What to do with old wedding rings!!

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishing collector
Captain

What to do with old wedding rings!!

Post by fishing collector » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 am

I ran across this and thought I would add this to the wedding ring topics I think anyone can figure out how to do this......at least the fly guys will figure it out....
Attachments
Jewled_spider.from_wedding_rig.jpg
Jewled_spider.from_wedding_rig.jpg (75.71 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Awoods
Warrant Officer

RE:What to do with old wedding rings!!

Post by Awoods » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:36 am

If Iwere a fish, I would definently fall for that. Never seen it before, looks like a nice sttractant.

Jay S
Petty Officer

Post by Jay S » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Find a new women to give them to. Sorry couldnt help my self I love bad jokes. I tie my own steelhead jigs and have made similiar rigs thats cool.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:08 pm

Those "wedding ring" bands are called "rondelle beads".

Depending on where you look (jewelry and craft stores), they cost anywhere from 20 cents to 1 dollar each. There's a couple bead sellers on Ebay that sell them in bulk of 100 beads, for around 10 bucks plus shipping.

I haven't made them into jigs like in the pic, but it's pretty easy to make your own wedding ring spinners.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:09 pm

She must have had small fingers! LOL

Seriously, it's a cool idea. Have you tried it out on panfish?

trout slayer
Petty Officer

Post by trout slayer » Thu May 01, 2008 11:39 pm

wow thats cool.. im to lazy when i do use one i will end up throwing it away the leader always gets in the way and gets scared up trying to wind it up and find a place to put it...
10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish

mikecrawford16
Petty Officer

Post by mikecrawford16 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:10 am

that is a very creative idea to use an old wedding ring! So how many fish have you cought with the new jig? Man I give you props to that new creation

mikecrawford16
Petty Officer

Post by mikecrawford16 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:11 am

that is a very creative idea to use an old wedding ring! So how many fish have you cought with the new jig? Man I give you props to that new creation

mikecrawford16
Petty Officer

Post by mikecrawford16 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:12 am

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri May 02, 2008 8:21 am

I do like those. On a jig head, tipped with a maggot. Ill bet they will kill crappie and other pan fish.

But like Shad said you can always tie a new wedding ring up. It was mentioned how hard they are to store (and they are) but just cut off the hook, throw away the line and put the beads, blades, clevises and hooks in a pill bottle and just throw everything on a piece of line next time you need a wedding ring.

The leader that Macks (and other brands wedding rings) is way to heavy. I would say its between 10lb and 14lb test and probably not the best quality line. I like 4lb test (avoid fluoro. too many line twist) and 6 or 8lb test for double whammys.