Fishing BC lakes and beyond

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Fishing BC lakes and beyond

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 pm

Has anyone fished the lakes along ”The Fishing Highway 24” in BC, Canada? The wife and I will be fishing our way to Alaska in late May. Any suggestions ???
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Fishing BC lakes and beyond

Post by kevinb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:07 pm

stampie wrote:Has anyone fished the lakes along ”The Fishing Highway 24” in BC, Canada? The wife and I will be fishing our way to Alaska in late May. Any suggestions ???
Stampie,...that sounds like an awesome adventure. I have fished tons of lakes in Canada (B.C.) However not that section. Give me a couple days. I have a couple buddies from Vancouver (BC) Fire. They fish all over the region. I'll give them a call.

KurtO
Warrant Officer

Post by KurtO » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:41 am

Stampie, B.C. has to be one of the most beautiful places I have ever fished. The best fishing the world can offer in my opinion.

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:38 am

Fished a lake west of 100 Mile House last year for kamloop rainbows and it was fantastic. I'm not a very good flyfisherman but I caught my largest fish of the trip (5+ pounds) on a fly. Watch out for game on the road, almost had bambi on the hood a couple of times.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:21 am

I've fished some of the ones on your map and also fished ones out highway 20. Also fished ones around Merritt.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:09 pm

You guys are awesome……..! Keep the info coming – thanks.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:23 pm

How much time can you spend while passing through?

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:02 pm

kevinb wrote:How much time can you spend while passing through?
our trek thru bc and the yukon should take us about 15 days......... That will give us time to fish and hike along the way. With the cost of fuel it will probably be awhile before we return so we want to make the best of it. Thanks for all the info.

Bob

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:50 pm

stampie wrote:
kevinb wrote:How much time can you spend while passing through?
our trek thru bc and the yukon should take us about 15 days......... That will give us time to fish and hike along the way. With the cost of fuel it will probably be awhile before we return so we want to make the best of it. Thanks for all the info.

Bob
Are you planning on crossing to Alaska through Dawson's Creek?
I'll get you some concrete info. tomorrow. My buddies from Vancouver travel/fish all these areas. They know them well.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:24 pm

.[/quote]Are you planning on crossing to Alaska through Dawson's Creek?
I'll get you some concrete info. tomorrow. My buddies from Vancouver travel/fish all these areas. They know them well.[/quote]

We plan to follow the Fraser River drainage up highway #1 until it intersects with #97 and then head toward Prince George and Dawson Creek. There is a cutoff before Dawson Creek that takes you to Fort St. John that saves quite a few miles so we will probably go that way and skip Dawson Creek. Then we will follow the ALCAN all the way to Alaska. During this time we plan to take side trips to who knows where. After looking at pictures on some of the RV sites along the way I think I need to buy a bigger rod!

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:18 am

No.... theres no fish in BC............ but the fishin in Wa state is good........... lmbo

Cheers
The Chironomid Guy

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:18 am

I've fished Sheridan and Bridge Lakes and they both produced some quality trout.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:30 am

mallard83 wrote:I've fished Sheridan and Bridge Lakes and they both produced some quality trout.
What was your method for success? When did you fish them?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:49 pm

stampie wrote:
mallard83 wrote:I've fished Sheridan and Bridge Lakes and they both produced some quality trout.
What was your method for success? When did you fish them?
It has been about 8-10 yrs since I fished them last but I have to imagine that the fishing is still good. I only fished these two lakes for a couple of hours each because we were just passing through on our way to a more remote body of water called Nimpo Lake. In those couple hours I did manage to catch a bunch of rainbows from shore that averaged about 12"-14" with a couple of larger ones in the 16"-20" range. I was just tossing rooster tails, small rapalas and spoons from shore. The spoons seemed to do the best. I also noticed that the boat anglers on this lake were doing well trolling spoons.

I can't remember exactly where Nimpo Lake is but I do remember that we had to drive about 30 or so miles on gravel roads to reach it. It was a very good lake, probably because it is so far out of the way. We caught a ton of Bows that were 16"-24" trolling small spoons on leaded line.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Hey Stampie,just letting you know I havn't forgot about ya'. Its been hectic the last couple days and then I'm trying to get them when their off shift. Hang on just a 'bit.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:23 pm

kevinb wrote:Hey Stampie,just letting you know I havn't forgot about ya'. Its been hectic the last couple days and then I'm trying to get them when their off shift. Hang on just a 'bit.
No problem. I am in standby mode for a least another 15 days. Thanks for the help!