I can not believe it!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

I can not believe it!

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:20 am

King 5 noon news reported that the states of Oregon and Washington are now capturing and transporting California Sea Lions from Bonneville Dam. It was reported that the sea lions are being transported to Tacoma! What's up with that?

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:I can not believe it!

Post by kevinb » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:24 am

Tacoma? What the f...? I don't know why they would do that. Oh wait...the government knows what its doing.:-"

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 am

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

April 23, 2008

(cell) 360-480-1227
ODFW - Rick Hargrave, 503-947-6020
(cell) 503-559-1592

[NEWS ADVISORY: See options for news coverage at the end of this news release.]

Sea lion relocation to begin tomorrow (April 24)

OLYMPIA-The Washington and Oregon departments of Fish and Wildlife plan to begin relocating a number of California sea lions tomorrow morning from the Columbia River to several zoological facilities across the country.

Any relocated animals will be those identified as preying on federally protected endangered and threatened salmon and steelhead in waters immediately below Bonneville Dam. The sea lions are adult males that migrate seasonally from the coast of California to feed on runs of salmon and steelhead returning to the Columbia River. They target fish that congregate below the dam before passing up the dam's fish ladders.

In March, the National Marine Fisheries Service granted Washington, Oregon and Idaho the authority to remove up to 85 identified California sea lions annually in an effort to reduce the animals' impact on protected fish.

The states first priority is relocate as many of the identified California sea lions as possible to federally approved zoos and aquariums. So far, placements have been found for up to 20 sea lions.

The states' plan is to relocate animals was not affected by today's ruling by the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco that temporarily prohibits using lethal means to deter predation on protected salmon and steelhead by California sea lions. The court is expected to hear arguments on that issue in early May.

The legal challenge was filed by the Humane Society of the United States, the Wild Fish Conservancy and two private citizens.

A team of marine mammal biologists plan to capture marked sea lions in live traps on floating barges near the dam, and transfer them in cages to specially equipped horse trailers for their journey to a temporary quarantine facility, before they are flown to designated zoological facilities.

The trapping operation is expected to continue on various days for several weeks.

The affected sea lions are part of a robust West Coast population that since 2001 has been seasonally feeding on federally protected salmon and steelhead below the dam.

Despite three years of efforts to deter them, sea lions consumed more than 4 percent of the returning spring chinook salmon run last year, in just the area visible to observers on the dam. As of this week, approximately 50 sea lions were observed feeding on salmon and steelhead immediately below the dam. A single California sea lion consumes an average of seven salmon per day.

"Sea lion predation at the base of Bonneville Dam is a new and significant threat to recovery of Columbia River ESA-listed salmon and detracts from efforts to reduce impacts on protected fish from other sectors-including fisheries, habitat modifications, hatchery and dam operations," said Guy Norman, regional director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's southwest regional office. "Hundreds of millions of dollars of salmon-recovery investments could be compromised if sea lion impacts are not managed as well."

MEDIA ADVISORY: Thursday's trapping activities can be observed at a distance from the Washington shore of the Columbia River. Possibly as early as next week, participating agencies plan to give credentialed members of the news media a closer view from a restricted area at Bonneville Dam. To register for any special viewing opportunities next week, members of the news media must contact Rick Hargrave at the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife no later than 3 p.m. Friday, April 25 at (503) 947-6020. There will be no exceptions to the requirement for prior registration, and members of the media must present their credentials to participate. To register, please provide the names of any accompanying staff, the name of your news organization and contact phone numbers.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:36 am

Toni wrote:WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

April 23, 2008

(cell) 360-480-1227
ODFW - Rick Hargrave, 503-947-6020
(cell) 503-559-1592

[NEWS ADVISORY: See options for news coverage at the end of this news release.]

Sea lion relocation to begin tomorrow (April 24)

OLYMPIA-The Washington and Oregon departments of Fish and Wildlife plan to begin relocating a number of California sea lions tomorrow morning from the Columbia River to several zoological facilities across the country.

Any relocated animals will be those identified as preying on federally protected endangered and threatened salmon and steelhead in waters immediately below Bonneville Dam. The sea lions are adult males that migrate seasonally from the coast of California to feed on runs of salmon and steelhead returning to the Columbia River. They target fish that congregate below the dam before passing up the dam's fish ladders.

In March, the National Marine Fisheries Service granted Washington, Oregon and Idaho the authority to remove up to 85 identified California sea lions annually in an effort to reduce the animals' impact on protected fish.

The states first priority is relocate as many of the identified California sea lions as possible to federally approved zoos and aquariums. So far, placements have been found for up to 20 sea lions.

The states' plan is to relocate animals was not affected by today's ruling by the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco that temporarily prohibits using lethal means to deter predation on protected salmon and steelhead by California sea lions. The court is expected to hear arguments on that issue in early May.

The legal challenge was filed by the Humane Society of the United States, the Wild Fish Conservancy and two private citizens.

A team of marine mammal biologists plan to capture marked sea lions in live traps on floating barges near the dam, and transfer them in cages to specially equipped horse trailers for their journey to a temporary quarantine facility, before they are flown to designated zoological facilities.

The trapping operation is expected to continue on various days for several weeks.

The affected sea lions are part of a robust West Coast population that since 2001 has been seasonally feeding on federally protected salmon and steelhead below the dam.

Despite three years of efforts to deter them, sea lions consumed more than 4 percent of the returning spring chinook salmon run last year, in just the area visible to observers on the dam. As of this week, approximately 50 sea lions were observed feeding on salmon and steelhead immediately below the dam. A single California sea lion consumes an average of seven salmon per day.

"Sea lion predation at the base of Bonneville Dam is a new and significant threat to recovery of Columbia River ESA-listed salmon and detracts from efforts to reduce impacts on protected fish from other sectors-including fisheries, habitat modifications, hatchery and dam operations," said Guy Norman, regional director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's southwest regional office. "Hundreds of millions of dollars of salmon-recovery investments could be compromised if sea lion impacts are not managed as well."

MEDIA ADVISORY: Thursday's trapping activities can be observed at a distance from the Washington shore of the Columbia River. Possibly as early as next week, participating agencies plan to give credentialed members of the news media a closer view from a restricted area at Bonneville Dam. To register for any special viewing opportunities next week, members of the news media must contact Rick Hargrave at the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife no later than 3 p.m. Friday, April 25 at (503) 947-6020. There will be no exceptions to the requirement for prior registration, and members of the media must present their credentials to participate. To register, please provide the names of any accompanying staff, the name of your news organization and contact phone numbers.
Thanks Toni, I feel my blood pressure starting to go down. If the city of Tacoma aquarium wants sea lions why doesn't it just go down the hill and pluck one from the docks at the marina? Oh well, Maybe someday the bleeding hearts will recognize that man has created the problem and should manage it. There are far to many sea lions - just ask anyone from San Francisco.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:48 pm

stampie wrote:King 5 noon news reported that the states of Oregon and Washington are now capturing and transporting California Sea Lions from Bonneville Dam. It was reported that the sea lions are being transported to Tacoma! What's up with that?
We were going to kill around 80 of them until some people went to good old liberal San Fran and got a judge to put a hold on that...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
stampie wrote:King 5 noon news reported that the states of Oregon and Washington are now capturing and transporting California Sea Lions from Bonneville Dam. It was reported that the sea lions are being transported to Tacoma! What's up with that?
We were going to kill around 80 of them until some people went to good old liberal San Fran and got a judge to put a hold on that...
You can thank PETA and the Humane Society for that one. Crazy stuff...these lions should all be popped.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

kavykid2k6
Warrant Officer

Post by kavykid2k6 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:21 pm

that is why the .223 stays in the boat, we get them in the stilly all the time
Fishing the waters of the stilly, sky and snoho and the lakes of
North Snohomish county-- and my pond

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:25 pm

kavykid2k6 wrote:that is why the .223 stays in the boat, we get them in the stilly all the time
I've heard some guys say they've seen em on the Sky near the Wallace River....IN AUGUST chasing up Pinks...
That thing would have to walk from the mouth of the Sky all the way up to the Wallace in August...

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:09 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:
kavykid2k6 wrote:that is why the .223 stays in the boat, we get them in the stilly all the time
I've heard some guys say they've seen em on the Sky near the Wallace River....IN AUGUST chasing up Pinks...
That thing would have to walk from the mouth of the Sky all the way up to the Wallace in August...
I fish the Sky almost daily during the summer pink run and I have never seen them that far up. The furthest up I have seen them is between 522 and the mouth of the Sky on the Snohomish. I would be astounded if I ever saw them that far (the mouth of the Wallace). I have a feeling that you were being told fish stories. I navigate the lower Sky in August when most other people can't and I doubt with the difficulty of this stretch of river that a sealion would even consider going up unless he was starving, which I can't see a sealion being during a humpy run.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote: I've heard some guys say they've seen em on the Sky near the Wallace River....IN AUGUST chasing up Pinks...
That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've seen them all the way up the Sammamish River gorging on cutthroat trout when I was golfing Wayne's Golf Course this year. They will go to any length for a meal...and them cutties are prime targets in LW and in the slough or Sammamish River...they are wild thangs.

kavykid2k6
Warrant Officer

Post by kavykid2k6 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:30 pm

they follow a food source, if the get on a school of fish they will follow them, i have seen them below the freeway on the stilly and thats about fifteen miles away from the salt. and i have seen them up by the forks in the snohomish. but last year i started arradicating them. we watched two of them in the stilly playin catch with the humpies, just kill them and let them float down the river. so i followed in there praactice

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:33 pm

mallard83 wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:
I fish the Sky almost daily during the summer pink run and I have never seen them that far up. The furthest up I have seen them is between 522 and the mouth of the Sky on the Snohomish. I would be astounded if I ever saw them that far (the mouth of the Wallace). I have a feeling that you were being told fish stories. I navigate the lower Sky in August when most other people can't and I doubt with the difficulty of this stretch of river that a sealion would even consider going up unless he was starving, which I can't see a sealion being during a humpy run.
I've been told it twice by two different guys...Again, I'm just relaying what I've heard, but who knows...I would figure the dang sealion would wade all the way up the Sky in August...But I guess they were up there ACCORDING to what I was told...

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 pm

kavykid2k6 wrote: but last year i started erradicating them. We watched two of them in the Stilly playin catch with the humpies, just kill them and let them float down the river. so i followed in there praactice
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but you shot at them? Are you talking about killing the fish and letting the fish float down the river, or are you shooting/killing the sea lions and they are floating down the river?

That would be a crime on a Federal level. Perhaps you're talking about something else that I'm not understanding. Shooting these creatures is against the law and will get you years in jail.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cant sleep
Petty Officer

Post by cant sleep » Sat May 03, 2008 11:09 am

thats crap-ola.. i was just out there a couple weeks. running the bugs out of the boat.. and ran over to point defiance.. its getting to the point the seals are going to out number the birds........ that area used to be a fine area to spend the day.. its gone....... thoughs were the days.... just memories.... now its another childhood fantasy of how things use to be..

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat May 03, 2008 11:35 am

kavykid2k6 wrote: but last year i started erradicating them. We watched two of them in the Stilly playin catch with the humpies, just kill them and let them float down the river. so i followed in there praactice
ummm...

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:42 pm

It's rare that I don't see a sea-lion out in the salt now if I'm out there fishing for a while....I see them in the summer on EVERY single bouy, especially the one off Double Bluff and the two on Possession, east and west marker...

I see a ton of porpoises too. Sometimes pods of 20-30 out in Area 9. Those things are sure friendly...They don't mind you and seem to like coming close to boats...

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Sat May 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:I see them in the summer on EVERY single bouy, especially the one off Double Bluff and the two on Possession, east and west marker...
Kinda like these two maybe? I believe they love this bouy. Friend of mine took this shot on his boat after we fished the sunken ferry together and emailed it to me. I have some others and they were stealing some lings off peoples fishing rods as well. This dude was tagged in the far right rear end by fisheries cause you can see some numbering it looks like. My buddy said it was like "HCXXXX" - or something like that. They were everywhere out there. Darn lions.

KTK

Attachments
Lions.JPG
Lions.JPG (95.62 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 03, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cant sleep
Petty Officer

Post by cant sleep » Sat May 03, 2008 2:01 pm

well i will say one thing? the big males i noticed were smacking the crap out of the dog fish. this was at the passage way from the pt defaince to the narrows.. diving down 140 to 200ft cleaning house on the pesky saw tooths.. it was driving the birds nuts...... but at the same time they would feast whatever was swimming bye... proubly the only thing i havnt seen them throw in to the air was maybe a large skate.. there pigs.. they have pretty much invaded the flats to 250Ft range at pt d to delco... i think its time for a bounty........... how about the state gives a reward.. kinda like that pretator squaw fish..... what is it 3 bucks a fish on the columbia...... i cant see any difference between the two...

kavykid2k6
Warrant Officer

Post by kavykid2k6 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:06 pm

they were lettin the fish float, i have never shot a sea lion but i have shot at them.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat May 03, 2008 4:22 pm

kavykid2k6 wrote:... i have never shot a sea lion but i have shot at them.

ummmm....
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 03, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.