Good Fisheries Near Kent

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Jollywhite
Petty Officer

Good Fisheries Near Kent

Post by Jollywhite » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:04 pm

I will be in Kent over the weekend and was wondering of any nice lakes nearby that we would have a chance at catching something. Probably just trout this time of year. Lake Fenwick is only a couple miles away from where will be staying. Is it a nice lake? Thanks for your help in advance.

JS

gpc
Admiral

RE:Good Fisheries Near Kent

Post by gpc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:12 pm

I wouldnt fish Fenwick. I have put a lot of hours on that lake for a couple small trout.

There is a couple lakes pretty close in the federal way area that were just stocked. Lake Dolloff and fivemile arnt too far away and have freshly stocked trout. Star lake also in the Federal way area, was also stocked recently but has very limited bank access.

Another option is go farther into kent and hit up meridian, it also just got stocked. Then clark lake, almost accross the street from meridian is a small warm water species lake.

Then there is Morton lake wich is a little futher, towards black diamon and lake Sawyer wich is near that area as well.

Angle lake in Sea Tac (about 5 minute drive from Fenwick) also just got stocked. I have fished it a few times since the stocking and was skunked everytime. But my neighbor caught 4 stockers in an hour the other day.

I have directions for all these lakes if intrested

Jollywhite
Petty Officer

Post by Jollywhite » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:30 pm

Right on man. I appreciate your quick reply. Sounds to me you guys really have a lot of options. Since I will probably only have 3 or 4 hours of free time and you sound like you know the area very well where would you go?
Thanks again bud.

JS

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 pm

Jollywhite wrote:Right on man. I appreciate your quick reply. Sounds to me you guys really have a lot of options. Since I will probably only have 3 or 4 hours of free time and you sound like you know the area very well where would you go?
Thanks again bud.

JS

Yep, no problem. Thats a good qusetion. I would probally hit one of the lakes that were just stocked.

-Dolloff
-fivemile
-Star
-meridian
-angle

Dolloff I have had limited succes and the bank access is very limited

fivemile, same deal but there is a decent dock and some decent bank fishing spots

Star very limited bank access

Angle nice fishing dock but still hasnt seemed to turn on yet

Meridian has a very nice fishing dock, and I have always seemed to pull out at least 1 per trip. I beleive it receved the largest stock so far and the lake get triploids and has a pretty good kokanee population. So I would probally hit meridian

But the stocking report should be out sometime today and I would imagine some more lakes in King couty got more fish planted so just keep your eye on the stocking report

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:27 pm

I've been out twice after the stocking at lake meridian. Both times, skunked. Both times there, I only saw 1 fish total being pulled from the dock.

I was told, the fishing was red hot the first week of the plant. But after that, the school just swam away...:batman:

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:31 pm

I'd try Lake Sawyer. A ton of bass in there. Not sure how its been lately.

Rob G.
Warrant Officer

Post by Rob G. » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:48 pm

I live in Renton, have an office in Kent and haved fished Meridian a bunch of times....and caught nothin. And that's from a boat! I would hit up some of the smaller lakes like Angle or Star. Meridian is too big unless you have a boat and a fish finder.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Rob G. wrote:I live in Renton, have an office in Kent and haved fished Meridian a bunch of times....and caught nothin. And that's from a boat! I would hit up some of the smaller lakes like Angle or Star. Meridian is too big unless you have a boat and a fish finder.
i use to fish meridian alot in the past. havent been there in years but we use to knock the stockers there pretty good.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Holy cow, I just got back fishing from Lake Meridian. I havent caught anything there since Jan. Not even a bite. Been there 3 times after the so called planting and nothing to show for it. And in those 3 outtings, I only saw a total of 1 fish being pulled in, by anybody. Today, I had some extra time and decided to put in a hr or 2 of fishing.

Got to the dock at 6PM. There's a few guys fishing scattered. But I was on the right dock, with a fellow. He's been there for an hr. Was using a bottom setup with PB I think. Anyways, he said not a single bite.

So I decided to throw my kastmasters. Started off with my fav 1/8 oz orange/silver. Threw it straight out, WHACK! A solid hit. Missed. Damn it. Throw it in the same spot, and this time, landed this beast. A whopping 7-8" or so.

My first 7-8 casts, I had a fish, or a miss. It was crazy. But, the other guy was just sitting there, with no bites at all.. I was letting my kastmaster sink pretty deep, and that's where it seems they were hitting most of them.

I missed A LOT of strikes. I guess the fish arent taking the lure completely, or at an odd angle? After about 8-10 fish landed. I missed a strike and my line snapped. Looked like my line wrapped itself around the tip of my pole and broke there.

So I tied on my new "dare devil" colored kastmaster. Caught a few, and missed a few. But it wasnt as hot as the orange/silver. So I put on my chartreuse/silver one. Seems to work a little bit better. When that slowed down, I put on a gold with reflector kastmaster. Caught a few and missed a few with that.

Now, I'm at about 18-19 fish caught. It's about 7:15, and I start to see a lot of fish surfacing all around. I was working the kastmasters slow and deep. This time, i tried to work it faster and keep them up high. Caught a couple more, and i decided I wanted to try out one of my new floating minnows.
"Yo-Zuri Pin Magnet Minnows"

I think it's the #63 one, 2.75" size.

Anyways, I've tried using it a few times for fun, and havent caught anything. First cast with it. Jerk it to get it going and BAM! Fish on. Had a few strikes within pole distance. Saw my lure jerk, the slowly float up, and all of a sudden, a fish grabs onto it and pulls it. But somehow, I missed a couple of those.

But anyways, in 2 hrs of fishing, I landed 24, and lost 4, right in front of the dock. My friends have a rule, if it comes off within pole reach, it counts as a catch:albino: . I stopped counting how many misses, after 15. By the end of the night, it was well past 15.

I wanted to squeeze in 30 fish before I leaving, but they were getting close to locking the gates.

So, I dont know if they stocked it the lake again this weekend, or if the school of fish decided to come to the east side of the lake. Or if the nice warm weather got them going. But whatever. Lake Meridian is hot hot hot for me right now.

Cant wait until these fish get bigger, assuming others will release them.

ps, I just started using lures this past winter. Is it normal to be missing so many fishes with lures? I assume a major factor is the lure size to fish size ratio is the reason behind this? Or maybe my hook sets? I personally think I'm setting it hard enough for trout. Or maybe my line is stretching too much? I did have a lot of fish come flying off when i was reeling them in. And they fly out of the water from the force and come flying right at me like 10 ft across the surface. When the hit the water, my lure popped out a few times.

They are all treble hooks btw.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:36 am

probably setting hook to hard and ripping the lure out of there mouths. i find that you only need a soft "sweep" hookset on treble hooks.

but like i said above i have always done really good there, so im not suprised you did so well.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:23 am

There are a number of ways one might loose/miss a fish, but I think tnj is right on the money. But somedays its seems like you are a hook set pro, and others you cant get the hook to stick if your life depended on it.

I think the lakes around here are starting to turn on, my buddy limited at Angle 2 days in a row. 3 yellow power eggs

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:26 am

gpc wrote:There are a number of ways one might loose/miss a fish, but I think tnj is right on the money. But somedays its seems like you are a hook set pro, and others you cant get the hook to stick if your life depended on it.

I think the lakes around here are starting to turn on, my buddy limited at Angle 2 days in a row. 3 yellow power eggs
yeah i think a few lakes are turning on. i have been limiting everytime i go to boren, 5mile was a different story when i was there two days ago, only one small fish. although aaron said he limited there yesterday, whatever you do dont go to finwick lol. i was there yesterday and didnt get a bump. i will most likely be at boren today. will let you guys know how i do.
Anthony

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:37 am

tnj8222 wrote:
gpc wrote:There are a number of ways one might loose/miss a fish, but I think tnj is right on the money. But somedays its seems like you are a hook set pro, and others you cant get the hook to stick if your life depended on it.

yeah i think a few lakes are turning on. i have been limiting everytime i go to boren, 5mile was a different story when i was there two days ago, only one small fish. although aaron said he limited there yesterday, whatever you do dont go to finwick lol. i was there yesterday and didnt get a bump. i will most likely be at boren today. will let you guys know how i do.

I dont know what it is about Fenwick and 5mile, but I cant catch trout at either one. Did you try for any crappie at 5mile?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:46 am

gpc wrote:
tnj8222 wrote:

I dont know what it is about Fenwick and 5mile, but I cant catch trout at either one. Did you try for any crappie at 5mile?
no i didnt. its still a little early for me to try there. atleast without a boat and a fish finder. when the water temp hits 55 they will be coming shallow to spawn though, at that time they will be biting like crazy. most likely end of april i will start there for crappie.
Anthony

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:26 am

kevinb wrote:I'd try Lake Sawyer. A ton of bass in there. Not sure how its been lately.

Sawyer is awesome! I fished it with a buddy last year and we caught lots of fish. Largemouth, smallmouth, crappie, and perch are abundant. There's a lot of dead water, however, so don't stay in one spot for very long if you're not catching fish.

Rule #1: Fish where the fish are...
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

crawdad
Petty Officer

Post by crawdad » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:51 am

Near Lake Sawyer there is also lake Morton and Lake Wilderness and Lake Desire that are also good lakes when the temp goes up. Lake Morton is supposed to get stocked this month but I do not know about Desire.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:31 pm

crawdad wrote: Near Lake Sawyer there is also lake Morton and Lake Wilderness and Lake Desire that are also good lakes when the temp goes up. Lake Morton is supposed to get stocked this month but I do not know about Desire.
I've had very good luck at Morton. I just wish they would put a dock on there.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:05 am

Boren turned out to be really good yesterday. limited in about 20 minutes. i put up a report about it.
Anthony

crawdad
Petty Officer

Post by crawdad » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:08 am

There was a dock last year for a short time that was brought over from one of the houses but the state took it out. It has very good for me until the fourth of July to many fireworks in the water. About a week after everything gets cleaned up it goes back to normal.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:17 am

Steel Lake is also a good spot! Try it out,..caught a few nice LM and trout. :fish: :fish: :fish:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"