Thoughts on Float tubes...

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
jojo
Petty Officer

RE:Thoughts on Float tubes...

Post by jojo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Hi Sam,

I'm in the same position but I think I am getting a float tube also. I have a boat but I just think it's easier to hop into a float tube and get out there when you want. I'm thinking about getting the Trout Unlimited Togiak at Joe's for $139.99. It has a raised seat and seems to have a actual back rest for better support. I'm going to day to pick it up.

J

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:09 pm

jojo wrote:Hi Sam,

I'm in the same position but I think I am getting a float tube also. I have a boat but I just think it's easier to hop into a float tube and get out there when you want. I'm thinking about getting the Trout Unlimited Togiak at Joe's for $139.99. It has a raised seat and seems to have a actual back rest for better support. I'm going to day to pick it up.

J
jojo,
From what I've been told, the Creek Company ODC 420 that Joes is a better tube and I think it's only $10-$20 more. I'm not knocking on the Togiak, but I have been told that the ODC 420 has a higher raised seat and is a bit nicer of a tube...

Lemme know how you like whatever you buy....The more I know about it when it comes time to buy it, the better...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

jojo
Petty Officer

Post by jojo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:27 pm

You are right Sam. I called the Outdoor Emporium (Phone (206) 624-6550) and they have the Creek Co. ODC420 for $160. It is a cross between a float tube and a pontoon. The seat is raised so you are sitting out of the water and it has an adjustable back rest. The cool thing is it has an area in the back for a cooler. The downside is it doesn't have rod holders.

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:28 pm

I have one of those cheap priced but allright qaulity Wal-Mart float tubes.Its the Teton honestly I prefer fishing out of it compared to my Sevylor Fish Hunter and it has a electric trolling motor.I bought some snorkling fins to push me around the water.They are U.S. Divers.I had a pair of Caddis fins but one day on the my mom was out on her float tube and zoomed right by me.I was stunned at the time I was 27 and she is in her 50s.I was like how did she do that.So a little embaressed I asked her how.Then she revieled her secret.These fins here is the link to them.Needless to say I now have a pair.http://www.usdivers.com/pages/finadlt_blast.html
These are worth looking into.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:55 pm

This is the tube I use. Like I said, $89 at Sportsman's warehouse

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<>< “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” --Doug Larson ><>

jojo
Petty Officer

Post by jojo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:56 am

Picked up the following float tube setup yesterday at the Outdoor Emporium yesterday.

ODC 420 by Creek Co $159.99 (The seems to be a really good price but ProP-Junkie seems to have gotten the real deal at Sportsman's)
Stearns Breathable Stocking Foot Stretch Wader $108.00 (was 25% off is why I went to this price point)
Fins by Creek Co $34.99 (I think this is a bit high for fins so I may go out and get cheaper ones)
Coleman Electric Pump $16.99
2 Velcro Straps $.99 each (added these to strap on my extra pole)

I recieved an additional 5% off for being an Outdoor Emporium member.

I plan on heading to Beaver later today to try out my new gear. Hopefully I get some return on my investment right away ;-)

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:15 pm

This is a really good thread.
As far as a pontoon vs a float tube, you are certainly going to need something different for each situation. I have taken my Pontoon out on the sound and traveled several miles, you probably would not do that in a float tube. You can troll much easier in a Pontoon.
On the other hand, I don't see myself hiking into a mountain lake with my pontoon boat on my back.
I bought my Pontoon boat, its a Creek Company at the Duffle Bag for $240 last year. I have had a Caddis float tube and prefer it to the browning I have now. The outer material on the browning wore out right away.

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I have a couple buddies that have the Creek Company ODC 420 and love it. If I were to buy a tube, this would be the one!
Pressin' Fish On!

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Mine is a CC ODC Sport XL. It is listed as $279 on there website.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:21 pm

I would choose a float tube. I have used my buddies float tube a couple times and it's great.
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Well thanks to a late check from my former employer (somehow it went missing. Anyways, it means I'm getting money for it) I have a little more funding to go towards a new boat. So a Pontoon boat is a more feasible option. Anyone got any suggestions for that road? Or am I better off opting for a high quality float tube vs. a mid-low quality pontoon boat?

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Check out the Water Skeeter pontoons. They are a little pricey but worth the money. I love mine and have had it for years, I have the River Tamer model that I bought from Oregonfishing.com.

http://www.oregonfishing.com/pontoon-bo ... tegoryID=5

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Mallard,
How much would I have to spend to get a decent pontoon boat? I don't wanna buy some cheap thing that will crap out in a year or two (or less..) but I don't wanna spend a lot of money, because I already have a Lund aluminum boat that is all setup for fishing lakes. I'm just thinking of going for a float tube or pontoon boat for fishing some small lakes by myself. I don't wanna go with something real expensive but if I find that a decent pontoon boat is available in my price range, I'll opt up for that....

Thanks everyone for the information so far. It has been very good stuff and we haven't had too many good "Float tube" threads for a while. This will be a good one for others to come back to down the road when searching through past threads...
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:22 pm

One of the neatest things about fishing from a "real" boat is that you can bring a half-dozen rods, which allows you to try a variety of lures without re-tying. I know some bassheads who never hit the water with less than 10. (4 large spinning, 4 baitcasting, and a couple of ultralights.)

Bass anglers are weird (myself included)... :jocolor:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:38 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:One of the neatest things about fishing from a "real" boat is that you can bring a half-dozen rods, which allows you to try a variety of lures without re-tying. I know some bassheads who never hit the water with less than 10. (4 large spinning, 4 baitcasting, and a couple of ultralights.)

I already have a 12' Lund and do a lot of fishing out of it. It is definitely a nice setup. But sometimes I do not have that with me because we keep it at our cabin and even though I am up there A LOT, there are still times I fish around my house and am without a boat. I used to have a Sevylor Fish Hunter model, but it ended up getting a bunch of holes and was a little to cheap for my liking...
I just need something inflatable that I can stick in my trunk and take to lakes...

I'm starting to like these sorta boats...
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Nicer then that Fish Hunter I had and it keeps me out of the water and allows me to bring passengers AND more gear...

But if I go float tube, I think I'll pick up the Fish Cat 4.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:47 am

HillbillyGeek wrote:One of the neatest things about fishing from a "real" boat is that you can bring a half-dozen rods, which allows you to try a variety of lures without re-tying. I know some bassheads who never hit the water with less than 10. (4 large spinning, 4 baitcasting, and a couple of ultralights.)

Good point for bassers. :)

If I were to get a float tube, this is the situation I wish to resolve, and that is having at least two other rods near me. The other minus for me is that my fishing stints are usually under 2 hours each time and I don't know if I am willing to give up too much time to set up and break down.

May I add to the mix what float tubers have done to bring at least an extra rod or two?

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:54 am

islandbass wrote:

May I add to the mix what float tubers have done to bring at least an extra rod or two?
I haven't figured that one out. Not much room to move around in a float tube, any extra rods are going to be in the way. I have seen some guys however that stick an extra rod behind there back and have it sticking up in the air behind them.

islandbass
Commander

Post by islandbass » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Jake Dogfish wrote:
islandbass wrote:

I haven't figured that one out. Not much room to move around in a float tube, any extra rods are going to be in the way. I have seen some guys however that stick an extra rod behind there back and have it sticking up in the air behind them.
Thanks. I've thought of that, but knowing how clumsy I am, I know I'd find a way to get it tangled up.

I have an idea in mind and it was one of the initial reasons why I built my rod quiver. It might seem a bit silly, but I think if I modify it right, it won't get in the way of casting and, I envision it attached via a leash to the float tube. With it, I think I could take 3-4 rigs if I wanted to. I just need to buy two of crab pot floats (I think that's what they're called) and a float tube of course.:farao: