Thoughts on Float tubes...

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Thoughts on Float tubes...

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:46 pm

I'm thinking about making a purchase of either a float tube, or *maybe* even a pontoon boat, depending on the feedback I recieve...

I'm willing to spend more for a better (quality wise) product but do not want to go all out on this purchase. I'd love to get the tab for the float tube alone under $200. I've been looking at several products:
-Fish Cat 4 ($160 at Cabelas)
-Classic Accessories Togiak (I think like $140)
-Fat Cat 4 Deluxe (which is over $200)
-Creek Company ODC 420 (Over $200 most places online but Joes has em for like $160??)

First off, does anyone have any recommendations or reviews about any of these products? I've talked with fishnislife who recently purchased the Togiak tube, but am wondering if anyone of you folks have any sort of experience or knowledge on any of these products or have another good option I should look at?

I will predominately be using a float tube for fishing small lakes (trout and bass) and would like to get some helpful advice so I can make a good purchase. I will be putting this in the trunk of my car and driving to local lakes when I have some free time and believe that a float tube fits the bill correctly.

Advice?

I've been looking at reviews online and have some ideas of what I *think* I'll be going for. Obviously I'd like to get the best product for the best price.

And then waders? What do you suggest there? Cabela's, Hodgman? Neoprene? What about Wading boots? Fins?

Thanks in advance. Any information is much appreciated.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

mallard83
Commodore

RE:Thoughts on Float tubes...

Post by mallard83 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:48 pm

I have both a Caddis float tube and a Water Skeeter pontoon boat and I personally use my pontoon about 99% more often than I use the tube. I prefer the pontoon over the tube because it is a lot easier to use, such as get from one spot on the water to the next a lot faster with less effort, manuever better and more room. My pontoon is also river rated so I take a good number of floats for salmon and steelhead, so I am not just stuck to lake and pond fishing like with a float tube.

The down sides to a pontoon are; takes longer to inflate, more expensive (especially if you get a river rated one), it is heavier and doesn't store in the closet as nicely.

The pontoon is my prefered choice of the two, but it is all in preference and what you will be using it for. For now, knowing that you are going to school and such and probably are not working with very much money my suggestion would be to go with the tube. I say this because I was in a similar situation and I just bought a decent tube at the time and waited until down the road a little to get a nice pontoon. I will never get rid of either until they wear out and have to buy new ones because there is a time and place that I will use one or the other at some point and when that day comes I am always prepared.

Oh btw, chest waders are a must with a tube unless fishing in the hot days of summer. With a pontoon you can get away with just wearing shorts and an old pair of shoes or sandals when the weather is not as nice. You will also need a pair of fins with the tube, I have done the no fins in the tube thing and it is about as miserable as you can get.

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:49 pm

hodgeman waders and a u-shaped tube. I dont like the donut tubes, they seem slower and with a u-tube I feel like I use more muscle in my leg therefore more power. get some wool socks if you dont have any also. I just went out a week ago or so and my feet were numb within 20 minutes.(of course I didnt have on the wool socks)

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Well here is my opinion for what its worth. I have a float tube. For the life of me, I cant remember the name of it... G.G. something. Looks just like the fish cats though. I paid $89 at Sportsman’s warehouse in Spokane valley. It is nice. The only real complaint I have is, the seat and back that you sit on is inflatable. There isn't a lot of back support. Makes trying to be out all day in it a real pain. (Seriously). Looking at the tubes you suggested I wouldn't pay all that for em if you can help it. Seems all the storage space is about the same so why pay more if you don’t have to.

If it were me I would spent the $300 and get a pontoon, but i like being on the water more than in it. 8-[

If you do decide to go with the float tube, here are 3 essential tips: Get an air mattress inflator. Coleman sells a super cheap one that takes 2 D batt.

Go to Wal-mart and buy a pair of diving flippers for less than $20. I’ve seen "float tube" flippers cost a couple hundred....why???:thumbdown

Buy an anchor. The least amount of kicking you have to do the happier you will be, trust me.

Hope I was helpful

PJ
<>< “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” --Doug Larson ><>

David Z.
Petty Officer

Post by David Z. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Sorry Sam right after I posted the offer on the pontoon a friend called and asked if I still wanted to sell it so he is on the way over to pick it up. I would go for a pontoon over a float tube you are up out of the water and you can get around better with oars then use flippers to hold your position while casting. Joe's has the same toon on sale this week for 179.00 reg 239.99 it's a good rig but I like my 12' with the electric motor better.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Awoods
Warrant Officer

Post by Awoods » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Ive never seen anyone carry an anchor in their float tube

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Hey Sam, I don't know much about float tubes. However I own 2 pontoon boats that I use for fly and standard fishing. I love these things. I typically use them in smaller bodies of water but in the summer,I use them all the time on Lake Cushman. Their great and even at times my wife and I will pull them out and just relax and explore lakes.
Which ever you choose I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:25 pm

with the prices you mentioned, factoring in good waders and it's almost a wash for a pontoon boat. Funny how these prices keep coming down. Costco - 8ft pontoon that looks pretty darn nice, $299. Definately get a U-shaped tube if you go that route.

Tube advantage as mentioned - small storage, less hassles. Quick to get on the water. You will get wet. I've yet to find a wader that hasn't leaked.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:51 pm

First thing I would think about is what kind of shoreline(rocky,shallow mudflats,shoreline that drops into deepwater,boat launch) that you would launch from.Pontoons work on most locations where float tubes really suck on shallow mud flats and rocky/boulder shoreline especially to get out of the water.
Next, what kind of underwater stucture are you going to be fishing near/in. Dangling feet from a float tube can get snared in branches/brush and it is hard to extract yourself.

How mobile do you want to be? float tubes can be carried in long distances where pontoons are limited even with the wheeled cart.

I have had both,now I just have my float tube.Reasons are,
Its more fun when you hook into a big fish that pulls you about.I like the ability of turning on a pinpoint while fighting the fish.
Always having your hands free(not rowing).Better control (less drift) in strong winds. These last two are why I kept the float tube.I really bought the pontoon to fish one lake that required a 100+ ft slog through fin sucking mud in very shallow water before you could sit down in the tube.
If you go with the float tube ,please make sure you know/learn whats under you so your trip does not end up bad,pontoons give you more leeway with the shallower draft.
As for waders it all depends on the water temp. 50 + degree water you can get buy without the neoprenes by dressing properly.For temps below that neoprenes are what I use along with dressing properly. Coldest water I have ever fished was 37 degrees at lone lake,after a couple of hours its time to go in and warm back up.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm

produce2troutcat wrote:First thing I would think about is what kind of shoreline(rocky,shallow mudflats,shoreline that drops into deepwater,boat launch) that you would launch from.Pontoons work on most locations where float tubes really suck on shallow mud flats and rocky/boulder shoreline especially to get out of the water.
Next, what kind of underwater stucture are you going to be fishing near/in. Dangling feet from a float tube can get snared in branches/brush and it is hard to extract yourself.

How mobile do you want to be? float tubes can be carried in long distances where pontoons are limited even with the wheeled cart.

I have had both,now I just have my float tube.Reasons are,
Its more fun when you hook into a big fish that pulls you about.I like the ability of turning on a pinpoint while fighting the fish.
Always having your hands free(not rowing).Better control (less drift) in strong winds. These last two are why I kept the float tube.I really bought the pontoon to fish one lake that required a 100+ ft slog through fin sucking mud in very shallow water before you could sit down in the tube.
If you go with the float tube ,please make sure you know/learn whats under you so your trip does not end up bad,pontoons give you more leeway with the shallower draft.
As for waders it all depends on the water temp. 50 + degree water you can get buy without the neoprenes by dressing properly.For temps below that neoprenes are what I use along with dressing properly. Coldest water I have ever fished was 37 degrees at lone lake,after a couple of hours its time to go in and warm back up.
My reasons for going the float tube route is that I have a 12' boat to use. But it's not always with me and I'd like to get a way to access some small little lakes in spring/summer/fall and not have to deal with switching cars with my dad to have a truck with a tow hitch...

I will not be fishing too many lakes that are shallow and have mucky bottoms. Most will have an adequate depth so I'm not worried about that...

Thanks for all the reports so far fellas. I'm thinking float tube for now....

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:41 pm

All Cabela's, make it easy. Fish Cat 4 and Three Forks or Cabela's Neoprene Waders.
I checked out Joe's this weekend and they had a nice U-Tube for a great price. Shop around. You definitely want a U-Tube for what you are thinking. A pontoon will be to much for what you want to do. Basically, your looking for something to hold air and sit in while you fish. You can save some bucks like I did and spend the rest on fishing gear. Togiak and Three Forks 420 Denier Lug Soles. Still looking for fins though. Probably going to settle with the Creek Company Fins (from Cabela's of course).

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ProP-Junkie
Petty Officer

Post by ProP-Junkie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:06 am

Awoods wrote:Ive never seen anyone carry an anchor in their float tube
Oh yeah, float tube anchors are great!!! small, light and does a good job of holding you in place!!

<>< “If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.” --Doug Larson ><>

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Thanks for all that info guys.
Another question: How easy is it to actually maneuver around? I'm young enough that I'm not worried about killing my knees or not being able to push myself anywhere.
And multiple rods? Pretty easy to stick an extra one on there?

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Thanks for all that info guys.
Another question: How easy is it to actually maneuver around? I'm young enough that I'm not worried about killing my knees or not being able to push myself anywhere.
And multiple rods? Pretty easy to stick an extra one on there?
I carry three with me on the tube I got with no problems. The higher quality tube you get the better mobility and ease on the body. But like you said, your young so no tube will give you any trouble. The only time my body really hurt after fishing out of a tube was when the water was so cold I keep getting cramps. The next day my thighs and calfs were sore. I have floated around in crappy tubes and they can make your butt and lower back feel uncomfortable while your in them. I usually stretch before I get in and after. Kind of my routine. I actually stretch everytime before I go fishing. Kind of my warm-up to get focused.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:58 pm

I own a U-shape float tube. I bought it years ago, around $100, maybe less. I'm sure you can still find them for the price. My backrest is also inflatable, I've always been fine with it. I use Hodgeman I think, Neoprene waders. Definetly need the full size waders, as when you are sitting in the tube if you lean back a little the water line is only about 6 inchs below the opening under your arm pits. I have caddis fins, hard plastic loop around the back of the foot, and shoe lace with a stopper to secure. Also have a pair of wading shoes, but old shoes, maybe 2 sizes too big will work. This time of year I don't use the tube, but I'm sure I'd be starting to cramp up after 2 hours. Its still cold out there...
Also I've only ever taken one rod, but I'm sure you can rig something up. I've always been scared that while fighting a bass close to the tube he could swim under you and punture the tube with the hook. Possible, but hasn't happened to me.
Also when you think about it, its smart to wear a life jacket while tubing. I never worn one, but think I will if I go out this year. If something happens wearing neoprene waders, you're done.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:59 pm

Some thoughts:

- The biggest nuisance about owning and using a float tube, is having to take a pee. It ALWAYS happens that you've suited up in your waders, gotten into your tube, paddled out some distance from shore, and then you need to pee right then and there.

- You can bring a second rod with you. I usually strap the second rod to the float tube, using the velcro straps that are attached to my tube.

- Use a rod leash on both your primary and spare rod. It's real easy to drop gear/tackle into the drink. Even just a piece of old strong string will work for a rod leash.

- If you want an anchor, you don't need a very heavy one to stay anchored. I just tie some rope to an old dumb-bell weight (about 8 lbs I think). You can even use an old plastic milk jug full of sand. Or you can buy a real anchor from the tackle stores.

- ALWAYS wear a life jacket.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:25 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:Some thoughts:

- The biggest nuisance about owning and using a float tube, is having to take a pee. It ALWAYS happens that you've suited up in your waders, gotten into your tube, paddled out some distance from shore, and then you need to pee right then and there.
That is where the adult diapers come in handy. Just throw on a pair of Depends and go to town whenever and wherever you want. If you are to embarassed to where diapers than just go in your waders, if it is cold out it will warm you up for the time being. Just kidding, I would never soil myself.:^o :-$

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:16 pm

LOL.

I've used a square floatation seat pad to give me an extra 3-4" elevation. Just secure it on top of the tube seat. Really helps for us height-challenged guys. And it also gets you more out of the water. And yes - ALWAYS WEAR A LIFE JACKET!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Yeah,Nature's calling is the worst while tubing.You do learn how to kick fast enough to troll for marlin.I once had a White Trumpeter Swan deny me access to the boat launch at Lone Lk while kicking in from the middle of the lake.For about 5 minutes it kept coming at me while I would try to keep it at bay with the flyrod,Took awhile for my buddies to stop teasing me about it.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:55 am

produce2troutcat wrote:Yeah,Nature's calling is the worst while tubing.You do learn how to kick fast enough to troll for marlin.I once had a White Trumpeter Swan deny me access to the boat launch at Lone Lk while kicking in from the middle of the lake.For about 5 minutes it kept coming at me while I would try to keep it at bay with the flyrod,Took awhile for my buddies to stop teasing me about it.
If i was them i would still be teasing you. lol.

i like the float cushon idea. im 5'10" and my float tubes dont sit that high in the water, so i sit pretty low in it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.