Reporting Poachers

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bassmasterderek
Commander

RE:Reporting Poachers

Post by bassmasterderek » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:04 pm

kevinb wrote:I wouldn't tell anyone to confront a poacher. If you do decide to,I would only hope that you don't have your family with you. You never know what psycho you may come across. We all need to be safe out there.
I wouldn't recommend confronting someone trying to break into you car either! But some firefighters are just stubborn.J/J
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:06 pm

kevinb wrote:I wouldn't tell anyone to confront a poacher. If you do decide to,I would only hope that you don't have your family with you. You never know what psycho you may come across. We all need to be safe out there.
I don't think people are as bad as you are making them out to be. I would bet your chances of getting hurt talking to some one about a fishing violation are slim to none. As far as psychos go I am sure you are more likely to get shot for cutting some one off by accident driving down the road.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:55 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:
I wouldn't recommend confronting someone trying to break into you car either! But some firefighters are just stubborn.J/J
All good. But that is my exact point. I let my nerves get the best of me and I had my son with me. I know what I did was stupid,thats why I'm telling you out there. I don't have a problem with confrontation,but we all need to pick and choose are battles.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:08 pm

Great post we have going on here. Thanks for the professional advice Dave. I got the number saved in my phone now. I'm out bass fishing most of the time, I wouldn't even notice a hot blonde on shore sometimes I'm so focused on fishing. I keep my eyes open for poachers though, and vandals.
I was even thinking about taking a day off fishing and hiding in the bushes at lake kapowsin to take down a ice head or two breaking into cars:-$ Kidding.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Powerworm

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:12 pm

ChrisB wrote:Great post we have going on here. Thanks for the professional advice Dave. I got the number saved in my phone now. I'm out bass fishing most of the time, I wouldn't even notice a hot blonde on shore sometimes I'm so focused on fishing. I keep my eyes open for poachers though, and vandals.
I was even thinking about taking a day off fishing and hiding in the bushes at lake kapowsin to take down a ice head or two breaking into cars:-$ Kidding.
No kidding...I loved Kapowsin but havn't been back since the methheads took over

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:12 pm

ChrisB wrote:Great post we have going on here. Thanks for the professional advice Dave. I got the number saved in my phone now. I'm out bass fishing most of the time, I wouldn't even notice a hot blonde on shore sometimes I'm so focused on fishing. I keep my eyes open for poachers though, and vandals.
I stopped going to kapowsin last year because of that crap! I agree!

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:57 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:
I don't think people are as bad as you are making them out to be. I would bet your chances of getting hurt talking to some one about a fishing violation are slim to none. As far as psychos go I am sure you are more likely to get shot for cutting some one off by accident driving down the road.
Your absolutley right.
I should correct this....Notifying some one is one thing and helpful to all of us anglers.
I'm a dedicated muskie fisherman. This is where problems errupt. There are many anglers who HATE muskies(some are on here) There are individuals who intentionally set out to fish and kill muskies. If this is witnessed by a muskie angler or anyone else in the know,this is where usually nasty confrontations will occur. By all means,I'm all for educating someone who just plain doesn't know the rules. But when somebody knows the rules and decides to kill my fishery because their an idiot(s) now their is a problem. This is where I needed to clarify confrontations and having family(kids)present. These kind of exchanges only result in bad news and some poachers will tell you they are intentionally killing your fish. Trust me,it gets heated up and you then realize their are some psychos out there.

I believe most (poachers) are just not informed to the rules. But their are a few that know exactly what they are doing,destoying our fishery.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:55 pm

It is all dependent on situation I agree that there are some things that are just known.(killing a species for personal reasons not food,snagging,and other obvious behavior.)And people breaking these laws are more likely to be confrontational. Just turn them in. No love loss!! But the guy that has came out on your lake that is 5 mph and is tubing you go let him know that if he doesn't stop there will be police called I bet he stops and goes home.(this is what happened last year at Offut)
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kayak chris
Petty Officer

Post by kayak chris » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:22 pm

And all of the above is why I just call them in. Why go all on them. No confrontation is really necessary. Turn in. Increased calls, increased patrols and the poachers fade away. :rambo:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:15 pm

bigbasstaz wrote:It is all dependent on situation I agree that there are some things that are just known.(killing a species for personal reasons not food,snagging,and other obvious behavior.)And people breaking these laws are more likely to be confrontational. Just turn them in. No love loss!! But the guy that has came out on your lake that is 5 mph and is tubing you go let him know that if he doesn't stop there will be police called I bet he stops and goes home.(this is what happened last year at Offut)
Well put 'taz:salut:

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:29 am

I love this topic.I have a great view of Lk Wa. During Sockeye season I report possible Sockeye fisherman.When I see a dead slow troll with poles barely showing I call and report it.Just this last year I did and took alot of static from an owner of another site and eventually was booted for doing it.Some fisher people talk about how horrible it is but rarely do anything about it.
Bigtaz said it correctly.OBVIOUS BEHAVIOR.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:09 pm

I have used the email method three times in the last year and have not received a response. I don't think it is very effective.

Why would someone Poach? I see two types, those that are ignorant to the law or don't care, and those that know what they are doing and are blatant criminals. The fact that I have never seen a poacher busted may also be a factor. Enforcement is stretched thin, I think they need to concentrate on the worst crimes anyway. The more we can help police our own sport the better off we will be.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:28 pm

As I said before it's all situational. You know what really gets me, the littering. I have come across poachers and a stay calm, but, when I find worm containers, fishing line, lure packages, ect, I get irratated. I always try to just pick it up and pack it out.

But what really chaps my @$$ is when I come across mass dumping. I have seen plenty of good hunting and fishing areas get closed because of this disrespect of land. To me a much greater crime then any poaching I have came across.

I know I am getting off topic, But, this is more important to me and more destructive.:batman:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well its not called Catching!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:38 pm

In response to the policeman on the first page of this topic.
Sure you can call 911 but then it falls on deaf ears.I call the game Dept in Mill Creek.Their office is the best.Ive reported rogue nets in the rivers to the WSP and they say "Call the WDFW".The state patrol has never taken the time to call back or to check.Ive gotten totally negative feedback from the "Boys in Blue " when it comes to enforcement.It seems that no one wants to get involved.The Mill Creek office is the best way to report any fishing infractions.I cant speak for any other branch of the WDFW.The Mill Creek office is da best.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:49 pm

I've got Johnny Law one call away. My brother in law is one of the two fish and wild life officers for kittitas county, so when I'm up that way, I keep an open eye for anything that looks suspicious. When I see something suspicious, I call him and he is right on his way... We have a nice little system.

Joe
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!