Green Lake help for newbie

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gtbaker
Angler

Green Lake help for newbie

Post by gtbaker » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi all, here's my story. I fished a little bit as a kid but never all that regularly. Now I've got a 7 year old daughter and a 5 year old son that are dying to catch some fish. We've got basic gear but other than that I'm pretty clueless. The closest place for us is Green Lake. I've been reading the lake reports and forums trying to pick up some tips and there's a ton of good info here.

But I thought I'd just come out and ask all you veterans - if you had some kids that wanted to catch a fish at Green Lake, what would you recommend? Bobber with a live worm? Powerbait? Morning or evening? What side of the lake? Any tips you can give would be appreciated. My son especially wants to hit the lake every night. We were even out last night in the rain. I've been telling him he's got to be patient, but I'd love for him to get something sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for any advice, this is a great forum.

Gabe

gtbaker
Angler

RE:Green Lake help for newbie

Post by gtbaker » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:35 pm

p.s. sorry for the double post

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:40 pm

For trout, use Berkely Power Eggs in chartrouse, on about 2 to 4 ft of leader.
Put a egg wieght on the main line, then tie a swivel on. tie the leader onto the swivel, then the hook with power bait and you should be good. The morning is proboly the best time to go, but right now for the little stocked trout, i dont think its to big of a deal.

hookorcrook
Warrant Officer

Post by hookorcrook » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Gabe, I PMed you some info and a spot that has worked real well for me in the past. Also, the spot can be windy so bundle up. Good Luck!
Suzanne

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:25 pm

JT26 wrote:For trout, use Berkely Power Eggs in chartrouse, on about 2 to 4 ft of leader.
Put a egg wieght on the main line, then tie a swivel on. tie the leader onto the swivel, then the hook with power bait and you should be good. The morning is proboly the best time to go, but right now for the little stocked trout, i dont think its to big of a deal.
JT's idea is perfect. You can always try the old worm and bobber trick. I wouldn't go run to the store and load up just yet. Stick with the basics and if you and the kids really enjoy fishing you can upgrade later. As always with the kids"Patience,patience and a little more patience.

gtbaker
Angler

Post by gtbaker » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:12 pm

JT, danno, and Kevin, thanks for the tips. We will try them out starting tomorrow and report back.

zbo
Petty Officer

Post by zbo » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:36 pm

This is slightly different than what you are sking, and I obviously have no idea about the budget you have. But I first fell in love with fishing when my Dad took me to a trout farm in Sandy, Oregon. Not sure if there is one in your area, but its guaranteed good fishing. THe other tips you were given, are great by the way. Egg sinker with leader is always good.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:41 pm

zbo wrote:This is slightly different than what you are sking, and I obviously have no idea about the budget you have. But I first fell in love with fishing when my Dad took me to a trout farm in Sandy, Oregon. Not sure if there is one in your area, but its guaranteed good fishing. THe other tips you were given, are great by the way. Egg sinker with leader is always good.
Thats another choice for you and your kids gabe. Theres one in Renton and i think Sumner or somewhere down there. Ill post the info soon.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:46 pm

JT26 wrote:
zbo wrote:This is slightly different than what you are sking, and I obviously have no idea about the budget you have. But I first fell in love with fishing when my Dad took me to a trout farm in Sandy, Oregon. Not sure if there is one in your area, but its guaranteed good fishing. THe other tips you were given, are great by the way. Egg sinker with leader is always good.
Thats another choice for you and your kids gabe. Theres one in Renton and i think Sumner or somewhere down there. Ill post the info soon.
Trout Lodge runs a U-FISH located in Orting. Its a few miles south of Sumner and then the Trout Lodge Head Quarters is located in Sumner(but no U-FISH) I take my son here every now and then. Just monster triploids that you can feed. Really cool.

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:47 pm

OK here.
The one in Renton is call Springbrook Trout Farm. It has no website so just google it.
I cant find any info on the one down south. i forgot the city its in. -edit- its in orting.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:49 pm

JT26 wrote:OK here.
The one in Renton is call Springbrook Trout Farm. It has no website so just google it.
I cant find any info on the one down south. i forgot the city its in.
All good JT,

www.troutlodge.com

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:03 pm

My dad refused to take me to the trout farm. :pale:

JT26
Commander

Post by JT26 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Derrick-k wrote:
My dad refused to take me to the trout farm. :pale:
haha so did mine. i asked him before i learned how to really catch fish.

BuckMulligan
Angler

Post by BuckMulligan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm in a very similar situation. I just took my 6-year old out fishing for the first time last week - and again, for the second time, yesterday - and like you I opted for Green Lake because it's close to home. He hasn't caught anything yet - the fishing was terrible the first time (no one around us was getting any bites), and he was cold and fighting the sniffles yesterday so we left before we could give it a good try. Anyway, I figure that bobber fishing is a good introduction, because it's relatively easy to cast and it's easy to see if you get a bite. Does anyone have any strong disagreement with my line of reasoning?

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:05 pm

It can be on and off right now until the next batch of stockers get here. I do okay with power bait, rainbow color using an eggsinker and hook. Just cast it out and wait. Afternoons and evenings will work. Try the docks, next to the aquatheatre or the dock at the south end of the lake.

Every year there's kids fishing thing provided by the WDFW, great deal, for 5 bucks you get a rodnreel, tshirt and catch two trout in a pen area at the North end of the lake. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/youth/fishing_kids.htm

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:21 pm

More info on the April 19 Green Lake kids fishing day...

http://www.seattlechannel.org/news/deta ... 11&Dept=14

Registration is now under way for both events. To sign up any child from age 5 to 14, do one of the following:

Call the Parks Business Service Center at 206-684-5177 between 9 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

And another link for help introducing kids to fishing:

http://www.aa-fishing.com/wa/washington ... shing.html
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you

BuckMulligan
Angler

Post by BuckMulligan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:41 pm

I read about the Green Lake fishing day, and I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal. I'm planning to take my kid. If anyone else is interested, you should be aware that the signup deadline is this Friday (April 11). There's also an identical event at Seward Park on May 17 - sign up (at the same Seattle Parks dept. website mentioned above) by May 9.

clam man
Warrant Officer

Post by clam man » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:56 pm

maybe you can start to teach them how to cast and retrieve a little spinner bait/rooster tail type lure. Even if you don't catch something, it can keep them active and involved. Remember to pinch the barbs on your hooks down, so you can release your fish easier and healthier.

Clam Man
Clam Man

"____________"

urbanangler
Warrant Officer

Post by urbanangler » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm

great idea, I got my kids spin casting with open reels pretty early on to get them more involved
==urban== please don't tell me to C&R or to fish your way, thank you