. You can lose 10 weights in less than an hour. A pack of 10 DS weights is about $3.00. One jig costs about the same. A loss of 10 jigs is a price I'd be reluctant to pay. $30.00 Ouch! Using a jig in my primary situation would be a disaster for the loss of lures. I know it works for some and that is cool. I am not against it, but I won't do it for that reason and what BPM said.

As for the multiple hook deal, I brought it up at a seminar last year that Ron Hobbs gave at OE. He said it worked but often was troublesome at times. I've been meaning to try it but as soon as I tie the first hook, I want to start fishing and say screw it. :farao:
10 for $3 is expensive! Why not just use an egg sinker + a small removable split shot? Heck, I can make slinky weights for about a nickel using buckshot and parachute cord. They are VERY snag-resistant... :thumright
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 pm

well as far as the number of hooks goes here it is from the 08-09 rule book pg 36 "Statewide Freshwater Rules" Tackle section:

"Hook and line angling only. Barbed or barbless
hooks may be used, and a hook may be
single-point, double, or treble, but not more
than one line with up to three hooks per angler
may be used
."

PJ
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<>< “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” --Doug Larson ><>

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:34 am

i hear ya on the rip-rap - and from the bank its way worse. I use a jig with a weedguard on it (trimmed higher than norm) if I use it in that application.

oh and for sinkers - split shots or buy a coil of lead hollowcore, and pinch on the amount needed. I think buying DS weights is not very economical #-o
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:48 am

And I am 75% sure that this does not mean I can't use a large lure with 4 hooks on it. I think the interpretation is three lures, or three hooks if each represent a lure (such as bait fishing). That would be a good question for the F & W, but ask more than one person, each may give you a different answer.

Nevertheless, I don't have any 4 hook lures (Flatfish use to come with two-two hook harness on some of their large sizes, back before the were sold) anymore and I can't think of the last time wanted to use one.:-"

Still, the jig on the bottom and something on top will work pretty well. I have done this while ice fishing for 30 years. I also use to put one jig on the bottom and one about 3' up when working for White Bass, and it did catch doubles often. Of course, as others have mentioned, it is condition specific. It still works at Roosevelt for Walleye when they are on the sand flats, but there are no snags to speak of. As for ice fishing, well you don't snag up very often.

Using more than one rig on a drop shot rig, ya, it works. Again, it works best if you are not moving laterally across the bottom, or if there is little or no snag problem. I find that the second rig dampens the life from the first, and sometimes that reduces the catches, but...................................at times it is a killer.

I doub't I was the first to use Drop Shot rigs, if I was, I was not smart enough to claim it, but I started doing what they call drop shot when I was a kid, maybe 35 to 40 years ago. Of course then I used a split shot(s) on the end of the line. When snaged, they pull off and I get all but a few cents back. That is the whole reason I fooled around with the method. I will admit that I am using more and more DS weights now. I do like the fact the swivel, that is built into the ones I use, keeps the line from twisting as bad if I am rigging and moving the rig laterally as well as vertically. I have attached a swivel about 2 feet above the shot, but it seems to take a little of the productivity out of the offering.

Trying new methods is a learning experience. You might just stumble into the next "Lindy Rig", or the next "Swim Bait" method.

Study the regs, than go for it.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:54 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
And I am 75% sure that this does not mean I can't use a large lure with 4 hooks on it. I think the interpretation is three lures, or three hooks if each represent a lure (such as bait fishing). That would be a good question for the F & W, but ask more than one person, each may give you a different answer.

Yes, 3 Individual hooks/lures along the line, if that wasn't clear enough for ya.