flys for stocked trout?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
big fish lite line
Commander

flys for stocked trout?

Post by big fish lite line » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:57 pm

does anybody have any good fly patterns and techniques for those dumb stocked fish? I was thinking of maybe a pink wooly bugger. not much of a fly fisherman but I'd like to try it out.
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

gpc
Admiral

RE:flys for stocked trout?

Post by gpc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:11 pm

I am not much of a flyfisherman either. But at certain lakes I like to troll with my ultra light and 4lb test and thats a blast. As far as patterns I dont have a clue. I have a whole box of flys but dont know what any of their names are. I just try and "match the hatch". A pink lady use to work really well at mineral. I would try a wooley buger in a natural color. I have heard trolling these on leaded line works really well for big trout.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:30 pm

A wooly bugger or a streamer in just about any color will work well. As you already stated they are dumb, so it don't take much to fool them. The nice thing about the buggers and streamer is their visability to the fish. They just seem to produce better than a more natural fly for the stockers.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pitts38pirates
Angler

Post by pitts38pirates » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:42 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm

pitts38pirates wrote:
mallard83 wrote:A wooly bugger or a streamer in just about any color will work well. As you already stated they are dumb, so it don't take much to fool them. The nice thing about the buggers and streamer is their visability to the fish. They just seem to produce better than a more natural fly for the stockers.
i was thinkin of fishin a lake called beaver lake out by issaquah tomorow is that the name of it? anyways, would i be best to troll wolley buggers on leaded line for these fish, or should i use powerbait? i'm new to this area, so bear with me, i am encouraged by the great report section on site. we didnt have this in penn.
pitts: Throw up a new thread with your questions for it. PM me if you got questions too. Let's try and keep this track on its proper course, which is about flies for stocker trout...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Try a wooly bugger with an olive body, black hackle, and black marabou tail. I've used a jig version with a black 1/8 oz jig head and they work very well.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:47 pm

I like the black or olive wooley buggers but.. I just use a keel sinker with a long leader instead of leaded line.
Just keep changing the weight until you locate the right depth.
Also I don't just troll them, I twitch them while i troll- bugs don't swim in a straight line at the same speed all the time.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:35 am

egg sucking leech = lights out

SmokinAces
Petty Officer

Post by SmokinAces » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Black and Olive Bunny Leeches work well too. :-$
Pressin' Fish On!

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:18 pm

A wooly bugger is always a good choice. Pink would probably catch fish. However, I prefer natural colors, ie olive, black, brown flies, etc, or a combination of those colors.

P.S. Even if fishing for stockies in a recently planted lake, there will be times when nothing will work, regardless of color, presentation or depth. When they aren't hungry, they aren't hungry! I don't care if it's worms, eggs and power bait from the bank or flies and tackle from boats....sometimes the fish just win.