river lures?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Xiphias Gladius
Petty Officer

river lures?

Post by Xiphias Gladius » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:52 pm

I'm not sure what to use in a deep slow river for stocked trout with my spinning rod. I have all week next week to catch trout in Massachusetts for april vacation. I have access to a kayak. Any tips or techniques for a new trout river fisherman.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:river lures?

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:57 pm

try spin-n-glow and worms here for sure! easy to carry/set up and it will work! I use a size 6 hook, 4 pound leader, below a 1/4 oz. sliding weight and swivel. You can just drift with the river and that will be the perfect speed.
Good luck :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:02 pm

I would either drift a worm or throw some jigs. But plunking some sort of bait would also cross my mind. Kastmasters Krocodiles and blue foxes would also be one of my set ups.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:05 pm

If it's deep, try some 1/8 or 1/16oz jigs...Wooly bugger in olive or black or brown should take some fish. If they are all stocked fish, then go ahead and also try some bright spoons/spinners...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Can't go wrong with salmon roe in a river under a clear bobber with 3-4ft leader of 2-4lb test, good luck!!

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:12 am

One thing that works great in slow moving rivers is Trout Magnet. You can pick them up at Wal-Mart or go to their web site.
Trout Magnet Site
Even if you buy them at Wal-Mart you should go to the web site because they have some really good totourials on how to use them. Basically they are a 1/64 oz jig or actually a "dart" with a split-tail grub on them. The dart shape causes them to sink in a more natural fashion. They come with a small float and I would recommend you use their float because it is just the right amount of bouancy for the lure. You set them under the bobber so they are just off the floor of the river and let them drift with the current. If you use them in still water (I use them in Lacamas and Round Lakes) you just let them settle from the cast and twitch them every few seconds. The hit is almost always on the fall.

Good luck!

BTW I usually start with black and move to char if I get no response...experiment with the colors.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:06 pm

Panther Martins and SuperDupers!!!

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Rooster Tails

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:try spin-n-glow and worms here for sure! easy to carry/set up and it will work! I use a size 6 hook, 4 pound leader, below a 1/4 oz. sliding weight and swivel. You can just drift with the river and that will be the perfect speed.
Good luck :cheers:
What sizes/colors of spin-n-glow do you like? Are the ones with rubber wings better than the ones with rigid wings?
Piscatory Geekus Maximus